• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flatbeds - thoughts, opinions, etc..

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Thinking of ditching my sled deck & truck bed and going flat bed route.

If you have a flatbed tell me where you got it, what you paid(if you don't mind) what you do and don't like, ramp storage, mods you made to it, maybe you built yourself, steel vs alum, etc...

Obiviously I will be hauling two sleds on it and going on my 2500hd.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I'm running a flatbed that I built on my old f250 crew cab. I store the 7 foot bi-fold against the bangboard, I nose the sleds against the ramp and (sometimes) throw a bungee on it. I plan to bolt some kind of channel on the bangboard above where the sled's bumper sits so I don't have to move the sleds forward once they're up there.

Normally the flatbed is 6'10" but I built extensions with short sides that slide into receivers on each side to get 8'.

I built almost everything out of scrap/remnant from my old work otherwise I would have hinged the sides and probably done a tri-fold so the track isn't sitting on the ramp tabs (not that big a deal though).

Watching folks load their deck makes me glad I have a flat bed. BTW I can fit two ATVs sideways without the extensions.

S
Dec 22, 2012
Rosthern, SK
I have a '01 Dodge 3500 dual wheels, Cummins, 6 speed. I ditched the 8' dually box immediately after purchasing the truck and had a steel deck custom made which is 8' wide and 8.5' long.
I made an extension for the deck which gives me approximately 11' in total length. I made a top for the deck out of 2x4 and plywood. I bolt the top to the deck with three 3/8 bolts on each side and have not had an issue to date.
My first version was about 47" high inside and would accommodate my '02 Summit. I could put the Summit and a wide ski Renegade side by side.
I got a '13 RMK 600 144 this year and had to raise the top so I am about 55" inside.
I have to be careful when loading the sled that I don't get cloths lined by the top! I can raise the roof on the back section if I have to.
I am 65 and finding it more difficult to horse things around but I can mount the deck extension by hand. For the top I use a loader tractor on my farm to put it on the deck and can place it properly with a crowbar.
My 2 cents worth
Stan

R
Dec 15, 2008
I too went the flatbed route after the sled deck.
I have a full lotus sled deck, so I took off the legs and had a friend build a custom steel mount that still has the trays for the ramps(two ramps that connect to make the 11ft). There is a fold down door that has my led lights and it folds down onto the bumper to get out the ramps.
Best thing I have done yet. I only have a half ton so not dually so the expandable sides is nice when not hauling sleds.
Nice to have weight so low and now can carry four moto bikes easy as well.
Hope you find something that works for you.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Ran an aluminum flatbed for a couple seasons, I had custom 10' ramps made that I could store in the stake pockets of the bed. Used super clamps on the sleds, made things very easy. Got rid of it though, just didn't like having an 8' wide bed all the time. It would be cool it was extendable as far as width goes. Nice not having the sleds up high like on a deck.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Silver lake used to make a real nice flatbed/deck with a storable ramp underneath and flip down sides. I have a set of plans that I drew that a few years ago I have been waiting to get the right pickup to build the bed for.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I too went the flatbed route after the sled deck.
I have a full lotus sled deck, so I took off the legs and had a friend build a custom steel mount that still has the trays for the ramps(two ramps that connect to make the 11ft). There is a fold down door that has my led lights and it folds down onto the bumper to get out the ramps.
Best thing I have done yet. I only have a half ton so not dually so the expandable sides is nice when not hauling sleds.
Nice to have weight so low and now can carry four moto bikes easy as well.
Hope you find something that works for you.

Got a picture?

Has anyone bought a flatbed? Proline or bradford built? What other brands are out there?

R
Dec 15, 2008
Ya. Hope this picture works.
It sits a little higher due to the the ramps stored under the deck but it has been the best thing I have done since buying the sled deck.
If you want some specific pictures, let me know.

IMG_0825.jpg

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Thinking of ditching my sled deck & truck bed and going flat bed route.

If you have a flatbed tell me where you got it, what you paid(if you don't mind) what you do and don't like, ramp storage, mods you made to it, maybe you built yourself, steel vs alum, etc...

Obiviously I will be hauling two sleds on it and going on my 2500hd.

I lucked out and found a steel flatbed already on truck 2003 dodge dually the 4x4 6 speed 4 door (real rare)and because it had flatbed was discounted alot.
( bed a little rusty probably older from other truck) 8 ft wide 9 ft long hauls 2 sleds just fine and i usually have a older backup sled just incase while hauling 24 enclosed trailer, i have side boards for it to as to haul + cut wood (that i find when sledding) for firewood so works great for that also , and not up as high as a sled deck either, been real pleased with it and if i had a regular bed i would definatly buy a flat bed with stake pockets in it, only thing it is a little narrow for 2 older mxz's (wider stance) summits are fine.
have a small sled trailer that i use in spring and this way haul 4 sleds same time.

S
Dec 22, 2012
Rosthern, SK
I have some pictures available at Dropbox which show what my setup looks like.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j6ig2ny94ilir5d/Ejiplg35Oe
I should have taken some loading the box on the deck. I still am on the farm and use my loader tractor for that.
The ramp I use is aluminum, 48" wide and will fold 2 times. It will fit under the running board of the sleds.
There are many ways to to this. Dream until you come up with something that works for you.
Stan

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have some pictures available at Dropbox which show what my setup looks like.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j6ig2ny94ilir5d/Ejiplg35Oe
I should have taken some loading the box on the deck. I still am on the farm and use my loader tractor for that.
The ramp I use is aluminum, 48" wide and will fold 2 times. It will fit under the running board of the sleds.
There are many ways to to this. Dream until you come up with something that works for you.
Stan

Nice build. I'm working on a build with a similar concept but the deck on the truck will be 12' with a top on it like the tops on the Floe Trailers and a full skirting surround with storage. It will be very overkill when done but it's only purpose will be for hauling toys.
<script type="text/html" id="overlay_tmpl">
</script>

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Great ideas. I am about to start on my sled hauler this summer. 1984 chevy 1 ton crew cab dually with a lq4 6.0, turbo 400 with a gear vendors overdrive so I can split gears. I am going to build a flatbed as well. This trucks only purpose is to haul sleds. I am giving up my current truck to build this and buy a car for everyday use since the thought of driving a 1 ton dually everyday is terrible. Here's a photo of it in 2wd form, I bought a 87 4wd rolling chassis I am swapping everything over to.
36b9cf34ccde6799397c437a5a7f6e86_zpsc1fc814b.jpg

Premium Features