• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

stolen sled possibly? please help

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
so i bought a sled '09 dragon 800 155" from a guy (nick Riegel) bought it in nebraska, didnt come with a title but i did get a bill of sale. He claims the guy he bought it from out in wyoming "missed placed the title" so im stuck on what to do? if its stolen i want the rightful owner to have the sled back (and would also like my thousands of dollars back) i need some suggestions on what to do! please help

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
just went through this with a dirt bike, take bill of sale & sled vin number to your county recorder, they can run a check to see if it was stolen. then they might want a law officer to look at sled to verify it, my office did but the sheriff knows me and told the gal to give him his title. took an hour but i got title.good you have bill of sale otherwise it is more difficult. this is the route i had to go, done it twice with bikes so good luck

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
I would not assume the sled is stolen. A lot of states do not have titles for snowmobiles. Here in Nebraska we just have registration, no title. When buying a sled in a state that does not have titles always ask for a copy of the latest registration and have them sign that, often that along with a Bill of Sale is enough to get a title. The guy you bought it from should be able to get a registration and send it to you.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
its not stolen, it has never had a title so my local polaris dealer emailed polaris so i should be able to get the certificate of origin to register/title it. thanks for the help

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
All you need is bill of sale. Go to your courthouse tell them u have a sled that has nver.bill titled. You need an afadavit for title. All they do is run the vin. Then a police officer comes checks the vin and runs it himself signs the paper. Then get it notorized and ur good to go... actually did it with a sled that had a lost title but had my bill of sale and the previous owner bill of sale... also done with quads in the past...

Premium Features