• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Found the noise

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
A little over a week ago I put a post about a funny knocking noise
Coming from the left side of the sled at that time could not find
Anything wrong at all, the noise would come and go, checked clutches
And drive shaft and fond nothing. Had the knock return yesterday about
Half way into the ride, layed the sled on it side and descovered
That the clutch side drive shaft bearing was causing the tunnel
To flex out and then snap back, like I said this would come and go.
It felt like someone lightly tapping on the bottom of my boot.
Sled has 800 miles, it is at the dealer right now for repairs.
This on a 13 Pro.

Last edited:
J
May 31, 2011
I have had this since 200 miles. Now have 650. Bearing and/or shaft out of spec. replaced bearing, drive shaft and belt drive gears since they also were out of round causing the whole thing to want to vibrate. Dealer couldnt figure it out until they took the drive shaft out and the bearing fell off the drive shaft.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
I had not realized just how much vibration I my sled had until I took my friends 13 Pro for a ride, it was night and day difference. Now that I think about it, I had notice a slight difference around the same 200 mile mark but thought it was just getting broken in, now I know deferent. My dealer is not open on Monday so on Tuesday I plan on calling and fill them in on some the info I have read on line. They know I'm planning on leaving to go to McCall on Friday, the dealer said they will over night any parts so I can have my sled in time to go. Hope it won't be a rush job and is done right.

R
Nov 26, 2007
BOzeman MT
I had the same thing today happen after putting on 50 miles of 2 ft pow. on the way out on the trail started hearing a knocking noise, pulled over and my belt way starting to come apart. I put a new belt on and it was ok till i hit 30 mph and it is definitely noticeable. Any suggestions on what it could be its a 12 pro. I have not iced a bit of vibration on the right side feels like my foot is numb.

Last edited:

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Dealer just called and it was the drive shaft bearing on the clutch side that went out it ruined the drive shaft at the same time, got lucky and they had a new shaft and bearing in stock and sled is ready to go. Hope this was just a fluke but something tells me its not, wish it had a bearing I could grease.
leaving for McCall on Friday will give it a good test should put 2 to 300 miles on while their.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Dealer just called and it was the drive shaft bearing on the clutch side that went out it ruined the drive shaft at the same time, got lucky and they had a new shaft and bearing in stock and sled is ready to go. Hope this was just a fluke but something tells me its not, wish it had a bearing I could grease.
leaving for McCall on Friday will give it a good test should put 2 to 300 miles on while their.

Just a quick update, run sled on stand this morning and their is a huge difference, feels like a brand new sled, thinking that the bearing had been going out from day one, surprised it lasted for 800 miles. Time will tell. Will report back when I return from McCall.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Just a quick update, run sled on stand this morning and their is a huge difference, feels like a brand new sled, thinking that the bearing had been going out from day one, surprised it lasted for 800 miles. Time will tell. Will report back when I return from McCall.

Endo1, I too get a clicking going down hill and noticable when lots of snow is in the skid. It clears when back on trail. I feel it through my left boot.

I thought it must be ice build up but could never find it.

Does this sound similar to your experience?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Thanks Endo1 , after reading your post I went home and found this:

Friend and I checked our bearings and both found this on our 2013, 163 Pro's at 1500 and 2000 kms . Of course both machines are going to need new driveshafts. The only thing I noticed was a clicking sound and a could feel it in left running board on occassion but thought it was ice build up. This happened almost from day 1. My buddy had no clue there was an issue.

The 600 of mine with similar km's, looks fine.

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 6,319
J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
If you have that noise shine a light on the outside of that bearing and stick your head in the tunnel to see if there is light coming through. Might be the best way to detect if it's not obvious like in the above picture.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Endo1, I too get a clicking going down hill and noticable when lots of snow is in the skid. It clears when back on trail. I feel it through my left boot.

I thought it must be ice build up but could never find it.

Does this sound similar to your experience?

Yes that is exactly it, looks like others are finding the same thing.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
I see others are finding the same thing, for a long time I would have bet money
that it was ice build up because of the way it would come and go, now I know different. When I picked my sled up at Dealers, I seen a Pro they had just started to work on, it had a very loose QD belt, the bearings seem to be tight but their was a small amount of slop in the brake rotor, I would think that the jack shaft bearing and maybe the drive shaft bearing are both starting to go, will try to find out what they come with.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
I see others are finding the same thing, for a long time I would have bet money
that it was ice build up because of the way it would come and go, now I know different. When I picked my sled up at Dealers, I seen a Pro they had just started to work on, it had a very loose QD belt, the bearings seem to be tight but their was a small amount of slop in the brake rotor, I would think that the jack shaft bearing and maybe the drive shaft bearing are both starting to go, will try to find out what they come with.

Talk to the dealer and it turned out that the jack shaft had spun inside the bearing and had wore down close to a 1/4 inch. Something to keep an eye on!!!!!!!!!!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My bearing looked good. The driveshaft must have been moving in the bearing to wear it down so much. Maybe the dealer set my sled up with too tight of a track from new that could have aggravated this? I thought it was snug but not too tight.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Just returned from McCall ID, had a great ride and no problems with my sled, put 200 + hard miles on, dropped in the back side of some areas that I have not ever ridden before, got to do some almost vertical pulls and all I can say is this sled is great! It looked like a Pro RMK convention, some of my friends out of the Chelan WA area arrived on the second day and every where you looked it was Polaris Pro's. ( I did see 2 or 3 XP's and a couple of Cats) Two of my friends had the top bolt on the jack shaft come a little loose, but we fond it before any damage could be done, something everyone needs to keep an eye on until you have time to take your sled in for the update. Will try to post a couple picks later.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Just returned from McCall ID, had a great ride and no problems with my sled, put 200 + hard miles on, dropped in the back side of some areas that I have not ever ridden before, got to do some almost vertical pulls and all I can say is this sled is great! It looked like a Pro RMK convention, some of my friends out of the Chelan WA area arrived on the second day and every where you looked it was Polaris Pro's. ( I did see 2 or 3 XP's and a couple of Cats) Two of my friends had the top bolt on the jack shaft come a little loose, but we fond it before any damage could be done, something everyone needs to keep an eye on until you have time to take your sled in for the update. Will try to post a couple picks later.

Here are a few picks from McCall ID.

Attachments

• McCall 2013 011.jpg
    McCall 2013 011.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 111
  • McCall 2013 014.jpg
    McCall 2013 014.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 122
  • McCall 2013 009.jpg
    McCall 2013 009.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 100
  • McCall 2013 015.jpg