• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the right age???

P
Dec 18, 2008
Alexandria, MN
When is the right age for a 120? I have twin boys that turned 3 back in July. My guess is that they should be able to handle a sled now? Any recommendations or advice from those on here that got their kids sleds. Thanks in advance!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I started mine at 3 on a 120. I did install a remote kill switch so I could curb their enthusiasm for the throttle if it warranted it.

Search for it and you should find photos that I have posted up.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
I had my son on a Kitty Kat when he was three and a 120 when he was 4. Now he's 6 and riding a SnoScoot and we're already in the process of modding it out with a longer track to follow me on some mountain trails. I think the best judge of when they are ready is you. I know three year olds I wouldn't trust to take a ride on a snowmobile with their mom and dad, let alone drive their own, and then there are kids who can hold their own very well. It's really up to you.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
When is the right age for a 120? I have twin boys that turned 3 back in July. My guess is that they should be able to handle a sled now? Any recommendations or advice from those on here that got their kids sleds. Thanks in advance!

My daughter was on her PINK 120 @ 3 1/2 and rode it like a pro from day 1.

I did have the governor on the slowest of the 3 settings.

At 4 1/2 it was too slow for her, by-passed the governor and it put the smile back on her face.

At 8 1/2 she's outgrown the 120 and awaiting Santa to bring her a 340

Last edited:
L
Dec 7, 2010
sled

i had all 4 of the grand kids on the kitty cat when they were 3 , the good thing is these youth sit so low when they flip it they don,t get hurt.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Here is my boy a few weeks ago. He is 3 and turns 4 in March. He is on his cousins 120 with the govenor bypass installed. Absolutely loves it. Just got him one for Christmas this year to be his own. I will have to install the bypass on the new one soon for sure or he will think its really slow after riding his cousins sled. Remote kill switch is a great idea though. I will have to look into that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qPLSZbyqpQ

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
Here is my boy a few weeks ago. He is 3 and turns 4 in March. He is on his cousins 120 with the govenor bypass installed. Absolutely loves it. Just got him one for Christmas this year to be his own. I will have to install the bypass on the new one soon for sure or he will think its really slow after riding his cousins sled. Remote kill switch is a great idea though. I will have to look into that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qPLSZbyqpQ

Yamadoo04
Can you post how to install bypass on goVenor

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
All it is is a differnt spring i believe. I think i have read a few places that some people just zip tie to stock spring so that it doesnt strech. I am not for certain as my brother bought the new spring a couple years ago and I am just now starting to look into this for myself. I will try to remember to post what I find when I get it done.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
All it is is a differnt spring i believe. I think i have read a few places that some people just zip tie to stock spring so that it doesnt strech. I am not for certain as my brother bought the new spring a couple years ago and I am just now starting to look into this for myself. I will try to remember to post what I find when I get it done.

RED plastic wire tie in the pic

The goal is to keep the spring "closed/collapsed"

STOCK ORIGINAL spring

Last edited:
V

Vinnee

Dec 24, 2010
With four kids that all sled, I would consider myself somewhat of an expert on this subject. However, I would not be surprised to have many folks disagree with my view on this topic.

We started sledding about four years ago and that time purchased a 120 for our 3.5 year old son. After his first thirty minutes on his new sled, he came up to me, flipped up his face shield and says, "Dad, I don't like it! It too slow!" Which put a huge grin on my face. So we went to messing with the governor and all the other tricks known to man. To make a long story short, over the past few years, I have just made the decision to buy too much sled for my kids rather than not enough. Yes, there are risks associated with more power than necessary, however my goal has been to give all my kids the opportunity to get deep in the back country (off trail) at the earliest age that meets their skill level and what they consider to be fun. We love keeping the family together in the back country and don't have any desire to stick to the trail doing it. And to be honest, what adult has slung their leg over a sled for the first time and wasn't on too much sled?! We adults grow into the power and so can our kids.

Needless to say, the 120 went away quickly and a 340 was in the garage. But then you have to deal with the fact that your little guy or gals legs aren't long enough to straddle the seat on the 340. So I modded a narrow IQ seat to the 340 and that worked for a while. But to say this sled is efficient in the back country without some fairly serious mods, would be a lie. We did what we could, but at the end of the day (year) it was time to sell it and move on.

In the mean time, we purchased two 2004 Edge 600's for two of our daughters (13 and 9) all the while looking for a solution for our young son. So I went on a hunt for a 500. There are quite a few 500's out there but none that are much good off trail without some mods. So I ended up purchasing a very low mileage Edge X electric start 123" water cooled 500. And then proceeded to put a ridiculous amount of money into it! Tunnel extension, 144" challenger track" shocks" RMK skid for starters. Leaving the trail suspension on the front created the perfect combination, back-country deep snow sled that is difficult to tip over. Hold'er wide open and "Rip it"! Last year, at the age of 6/7, he really loved this sled..... That was until last spring when he jumped on his sisters RMK 600 and realized he could side hill it!!! UGHHHHHH!! Yep, the 500 is just not enough now...! Lucky for me, we have another 10 year old daughter which is a bit timid and this sled will be perfect for her as a starter. Until now, I have doubled her up in front of me on family days.

Navigating a child of age 3 to 7 through the sledding world can be very frustrating to say the least. I believe that the perfect kids sled is in the eyes of the child and what they want to accomplish. But always making sure that they are having fun in the process. At the same time, if we expect our kids to go where we go, they are going to need the equipment to learn and the encouragement to get there. I for one believe that my kids have the ability to do anything they put their minds to. I work hard to encourage disciplined riding practices (throttle control) to minimize some risk. But lets face it, we can never remove all risk.

We contemplated putting our now 7/8 year old son on a 6 or 700 Edge chassis, however, I know in my heart at the end of this year, we will have wished we stepped him up to the IQ. So after much contemplation, I just purchased a 2007 155" 700 IQ for our soon to be 8 year old. Allot of sled for an eight year old, but I truly believe that with his discipline he can handle it.

So for 2012/13, here is the line-up for the kids

Daughter 14 - 2004 RMK 600 144"
Daughter 10 - 2004 RMK 600 151"
Daughter 10 - 2003 Edge X 500 144" mountain track
Son 8 - 2007 Dragon 700 IQ 155"

It's going to be an amazing season!

So; What is the right age? Gosh, your the only one that can really answer that question. However, I hope this post encourages you and your child to give it heck no matter the age.

Ride safe and don't put any kid on a sled without a tether! Or yourself for that matter!

Cheers.... Rich

Some pics of the kids and their sleds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380323.285676.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380385.543775.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380403.028934.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380415.327215.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380433.158912.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380443.916326.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380505.274304.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380465.996102.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380485.153812.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380522.200341.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355380562.649284.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
So; What is the right age? Gosh, your the only one that can really answer that question. However, I hope this post encourages you and your child to give it heck no matter the age.

Ride safe and don't put any kid on a sled without a tether! Or yourself for that matter!

Cheers.... Rich

I don't have kids.... but... I have to applaud Rich and Tami for their insane effort to get their kids involved in this sport. It's a tough sport, expensive sport, dangerous sport! In the day and age where we have coined the term "helicopter mom" it is no longer the norm to have kid that gets bumps and scrapes trying something new. This is an amazing sport and the sooner you can get your kid hooked on something like this... the less likely they'll get hooked on something awful (DRUGS) later on. IMO

I love seeing pictures of people with their newborn out on the sled, just sitting... but that doesn't matter. That shows the passion that that person has and is already trying to instill in their child. Passion, that is what this sport is about! It's what makes us so crazy to get on the snow. Why wouldn't you want to start your kids as soon as possible??? Kids bend, kids mend.... start 'em young! ;) :devil:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Great thread. The week after my daughter was born, I bought her a 99 Skidoo 120 that needed an engine. (Yah, more for me than her, obviously!) I didn't like the lack of front suspension, so put an engine in and sold it. Bought her a Cat Z120 for her 2nd b-day, she hardly looked twice at it. She is 3.5now, and wants to ride it, we didn't even bother getting it out last winter. She showed no interest. She has ridden on a little kid quad with me and has a heavy throttle finger, lol. So anyway, my 2 year old boy says "vroom vroom" every time he looks at a sled, jumps on my big ones all the time, I figured he was ready, so Santa has a nice used F120 for him next week. Only things I am worried about is them scaring themselves and not wanting to touch them again. The sleds aren't exactly gracefull when starting out, as far as jerky and the noise! I have screwed the limiter screw way down, I assume the only other thing to do is maybe tie a string onto the tether so I can yank it and run around after them? Little Dude is such a maniac, I can see him WFO and making a run for Boise, lol.

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
2 Things & 2c

I found out probably the best two things were for us, if they can talk to tell you their hands are cold, their feet are cold, they have to P, ect that seemed to be a big help when our kids started out, The other thing that helped keep them interested in the long run was when they said they were done at the time for the day we were done and went inside, but it didn't take long for them to want to get back on and go. Just my 2c.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
About the same here, but we have to trailer to the snow so it makes it harder to run back in the house for a warm up. We fortunately have some satellite shelters away from our snow park, so we would ride to those, stoke a fire and let the kids play for a while, then trail ride back to the snow park. Usually the kids were done and wanted to stay in the motorhome or something. This worked as the guys could go ride then.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Hey, great posts, thanks!. I am excited, Xmas morning I can bust out Little Dude's rig, and put Princess (lol) on hers. I have a feeling it will be a crash up derby, but hwatever....:)

Premium Features