• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xm riser

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
for me i feel like the bars should be 1" shorter and the stock riser is 5.5"
so where can i find a 4.5"? i am guessing i will probably need an adjustable
riser to get what i want. the bars are 7/8's at the grips and 1 1/8" at the clamp. any ideas????

also, anyone ever tried an atv throttle, just feels like i would like it under
the bars atleast to try for a day

Last edited:

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
I was just doing some internet searches on this and not coming up with much yet.

I'm attaching a pic of Bret Rasmussen's handlebars on his XM (yellow). Anyone recognize what they are? Compare to the attached pic of the stock ones on the black XM. Also compare to the SP (orange) which I think are the same height, but look almost clownlike compared to Brett's.

20121117_194737.jpg 20121117_194727.jpg 20121020_153632.jpg

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
If I recall correctly there are two reasons. First, when you are pointed up a hill, if you have this really long handlebar it is pushing you away from your sled and down the hill (see the first Schooled DVD). Makes it harder to keep forward on the sled (which is needed for control). Second, when your sled rotates/rolls, longer handle bars tend to fling you across with the sled (more leverage). Every little bump you hit that makes the sled roll amplifies the distance the sled handlebars move the taller your riser is. Perhaps the longer riser on the XP was beneficial since it was harder to lean over, but on a sled like the XM where it is easier to get it over the longer riser can work against you.

Last edited:
M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I was just doing some internet searches on this and not coming up with much yet.

I'm attaching a pic of Bret Rasmussen's handlebars on his XM (yellow). Anyone recognize what they are? Compare to the attached pic of the stock ones on the black XM. Also compare to the SP (orange) which I think are the same height, but look almost clownlike compared to Brett's.

i am a short guy @ 5/7, and the last pic looks way too low:jaw:

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I put a 2" taller on mine I am 6' and it just feels right if I go to low my back kills me at the end of the day

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
There were too many people gawking to get a good photo of his whole sled, but I'm attaching one other that might give you a better idea of what it looks like afar. Also a pic of his footboards.

Here's some details on what he's done. Check out the video at the bottom where he's explaining it a bit in his own words.
http://discusspowersports.blogspot.com/2012/10/bret-rasmussen-snowmobiling-seminar.html

Here's a vid where he mentions the mod. Although everything after 1:00 is an ad for Boondocker turbo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFaqsJbaUw

SnoWest blurb on it:
http://www.snowest.com/snowmobile-news/display.cfm?&image=3461-527.jpg&tpid=527&id=3461

20121020_153533.jpg 20121020_153614.jpg

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
It is interesting to see Brett move his steering post further forward. I rode Cats for years and my ridiing buddy has been on Doo for years. When we swapped sleds I always hated his sled, I assumed that it was the chassis, but then last year I rode a Cat that someone had converted to a more laid down steering post, well I found out it was the steering swing that I hated, that Cat felt like an XP. I then got to ride a demo XM last year. I really liked the sled, I'm sure that the more vertical steering post was part of the reason. Anyway I am not so patiently waiting for my XM to arrive and I think I'll look into the post relocation kit.
As for the riser height Brett is not exactly a towering giant, so I think it will really depend on your body type/build as to whether you need a shorter or longer riser, stock seemed fine on the Demo I rode, more time will tell.

J

Jman3

Mar 28, 2011
Is he running a c3 post forward kit or is it one he made?
How much further forward? Looks like an inch or 2?

I
Mar 31, 2012
Put a rox riser 6-8" on mine the post is already forward on the xm(same as freeride) found between 1-2" rise seem to work best at 6'.Problem the strap cannot be used and have to make a new centre pad.Raz's bars look like an iso vibe riser and some kind of bar contortion...obviously works for him.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I have a riser for a 2012 summit x. I think you could probably make that one work. Ill sell if for 40 shipped.

well if its a 4-4.5" rise with one end 7/8 and the other is 1 1/8" i will take it.

anyone know who would carry the riser i am looking for? any help
appreciat:yo:ed

Last edited:

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
Stock riser height for the '12 and '13 X model sleds is 5". The tapered bars add another 3" for a total rise of 8". With the new rider position on the XM, the stock bar height feels just right for me at 6'2". (I used the 2" taller Doo riser on previous XP sleds).

Last edited:
B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
Mike,

Fly and Powermadd make them. The fly version looks better to me. Available in 3 or 4 inches. $69. You can get them thru RIDE...hey come in black too.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Or just swap the bars for some RSI's with less rise ??....looks like about a 2" rise on the new Doo bars. Stock seems about right for me at 6'.

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
and I still have the 5". Id say its tough to notice the difference between an inch especially after a couple rides. I am one of the ones that likes taller bars. I like to stand without hunching at all.

Premium Features