• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamadoo Reloaded

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Well a few years ago I built a custom yamadoo with a yamaha vector engine with turbo. When finished I found more than a few things I would have done differently.

So this past week I managed to position myself to buy some components to do the yamadoo again.

Lots up in the air on how this will go as far as suspension track length and stuff.

But starting with a 2005 rt1000 chassis. This gives me a lot more room in the bulkhead to put the engine where I want it and use the stock gas tank and mount the supercharger. Engine and supercharger have not arrived yet but here is the chassis all cleaned up.(sucks working on something dirty).

Things such as header, exhaust, front suspension will be all custom to set this build apart. I would love to put a belt drive on it but I also have a budget and it is tight.

Last edited:
T

tjc

Jan 8, 2008
Are you doing the side plates again or something different? I'm doing nearly the same project but with the nytro engine. I'm excited to follow this one. Are you doing a tunnel dump?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Are you doing the side plates again or something different? I'm doing nearly the same project but with the nytro engine. I'm excited to follow this one. Are you doing a tunnel dump?

I was planning to go over the top of the engine with some 3/8" thick 7075 plates that will have a huge amount machined out of them. But I am not really sure. When I get th block and can mess with positioning it in the chassis some I will know more. Hopefully by the end of the week. Honestly I am not sure the rt chassis needs anymore bracing. The darn thing is built so crazy heavy. I think doo must have had plans of mounting a big 4 stroke in this chassis. I swear the material thickness is likely .020" more than the rev and way more bracing.

I did remove the cast rt motor mounts today as well. Here is a pic of them off the bulkhead. Just need to get a plate made of that simulates the jackshaft location to temporarily mount to the bulkhead to square the block to.

Tjc. Please start a new thread about what your doing maybe we can collaborate on this and together have a nice finished project.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN

And no tunnel dump here. Going to build a 3 into 1 ss header that exits to the chaincase side and dumps into a muffler. This will likely be one of the coolest parts on the sled. and serves a dual purpose if i ever decide i want a turbo on it rather than the supercharger i can easily do a side mount. Not a lot of room in the tunnel on the rev or rt and I will not be doing a us you fuel tank for it this time around that was one this I really did not care for on the other one. I want this sled to look like a rt on the outside and fit and finish to be like it could have rolled off the assembly line this way. Custom tank takes that away.

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Did a little work today. First thing first found some common rivet/hole locations on boths sides of the sled to work off of. Then build some plates off the jackshaft cast support to give proper location for the jackshaft on either side. This will help me to bring the engine square to the jackshaft when I set it in to find the best spot for it. This is a bit different than I did it last time.

Can't wait to get the block later in the week and find out where it will sit in the chassis with the yamaha ctc for the clutches. Then it will be a matter of poster board, then aluminum sheet and then taking measurements off the aluminum sheets to machine the thick billet aluminum into lightweight strong billet braces that the engine and jackshaft will be attached to.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Ordered some 7075-t6 plate this morning. For a great price. $90sjipped for a .375x12"x48". That should easily make my side plates I was thinking 6 wide may do it originally. 7075 is almost twice the tensil strength of 6061.

Also slowly getting my engine and supercharger parts in the mail. Here is a little taste of the block sitting in the chassis. I am amazed at how much bigger the bulkhead area is. Someone said 2" I think it seems like more. I was super restrained in the rev and I have all sorts of room to work with in the rt. it is much needed. I need to find someone with a vector that I can measure some points on. I have to make sure that the vector engine is centered in the chassis as with the super it is just as important to get the clutch side right as well at the mag side.

Either way here is a pic.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I remember this build the first time, should be pretty epic after learning a few things from the first build!!

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I remember this build the first time, should be pretty epic after learning a few things from the first build!!

Money May be the only thing that holds me back. I would have liked to start with a prormk chassis or a xp. But this will work and it will still be fun and not cost me a arm and a leg.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Here is a very poor pic of a rough cutout of the design I am working on. Easy to cut out the first pc in tag board. This was the first attempt of the drawing from autoCAD for fit up. I am happy with it. I think a couple revisions and I will cut a panel out of sheet aluminum and clamp it to get my jackshaft and mounting hole locations then measure off my reference points and draw them in on CAD. Then it should be as simple as cleaning it up. Adding alot of holes to make it light and then onto machining the 3/8" aluminum. Granted this is not going to happen overnight. . . LOL.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Aluminum mockup plate cut. I will be bolting this to the bulkhead and marking hole locations and then transfer them to the cad file. Then I should have a drawing to cut my final parts off of.

You can see some of the detail of the area I am planning to cut out.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Final CAD drawing for clutch side. The mag side is done to but ended up being a little different due to mounting the supercharger and the chaincase. Now just to find time to machine them.

They should be right around 3 lbs each. I figure not to bad for something that is going to be super strong. <STYLE type=text/css><!--td.attachrow { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; }td.attachheader { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; background-color: #D1D7DC; }table.attachtable { font: normal 12px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; border-collapse : collapse; }--></STYLE>

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Very nice buddy! One recommendation I would throw out there, is to change cutouts to triangles as they are the strongest geometric shape and that piece will be prone to a lot of pushing and pulling. Just my 2 cents, other then that nice build so far..

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Very nice buddy! One recommendation I would throw out there, is to change cutouts to triangles as they are the strongest geometric shape and that piece will be prone to a lot of pushing and pulling. Just my 2 cents, other then that nice build so far..

Ok I will redraw that tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
ill be honest, on the one i did, same chassis and i only ran a small little peice of chormoly from the shock tower down to the jacksahft mount and its already so dang strong I had no issues. my motor mounts went to the factory holes from the RT and it all worked out nice, without the brace i had a a little bit of flex but those things should rock. the RT bulkhead is SO much stronger then the rev. the nice thing is you dont have to cut away under the primary for the gear reduction like i did.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
ill be honest, on the one i did, same chassis and i only ran a small little peice of chormoly from the shock tower down to the jacksahft mount and its already so dang strong I had no issues. my motor mounts went to the factory holes from the RT and it all worked out nice, without the brace i had a a little bit of flex but those things should rock. the RT bulkhead is SO much stronger then the rev. the nice thing is you dont have to cut away under the primary for the gear reduction like i did.

I thought about using the mounts from the RT. . . but I felt as though they were not going to acomplish what I wanted. Two many forces going in different directions. The chassis is already beefie. But I will put money on it that it will flex. Also I took the front motor mount shelf out. It gave me a ton of room taking it out and it was Heavy. I would say 3 lbs and the cast rear mounts are likely a lb each. So by removing them and adding the plates how I want i am not gaining hardly any weight.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
nice! I was very limited fab wise when i did mine, so i stuck to what was already there. I think where your headed should be a lot stronger overall.

I bet opening up that front shelf really makes the front WAY open. gonna be a WAY easier setup to work on then your first one thats for sure!!

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
nice! I was very limited fab wise when i did mine, so i stuck to what was already there. I think where your headed should be a lot stronger overall.

I bet opening up that front shelf really makes the front WAY open. gonna be a WAY easier setup to work on then your first one thats for sure!!

Yes and the steering is going to get creative cause pulling the carbs and the intercooler on the other one was a big pain to change jets. I am not exactly sure how I will do it but I am thinking like polaris does on the pro if I have enough room above the carbs and engine to support the post how it needs to be supported when doing it that way.

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Have you thought about going to a u joint style steering post, my buddy has this system on his turbo nytro and it is sooo smooth ! We were going to use it on my nypro but we had enough room to use factory setup. Also your mount will be best route as it will link front and rear sections together and provide much more rigid platform.

We also designed motor mounts on nypro to put some of flex back into motor instead of all into chassis, I guess what I'm saying is we made the motor a part of chassis so as chassis takes abuse it will send some shock load to motor mounts as the nytro motor mounts are strong as hell! Can't wait to show these things off!

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Have you thought about going to a u joint style steering post, my buddy has this system on his turbo nytro and it is sooo smooth ! We were going to use it on my nypro but we had enough room to use factory setup. Also your mount will be best route as it will link front and rear sections together and provide much more rigid platform.

We also designed motor mounts on nypro to put some of flex back into motor instead of all into chassis, I guess what I'm saying is we made the motor a part of chassis so as chassis takes abuse it will send some shock load to motor mounts as the nytro motor mounts are strong as hell! Can't wait to show these things off!

Definately allowing the block to become part of the chassis. Totally agree. I am excited to see your NYpro as well.

Also the knuckle style is on my radar.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I relocated the top mount forward kinda like you can do on a rev and that gave me quite a bit of room. also looks like your motor is layed over more so should give you even more room yet! still a pita,

U-joint would be slick tho! i just like simple straight post stuff!!

Premium Features