• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mod sled Ideas?

F
Nov 8, 2012
I have a 1999 Polaris xlt 600, and I was wondering if it was even worth moding a model like that. I would like to put a 136 inch suspension on it but I don't know if the 600 would have enough power to move that track. Any ideas?

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It all depends really on what your budget is and what you would like to do with your sled. I personally have a modded 99 700 that I love. Would I like a new Pro? You betcha! Can I afford one at the moment? Unfortunately not. The xlt 600 will have no problem spinning a 136, with the proper gearing they can spin 144's and 151's as well.

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
New top end, gutted air box, slp pipe and can, on the shelf for this season is some laughing gas. Its also got a 151, some taller bars and I removed the headlight pod as well. Gotta save weight! lol
D1855528-230C-4A62-9C8E-215AF1E90AC8-4391-000005DC061957EF.jpg

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Modding the older iron is always cool,even if it is just changes to make it "yours".

F
Nov 8, 2012
I wanted to get some bar risers for my sled so I went to my local polaris dealer and the guy told me that if I raise my handlebars 6 inches or higher i could potentially snap my steering post. Is this true? If so how would I go about preventing this? Any info helps.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
If your in or near Idaho I have an indy storm 800 tripple with a skid stretched out to a 156 and SLP tripple pipes and a reverse chain case. Has a couple other goodies as well.

This is a sled that I did not want, and want to sell it ( for cheap ) to someone who would want it for the mod parts. Runs but needs the carb's cleaned.

F

Farmbuilt800

Oct 28, 2010
Morgan, Utah
I wanted to get some bar risers for my sled so I went to my local polaris dealer and the guy told me that if I raise my handlebars 6 inches or higher i could potentially snap my steering post. Is this true? If so how would I go about preventing this? Any info helps.
I have a 98 Rmk 600 and put a three and a half inch riser and some old bicycle handlebars that i modded up, the top of my bars ended up sitting well above six inches and i have yet to have any problems. and i am anything but nice to this sled.

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just what Farmbuilt said. You can see on my sled that my bars are above 6". I've it that way for at least a half dozen years and nothing but a little bending. I'm not nice to my sled either, of course who is lol. Getting some support for the steering post has always been on my to do list...just at the bottom. As for actually adding support there are a couple of ways that it can be handled. One is chop the top of the steering post off, slide a piece of solid stock in there and weld the top back on. I've been told that it works marginally well. The second is to come off the steering hoop and create a brace using a two piece bushing of some sort, I've only seen a couple people do it this way and it seems to work well. The third and final way is to contact wildchild here on SW. He makes a chromoly steering posts for these and the Gen II sleds that work awesome. I have a couple of buddies that have them and love them. If memory serves me correctly i believe you can get them in like a +1 or +2 length as well. Hope this helps you out with your needs.

F
Nov 8, 2012
Any ideas for gears? Looking to get some lower end power out of it. I don't know what I'm running right now. I don't know much about gearing so any info helps a ton.

Turbotater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Magic Valley, Idaho
I have a 1999 Polaris xlt 600, and I was wondering if it was even worth moding a model like that. I would like to put a 136 inch suspension on it but I don't know if the 600 would have enough power to move that track. Any ideas?

We used to run 2"x136" tracks on them and SLP pipes. They were great running sleds.

Premium Features