• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lift question

H
Dec 6, 2012
For anyone who owns a lift for their sled. If you couls have a lift customized for you sled with this be a good thing? color, size, weight? please give us some feedback.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
not sure that custom design really applies since they are all roughly the same size, but a custom paint of some sort might be good for those who plan on sticking to one brand. bad part about that though is if you were to make a nice painted deck it would get trashed by the skags and tools?

maby you have somthing else in mind?

or are you thinking of dressing up peoples lifts that they allready own?

i built a table lift and love it. im headed back 10 hours one way tomarrow to go get it.

last082.jpg

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I been searching for some thing to lift my sled it would have to be a drive on lift with adjustable stands to put in place and lift the sled by the chassis so I can replace suspensions or start with a bare chassis and assemble the sled start to finish while sitting on the stand.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I been searching for some thing to lift my sled it would have to be a drive on lift with adjustable stands to put in place and lift the sled by the chassis so I can replace suspensions or start with a bare chassis and assemble the sled start to finish while sitting on the stand.

there is no such thing, you can get close but to get the rear in you need it on the floor on its side. the chassis lift that your desribeing is widely available allready and can allow front end work easily.

now if someone built some kind of roticerie thing that would be sweet. clamp onto the bilkhead and the rear bumper so you can rotate the sled 360 degrees. and have a good brake on it so it can be stopped anywhere. now thats custom haha

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
there is no such thing, you can get close but to get the rear in you need it on the floor on its side. the chassis lift that your desribeing is widely available allready and can allow front end work easily.

now if someone built some kind of roticerie thing that would be sweet. clamp onto the bilkhead and the rear bumper so you can rotate the sled 360 degrees. and have a good brake on it so it can be stopped anywhere. now thats custom haha

Huh, thats odd, i have NEVER put the skid in my sled with it laying on its side. In fact the only time its on its side is with me on it, in the snow.

As for lifts, i prefer table style lifts, combined with a small chain fastened to the ceiling directly above the front and rear bumper for elevating the sled for suspension work ect. Between my father and i there have been many many sleds built on this setup.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I use a stack of tires under the bulkhead and a tall jack stand under the rear bumper.

I put a skid in with the sled on its side once. The jack stand is way easier.

FORDpickupman

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
so what you guys do is get on your hands and knees with the sled just raised in the rear? i suppose that works if you have an extra set of hands? im by m self most of the time and working it in on its side gravity kind of helps and the track isnt always falling and hooking the top front control arm. best part you dont have to work it much.
once its in though i tip it up and jack the rear up to bolt it and set the tension.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Actually, I lay on my side, slide the skid into the track, bolt the front arm in, bolt the rear scissor in. Super easy if you have the height correct.

I would like to build a stand like the screw type lift that supports the sled by the bulk head and foot boards. I've been trying to design one that would work without the screw jack or hydraulics. More like a kickstand.

FORDpickupman

Premium Features