• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought my 1st Polaris

S

summitman

Oct 9, 2001
stanley, ND
www.prairieford.com
Just bought my son a 2010 Mini Dragon. Looks like a solid sled. A few scuffs on it here & there, but its a used sled, so that was expected.

Is there any MUST DO's??

Also, when we fired it up last night, it started fine, but the idel was rolling the whole time it was running. I was guessing old gas or a fouled plug. Any thought on this.

My plan is(I haven't even told my wife I bought it yet). I'm going to put it out in the shop & have my son go out there Christmas day & find it. He's gonna go f'ing crazy when he see's it.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Just bought my son a 2010 Mini Dragon. Looks like a solid sled. A few scuffs on it here & there, but its a used sled, so that was expected.

Is there any MUST DO's??

Also, when we fired it up last night, it started fine, but the idel was rolling the whole time it was running. I was guessing old gas or a fouled plug. Any thought on this.

My plan is(I haven't even told my wife I bought it yet). I'm going to put it out in the shop & have my son go out there Christmas day & find it. He's gonna go f'ing crazy when he see's it.

REAR SHOCK KIT: I installed the rear shock kit (instructions are on www.hardcoresledder.com, 120 section) It utilizes a Arctic Cat front ski shock. Shafts are 5/8" diameter steel, threaded for 5/16" coarse on the ends, spacers are 1/2" gas pipe, cut to fit. Works really well, reduces the bounce.

PARTS NEEDED

Start with a 77-78 Arctic Cat front ski shock, KIMPEX part # 08-114-14. approx $25.00 from mail order houses, Keep in mind that it's an oil shock, skinny shaft UP (fat body down) in order for it to work.

(1) 10.82" long 5/8" diameter steel shaft, threaded for 5/16" on the ends

(1) 5.28" long 5/8" diameter steel shaft, threaded for 5/16" on the ends

(3) 6" lengths of 1/2" gas pipe (from the hardware store) serves as some 5/8" I.D spacers to center that shock, or you can use those 5/8" locking collars with a set screw holding 'em in place.

(4) 5/16" coarse thread bolts with flat washers and lock washers

(4) 5/8" I.D. flat washers to fit over the shafts and go up against the shock rubber eye mounts

INSTALLATION

Drill (2) 5/16"DIAMETER holes in the tunnel (just forward of the upper rear bogie wheels) as per pix below, make sure you're into the steel back plates and just clear the upper rear bogie wheels

Drill (2) more 5/16" diameter holes in the aluminum rails per pix below (APPROX 1" FORWARD OF THE EXISTING 5/16" RAIL holes=drilling approx 14" ahead of the rear axle)

DO NOT CUT/MODIFY the suspension swing arm. As long as you follow the placement of the holes as outlined above, the shock will clear, it's a little close, but still 1/4" + clearance.

TIP: I located and attached the upper shaft and shock first, then temporarily located the lower holes to check clearance prior to drilling.

ROLLING IDLE: Rolling idle?? If the idle speed is "SURGING' the idle speed is too high. Lower it a bit and that will solve it.

SPEED CONTROL: You can adjust the speed by the 3 holes that the spring fits into, and / or by placing a small plastic wire tie (RED PLASTIC WIRE TIE in the photo posted below) to hold the spring in the CLOSED position.

OWNER'S MANUAL: The attachment listed below is the official 2008 POLARIS Owner's Manual, in case you didn't get one with the sled.

Santa brought a 2008 PINK 120 DRAGON to my daughter on Christmas Day 2007. I hope your son is excited as my 3 1/2 year old daughter was with her 120.

MEGAN SLED CABIN 1.jpg 120 DRILL ALUM RAILS.jpg 120 GOVERNOR SPRING.jpg 120 PIC.jpg 120 REAR SUSP SHOCK (1).jpg 120 REAR SUSP SHOCK (2).jpg 120 TUNNEL HOLES #1.jpg 120 TUNNEL HOLES #2.jpg 120 TUNNEL HOLES #3.jpg 120 TUNNEL HOLES #4.jpg

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Congrats on the new sled.

Most Polaris sled owners MUST modify their sleds to personalize it.

For me stickers work wonders on covering up those scratches plus I've been told it increases horsepower depending on the type and placement.

C
Oct 29, 2008
but it seems they outgrow them quickly

Yes they do. I have had mine since my Boy was 3.5 years old. He will turn 7 in February and he is a tall kid. I just had the seat modified... Added 3" of foam and had it recovered with a red stripe. Looks better than stock.
I then took the steering post off, and the part right above the engine I cut it and we,ded a 3" piece into the steering post. Then where it comes out from the top of the Hood, I put a bend in it so its not pointing strait out at his chest. It will definitely do him this year and I am praying next Winter as well.
I also put a Briggs Animal motor in it. This motor in stock form does 30 MPH easily.
With all the mods I have done to allow him to stay on this chassis, I am guessing
Approximately $1200 in Mods. That's Exhaust, seat, Bars, fabbed throttle cables, gears and chains.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
A guy I knew bought a new sled just days before Christmas. He wanted to surprise his kid with it, so he stored it at my house. I get up early, so I drug it over to his place with the other sled early on Christmas. Unhooked and got out out of there before anyone was wiser. After I left, the Dad had heard me leave, he mentioned that he thought he had just heard Santa so they went to the back door to find the brand new sled sitting there. That kid was ecstatic.

Good job on the sled for the kid.

Premium Features