• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris wedge build ideas

B
Jan 27, 2008
Hey looking to start a project and I really want to build a Polaris wedge chassis. Anyone have pics of some old mod sleds from bad in the day. Hillclimb, Snowcross or ice drags it doesn't matter. I would love to see them for some inspiration and ideas.
Thanks

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I always liked the open mod hill climb sleds that ran a hood and a clutch guard. No belly pan, no nose cone. And a triple piped 3 banger.
I was gearing up to build one out of a '98 XC chassis, but decided I had too many projects and gave it to a buddy of mine.

FORDpickupman

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Hey looking to start a project and I really want to build a Polaris wedge chassis. Anyone have pics of some old mod sleds from bad in the day. Hillclimb, Snowcross or ice drags it doesn't matter. I would love to see them for some inspiration and ideas.
Thanks

I have a chassis started that I would sell you. Where are you? Its probably not what's in your vision but its a good start
Lightened 75 lbs and I can see another 20 I could loose
Dorpped and rolled using an very edge case.
Giant doo coolers in tunnel
Set up for a 128 cat snocross track. The track is brand new
Needs rear suspension work. If you were to find 2 14 in float shocks or a heavy rate spring it would be finished. I made my own copy of a m10-timbersled-kmod whatever its got heavy duty rails easy to extend
Needs a motor
Its a good start to a project
I'd find a 800 with perk reverse and a 151
400 bux 600 with the track
xcrlt190.jpg

B
Jan 27, 2008
I love the no belly pan look too, but was looking to keep the self a little more rideable.

Yeah, looking to go a little more of a vintage look. The coil-over skid looks pretty sweet, where else did you cut weight at?

Thanks for the ideas, keep me coming.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I have often debated in my mind if running no pan would actually hinder the performance. A guy would have to be creative get the look correct while keeping the pipe and engine protected. I think it could be done. I'd tackle it, but I don't have that much ambition for that type of project at this point in my life.

Remember the ol RMI billet chassis? I think a guy could build panels that sealed from the underside of the hood to the bulkhead to keep the snow out. All of the weight would be more centralized. Make them out of lexan so that you could see through them, keeping the look correct. Reshape the triple pipes to run over the engine like they do in the IQR chassis mods. 16" wide track. M10 to keep with the look.
I have a clear XCR tank I'd donate if you pay the shipping.

FORDpickupman

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I love the no belly pan look too, but was looking to keep the self a little more rideable.

Yeah, looking to go a little more of a vintage look. The coil-over skid looks pretty sweet, where else did you cut weight at?

Thanks for the ideas, keep me coming.

weight
that one piece seat was a large chunk, the xlt suspension components were even bigger, the hood bs was pretty good, plastic skis, just the general stuff

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Here' are some of the pics I've collected off here throughout the years. Hope nobody gets mad, only reason i have them is because I like how they turned out.

96 Ultra 1800 High Desert.jpg 97 Ultra SP 1800.jpg 100_0054.jpg 100_0240.jpg 207.jpg 1887.jpg 3578.jpg 5185.jpg 4219064.JPG 6791230.jpg DSCF0086.jpg DSCN1729.jpg IM001461.jpg IMAG0103.JPG IMAG0107.JPG IMG_0148.jpg IMG_7436.jpg PC080041.jpg PICT0053.jpg Pictures 012.jpg sled001xw3.jpg todaynov24015.jpg utf-8BNTAwIC0gNzAwIGhvb2QgZml0LmpwZw.jpg wildfrnt.JPG Wildthing0004.JPG XC Pics. 007.jpg

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Shoot, I'm honored, that 4th to the last one is the sled I built for my bride. '91 500, I swapped in a '99 700 w 40 flats and a 144x16 track. It runs hard for a stock engine.

Here it is sitting next to my M on the deck, ready to go.
e8u8ameb.jpg

But the fifth one in line is my all time favorite. However, I have forgotten the racers name.

FORDpickupman

Last edited:
C
Jan 31, 2010
East Idaho
But the fifth one in line is my all time favorite. However, I have forgotten the racers name.

#22 David Shepherd from Jackson Montana. I think this was his mod 700 in 2000. Awesome sled, awesome rider!

2DaMax

Jan 27, 2008
My 98 I did last year. Its nothing major but it turned out nice its running a CPI 760 with a little go juice. The seat has been changed and has diff skis now.

016-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

027_zpsced59374.jpg

023_zpse7ccd346.jpg

B
Jan 27, 2008
I have often debated in my mind if running no pan would actually hinder the performance. A guy would have to be creative get the look correct while keeping the pipe and engine protected. I think it could be done. I'd tackle it, but I don't have that much ambition for that type of project at this point in my life.

Remember the ol RMI billet chassis? I think a guy could build panels that sealed from the underside of the hood to the bulkhead to keep the snow out. All of the weight would be more centralized. Make them out of lexan so that you could see through them, keeping the look correct. Reshape the triple pipes to run over the engine like they do in the IQR chassis mods. 16" wide track. M10 to keep with the look.
I have a clear XCR tank I'd donate if you pay the shipping.

FORDpickupman

I've never seen the billet chassis, but it sounds sweet!
Any mod build wouldn't be complete without the clear tank! IMO. Don't mean to be picky but if the tank isn't yellowed shoot me a pm I'll be glad to pay shipping.

Thanks, Paul

B
Jan 27, 2008
There are some good looking sleds in here, I saved some pics for later, thanks keep em coming.

Are there any year chassis better than others?

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
97-98 had the most track clearance if I remember correctly. They had the "rack" style steering also.
They were mostly the same basic shape and from what I have read the tubs/belly pans will interchange with minor mods from the early 80s through 01. I may be wrong on this, as I have never done one myself.
The RMI changed the way sleds were setup geometry-wise. Rider forward before any of the big 3, I mean 4.

FORDpickupman

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
RMI

left1.jpg

This is the only pic I could find on the net.
I saw one go in Wong's bowl, it was pretty wild lookin.
I know, Cat hoods. If you could see the bulkhead, it goes up to the underside of the hood and seals the snow out of the engine compartment.

Premium Features