• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building my M sled

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I'm not sure if this is a "worthy" of enough build to put on here after reading a lot of the other sleds people are building but it's going to be a big project for me.

I've got a 2005 M7 141" that I bought new years ago and over the years have done a lot of things to it. So far I've got simmons gen I skis, a complete Z-Bros 43" front end with exit shocks, a BDX lite weight jackshaft, a BDX lite weight brake rotor w/pads, a complete BDX diamond drive (had too many problems with the stock ones :face-icon-small-fro), 2cool side air vents, another flow-rite installed in front of the drive clutch, a customized air box (gutted with flow-rites), a diamond s mesh hood, a CPC secondary clutch conversion, fuel pressure gauge, automotive fog lamps for lights (1 under the hood and one on the hood), an EZ-Ryde rear suspension also with exit shocks, a R&M light weight seat, snow eliminator running board inserts, a BDX lite rear bumper, a LED rear tail light, and a XF1000 rear heat exchanger (since the stock M7 one won't be enough). For years also I was running a Cutler dragoncat 1000cc big bore kit with twin pipes, v-force reeds, blueprinted cases, 50mm throttle bodies, boondocker box, dual egts & a water temp probe with an avenger III gauge, and a plug in block heater (for those cold mornings). I've absolutely LOVED the sled and that's why I just keep dumping money into it instead of going to something newer.

I've sold the dragoncat motor and everything that went with it to go bigger. My build is to change the motor mounts around a bit and to drop a M1000 motor in with a Cutler 1300 big bore. This is where MOST will ask why not just turbo. In a nutshell, I'm not ready to give up the instant throttle response you can only get from a big bore. For the kind of riding I like to do and the way I want my sled to perform, I don't think I'd be as happy with a turbo YET. Also many people when I talked about this build ask me why not just buy a used M1000 and go from there. First off you can see that I've done a lot to this sled to get it to handle the way I want it to and I'm one of those odd ball guys out there that DOES NOT want anything longer than a 141", so I decided to go this route.

I've been planning on this build for a few years and over that time have picked up most of the things I'll need to do it. I picked up a M1000 crate motor, throttle bodies, M1000 intake boot (goes from the air box to throttle bodies), wiring harness, ecu, ccu, the pto motor mount plate, next to the oil pump motor mount, a BDX lite recoil drive with titanium bolts, a new boondocker box, v-force reeds, and of course the 1300 big bore kit. I sent the pistons and dome head inserts to Swain Tech to have them coated (hopefully for some added insurance). I also split the cases and had the crank welded by Mike up at CPI. I've got a long ways to go but I'll take lots of pictures!!

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
DEFINITION OF A MOD SLED:
1. BIG ENGINE IN LIGHTEST CHASSIS OF THE BUILDERS CHOICE!
2. OR A DRASTIC CHANGE IN PERFORMANCE OR ENGINEERING!
3. MOD IT FROM THE 120s-2000cc sleds long or short let her RIP!

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Hey, one of the things I need to figure out is that the motor rubs up against the oil tank. I'm not sure if the M1000 has a different shaped one, so I could just buy that but not sure. Do any of you guys know? I don't want to do the oil delete since I'm not thinking fuel economy will be great and I've had to carry gas with me in the past, and with the delete I would have even less fuel in the tank. The other option I'm thinking is I could probably easily make something out of a plastic bottle or something. Any input or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Sent from my phone using tapatalk

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I have both a M1000 and a M7 tore down at my shop.I will have a look at both of them tomorrow and let you know if there are any differences.If there is you can have the m1000 one as these sleds are both getting boost.It might not be worth all the shipping from Canada to you though...

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
The other thing I forgot to ask is if I do end up making my own, does anyone know if not having the oil gauge not hooked up, will that trip a sensor? When people do the oil delete, do they have to plug something in to fool the ecu?

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
It is just a oil level sensor,on my sleds with oil delete there was no issues at all.
There will be no codes or wrenches coming up on your dash if you run with out the sensor hooked up.
You will more than likely want to have the hose at the bottom of your tank the same as the stock one,to low and you may starve the pump of oil.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I had to head back to my shop,checked out both of the oil tanks and there is a difference between the two,there is more of a indent on the lower part of the tank.
If you pay the shipping I will send you a m1000 tank.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I had to head back to my shop,checked out both of the oil tanks and there is a difference between the two,there is more of a indent on the lower part of the tank.
If you pay the shipping I will send you a m1000 tank.

wow Dave..it takes a good man to get those out in one piece...im envious...i mutilated mine...lol...

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I need a M1000 steering post also if anyone out there has one laying around.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Why dont you put a track under that thing ? I guess it all depends on rider size and what type of riding you do. But me being 240 lbs and riding alot of trees and boondocking I can even think about going shorter than 162. That 1300 is going to make a ton of power, but if you can get it to the ground it doesnt do much good. IMO.
Anyway, that is a sweet build, cant wait to see it finished. You may want to check the boys at powerhouse for your steering post. they might have one.

Premium Features