• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idler/bogie wheels, NEEDED??

W

wh1rly

Jan 14, 2013
CANADA
Are the in and outer idler wheel needed on the 2013 m8 pc le? If I remove them I don't see anything happening correct? I've heard of them bending skid rails. What the hell is the purpose of them anyways there sure not supported very well. Just asking in the end if I take them off I'm not going to loose my track or wreck something else am I?

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
they prevent hifax wear, if you run a lot of trails you will go through highfax hundreds of miles sooner.

but i dont care about that cause hifax are cheap and rails are not!

BDX sells two wheel kit for the zero pro cross shaft. you can also place these cross shaft bogie kits anywhere on your skid.

but not having a cross shaft makes the rails bend as the bogie gets pushed up in tern losing its vertical strength

if you run more trails then pow pow then i would keep at least the outside front ones on.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
take them off if you dont ride too many trails

Attachments

• 2013-01-19_11-15-04_379.jpg
    2013-01-19_11-15-04_379.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 170
W

wh1rly

Jan 14, 2013
CANADA
How soon we looking at replacing these hifax? 1000 miles or sooner cause there only 30 bucks a pop and not to bad to replace. Cause replacing a rails like 200 bucks ha. Ac should just make a through axle stock with there idler wheels would make this so much easier instead of having to spend more money on aftermarket part. Think they would do things right to begin with.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
How soon we looking at replacing these hifax? 1000 miles or sooner cause there only 30 bucks a pop and not to bad to replace. Cause replacing a rails like 200 bucks ha. Ac should just make a through axle stock with there idler wheels would make this so much easier instead of having to spend more money on aftermarket part. Think they would do things right to begin with.

I get over a 1000 miles out of them without wheels

W

wh1rly

Jan 14, 2013
CANADA
take them off if you dont ride too many trails

Dave, I mostly ride in fields, hills and do some ditch banging and do about 5 mountain trips a year, I took the inner idlers off and i ordered the two wheel idler bdx kit. I also ordered the anti stab kit as well, figure that'll be okay for what I'm doing or will I need new hyfax every 300 or so miles I have no idea how long they should last anyways.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
dave, are you sure your shock rod wont hit that cross bar in a bottom out situation? cause my 10 M would have (havnt tested this skid) have you taken the air out of the skid and make sure the stops hit before that cross bar hits the shock rod?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
dave, are you sure your shock rod wont hit that cross bar in a bottom out situation? cause my 10 M would have (havnt tested this skid) have you taken the air out of the skid and make sure the stops hit before that cross bar hits the shock rod?

I haven't added any shafts, just the two BDX kits and they replaced existing shafts

Attachments

• 2013-01-21_17-38-40_564.jpg
    2013-01-21_17-38-40_564.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 2013-01-21_17-39-14_848.jpg
    2013-01-21_17-39-14_848.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 111

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Dave, I mostly ride in fields, hills and do some ditch banging and do about 5 mountain trips a year, I took the inner idlers off and i ordered the two wheel idler bdx kit. I also ordered the anti stab kit as well, figure that'll be okay for what I'm doing or will I need new hyfax every 300 or so miles I have no idea how long they should last anyways.

you probably need some wheels then, but you may get by with the BDX kits and scratchers

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Polaris from what I've seen don't come with bogie wheels how do they add up to these sleds and the hyfax wear?

and most Polaris dealers sell a wheel kit, they make more money off you that way......you also have to buy extra coolers, stronger bumper, stronger running boards...........oh never mind:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
W

wh1rly

Jan 14, 2013
CANADA
and most dealers sell a wheel kit, they make more money off you that way......you also have to by extra coolers, stronger bumper, stronger running boards...........oh never mind:face-icon-small-win

haha, i think i feel what your saying :bathbaby::face-icon-small-con

W

wh1rly

Jan 14, 2013
CANADA
AC invented hyfax slide rails over 40 years ago to get away from the skid full of wheels and all their downsides. What's old is new again.

Lol so ur saying get rid of the crap inner wheels for how im riding? to many things to know on snow machines my head may explode I'm i perfectionist, to meticulous for my own good, and annoying to most ha......:face-icon-small-con

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Even if the two sets of wheels isn't enough, you can add another anti-stab kit anywhere in the skid( as long as it doesn't impede travel.)
I've had 3 customers in the last few weeks alone buy extra kits for that, I assume because of the pitiful snow year.

Btw, I recommend running a 2012+ anti-stab kit on any of the sleds, it is a stronger setup, same for the other ones you may add.

I get 1200 to 1500 per hyfax with just the inner idler kit and rear wheels btw.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

W

wh1rly

Jan 14, 2013
CANADA
Even if the two sets of wheels isn't enough, you can add another anti-stab kit anywhere in the skid( as long as it doesn't impede travel.)
I've had 3 customers in the last few weeks alone buy extra kits for that, I assume because of the pitiful snow year.

Btw, I recommend running a 2012+ anti-stab kit on any of the sleds, it is a stronger setup, same for the other ones you may add.

I get 1200 to 1500 per hyfax with just the inner idler kit and rear wheels btw.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

Is there an easy way to tell if your hyfax is wore out?

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
1/2 inch wrench shouldn't fit anywhere down the hyfax.

Think it was a 1/2 " im second guessing myself now lol. Double check by seeing if a 1/2 " wrench sticks down farther then the aluminum i the back of the slide rail.

-Aksnopro

Premium Features