• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GoPro Hero3

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Hero 3

That's cool that they are coming out with a new camera. I'm glad that I didn't buy the hero 2 yet. I'll see how much of an improvement the new camera is and go from there. Hopefully they get rid of the backpacs and just integrate the stuff into the camera. Did you read that review? I think it's for the original hero it says it has a 3 mega pixel sensor.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Anyone hear any details? All I can find is a cNet article and a release date.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/gopro-digital-hero-3/4505-6500_7-32312327.html

http://gopro.com

CNET REVIEW is not very flattering for the HERO 3

but there seems to be 3 versions of the hero 3 on gopro.com so I think the review is incomplete.

REtail for the 3 cameras

I think it is an upgrade from the GOPRO 2 but does not have the latest and greatest resolution.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

These reviews are better than CNET BUT $400 ?

This is a great slow mo 720 camera but why pay $400 when bluray is out there ... for less money?

The only rational is buying it for 720 resolution with 120 frames per second which giving super super clarity at slow motion high hi-def BUT not the frames available with BLURAY resolution.

Last edited:
B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Bluray resolution?

These reviews are better than CNET BUT $400 for a camera that does not do BLURAY resolution ?

This is a great slow mo 720 camera but why pay $400 for 720 when bluray is out there ... for less money?

The only rational is buying it for 720 resolution with 120 frames per second which giving super super clarity at slow motion high hi-def BUT not BLURAY.

What is bluray resolution? Here's what the gopro hero 3 black offers for resolutions.
4k/15fps, 2.7k/30fps, 1440p/48fps, 1080p/60fps, 960p/100fps, 720p/120fps

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What is bluray resolution? Here's what the gopro hero 3 black offers for resolutions.
4k/15fps, 2.7k/30fps, 1440p/48fps, 1080p/60fps, 960p/100fps, 720p/120fps

Opps corrected my mistake thanks for letting me know.

I screwed up only reading one of the stories ...

This simplicity wouldn't be a problem if the Digital Hero 3 performed well and took decent images, but that's simply not the case. The camera takes several seconds to start up, then at least a second between each shot. Our test images tended to be soft and underexposed, especially indoors. Also, 3-megapixel images simply don't feel like enough anymore. We would've liked to see 5-megapixel resolution instead.

Images from the Digital Hero 3 aren't completely terrible and surprised us in two areas of image quality. The fixed-focus lens produced surprisingly little distortion, and the camera's automatic white balance worked quite well, reproducing accurate whites under both fluorescent and incandescent lighting. These two features are great boons if you decide to take the Digital Hero 3 underwater, where accurate color and low distortion become quite valuable. GoPro rates the camera for underwater operation down to 30 feet, but since we live in New York City and we're reluctant to dive 30 feet down in the Hudson River, we settled for dunking it in our fish tank. It survived.

The GoPro Digital Hero 3 is a cool idea for a camera, but in action, it simply isn't very good. It's a sluggish performer and shoots soft, small images. That said, the wrist-mounted, underwater housing is a great boon, and it might prove a fun, inexpensive alternative to swimmers and other water-dwellers who want a camera they can submerge.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'm sure 70 mph will be fine.

I personally don't care about still images. Buying it as a video camera.

I have the original go pro hero and have been very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I ordered one.

The cnet review is idiotic. They are only reviewing it's photo capabilities and claiming that it can only take 3 megapixel pictures. The base "white" hero 3 takes 5 megapixel and the "black" which I ordered takes 12MP.

That being said, I ordered it for shooting video, time-lapse, and slow-mo shots. Watch the advertisement video - granted they used special mounts and are professionals, the video is pretty dang good for $400.

Now if my video turns out poor, the only thing I can blame are my filming skills.

Last edited:
B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Old review

Opps corrected my mistake thanks for letting me know.

I screwed up only reading one of the stories ...

This simplicity wouldn't be a problem if the Digital Hero 3 performed well and took decent images, but that's simply not the case. The camera takes several seconds to start up, then at least a second between each shot. Our test images tended to be soft and underexposed, especially indoors. Also, 3-megapixel images simply don't feel like enough anymore. We would've liked to see 5-megapixel resolution instead.

Images from the Digital Hero 3 aren't completely terrible and surprised us in two areas of image quality. The fixed-focus lens produced surprisingly little distortion, and the camera's automatic white balance worked quite well, reproducing accurate whites under both fluorescent and incandescent lighting. These two features are great boons if you decide to take the Digital Hero 3 underwater, where accurate color and low distortion become quite valuable. GoPro rates the camera for underwater operation down to 30 feet, but since we live in New York City and we're reluctant to dive 30 feet down in the Hudson River, we settled for dunking it in our fish tank. It survived.

The GoPro Digital Hero 3 is a cool idea for a camera, but in action, it simply isn't very good. It's a sluggish performer and shoots soft, small images. That said, the wrist-mounted, underwater housing is a great boon, and it might prove a fun, inexpensive alternative to swimmers and other water-dwellers who want a camera they can submerge.

I don't know why that review says Hero 3 but thats for the original hero I think it was wrote in 2009. The Hero 3 black which is there top of the line offering takes 12 mp stills at 30 fps. It also comes with integrated Wi-Fi and a remote, so the price isn't much more than the Hero 2 with the Wi-Fi backpac with remote.

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
That review is not the same camera it is dated 2007. The lowest hdhero3 does 5mp pictures and is waterproof to 197 feet with the provided case.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
no battery improvements?

id buy it simply for the 720, 120fps but i cant imagine the battery going long on that setting

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
Did I really grab a bad article? Dang. Sorry guys!

I don't know if it is worth it yet though. I haven't even used my Hero2 and with a $400 price tag, I'll let you guys hop on this.

60 FPS @ 1080p would be pretty sweet though!

Premium Features