• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Skiing Cameron Pass or the Snowies?

T
Dec 31, 2007
Not trying to move in on anyones secret stashes, but is there much sled access skiing around? Just moved to Ft Collins and want to do some exploring this winter. Nothing to extreme, just enough to get a few laps in when conditions are right.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
There are a few spots up Cameron....................but, the Snowies are usaully a WHOLE LOT BETTER for depth. They are usually pretty close in snow depth until January, and then the Range starts to PILE IT UP!

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I'm new to Laramie. I'm in the same boat. Wondering where the better boarding will be. Snowies seem limited on steep tree runs to me and the big ridge (Medicine Bow Peak) looks like it gets really wind loaded, but Cameron is farther, sounds drier, and doesn't sound as sledder friendly. I'm happy skinning for good riding, but sled laps are always a bonus. On another note, a guy on a chairlift on Wednesday told me to be damn careful on Cameron Pass as he lost a friend up there in a slide...

If you're ever looking for someone to explore/ride with, send me a PM. I'm generally pretty busy with school, but I can usually make it happen on the weekends (at least one of the days). This will be my 4th season in the backcountry, 15th on a board, I like riding anything that won't get me killed.

Anyone with thoughts on either the Snowies or Cameron for ski/boarding please speak up.

Trinity, could you elaborate a little on the spots up Cameron? Thanks!

Last edited:
T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Diamond Peak at the Summit of Cameron gets a lot of skiers on it. That being said, every time I have ridden there on my sled, some free heel skiing yo yo takes time out of his day to tell me what he thinks of snowmobiles ruining his peace and quiet. I dont look at hills like a boarder or skier, so Im not sure what you guys consider acceptable. The Range has some really good hills that face northwest (behind the Widow Maker) that would be super fun for a sled and some boarders.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
And when those Cam pass yo yo's run their mouth to me, they soon learn they should have kept their mouth shut. :face-icon-small-win

G
Jun 24, 2008
Denver, CO
I've done it once. CO state park pass required to park at the trail head for Nokhu crags. Easy snowmobile trail all the way to treeline. And then a harder summer 4x4 trail that never fully explored.

PM me if you want to hit it up sometime.

Grant

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Try Vagabond Ranch up by Granby, CO. www.vrhuts.com

We are doing a 2nd Backcountry Boot Camp on February 13-15. Avalanche education and intro to backcountry skiing/boarding. Info on website.

Mike Duffy

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Backcountry Boot Camp.

Fun, unintimidating introduction to backcountry skiing/boarding at Vagabond Ranch with avalanche education.

You will be riding this terrain! http://vimeo.com/22104076
February 13-15, 2013 $190. www.vrhuts.com ; or call 303-242-5338

W
Nov 14, 2008
colorado
There's so-so sled access ski/boarding up near the never summer yurts, but nothing really worth it until spring corn season as most of the fun terrain is above TL and gets pretty wind effected and unsafe in the winter months. Cameron is kind of the same. Nokhu crags area is cool, but best in April. There's good winter skiing around Vegabond, although I've never really explored much of it. Just heard from friends and such. Parkview mountain has somewhat safe winter skiing from TL down. Easy access. About a 2-3 mile sled ride to the base of some lines, but most of the skiing up there is in or around avy paths.

Premium Features