• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rino 650. 24k topo& birdseye??

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Just got a rino 650 for hunting/riding. I have the 24k topo card for colorado&utah in the unit.

Going to a new hunting area in SW colorado and thought the birdseye would be very handy...

Long story short, looks like available memory on the unit only allows a small area of birdseye to be downloaded.

Anyone know if i can install the 24k topo on the unit, and use a large micro SD for birdseye downloads?

Thanks for any help, only have a few days to figure this unit out :)

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
With the first versions of BaseCamp and earlier GPS software, I could not get the maps to load on the memory card at all, and I bought a big one to put in there to hold a lot of data. In the newest version of basecamp, select the memory card on the left hand side and look under "utilities" at the top of the screen. There should be an option that says install maps on memory card there.

Not sure if that works with birdseye maps (they are massive, I ended up just putting on a few riding areas and my hunting area), but it seems to have worked for the 24k maps.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I wanna try dragging the 24k from the SD card onto the unit, but makes me nervous cause it says something about the card being erased. At $99 for the topo map, not sure i wanna risk it

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Kinda got my problem taken care of.

I wasnt aware that Birdseye only allowed like 230mb downloads, i wasnt filling up the memory. Just had to do multiple birdseye downloads to get a larger area. Much better!

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Just got back from a week of hunting a new area. Dont know what i would of done without my 650 w/ birdseye!

Cannot wait til sledding with this setup! Very happy with the 650 so far, but still lots of functions to learn.

X

xteam

Dec 2, 2007
Question for you? Just got a 650 was wondering if you buy the birds eye it looks to be a yearly subscription, if you don't continue paying the subscription do you loose the maps already on the gps or you just can't get new ones? Cause I wanna do the birds eye I believe it would be better than topo but don't wanna pay every year.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
You won't lose what you have downloaded, at least on the unit. I'm not sure about what you have loaded into the base camp software though. I think that you can download all you want onto base camp, then transfer whenever without a continued subscription, but not positive.

If you're going to choose either topo's or Birdseye however, go with the topo's!

It's all damn expensive, but very nice to have the features.....

Premium Features