• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody pull 2 trailers hooked together?

M
Ask a WI state patrol today if I could pull 2 (2 place) trailers legally. He said yes, with a $75.00 permit. Any of you guys tried that? I'm wondering if they would whip around bad. Don't bother telling me "they'd be a bitch to back up"

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
You talking drive on drive off i assume. No reason you couldnt do it, wont be as stable as a single 4 place, nor as safe IMO. But nothing unreasonable i dont think.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
In MOST states where they do allow you to pull tripple rigs, the 1st trailer MUST be either a 5th wheel, or gooseneck/kingpin hitch. VERY very few states allow them both to be bumper pulls. My parents travel all over the country and Canada pulling a triple. 5th wheel travel trailer with a 20' boat behind it. The overall lentgh limits vary alot from state to state. Got to keep that in mind as well.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I see trucks pulling RVs (bumper hitch types) and towing boats or quads all the time. I pull my quad behind my 5th wheel all the time. I haven't witnessed any pulling 2 two-place trailers though and not I would even do it.

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I don't see the advantage.

There are too many times that you have to back up, whether it is to get in line at the fuel pump, or to jockey into a parking spot at the snow park. I also think the "seat of the pants" feel of the trailer behind you warning of bad things like a flat tire might be lost on the last trailer. I could be wrong, but it would take more concentration to make sure all is right.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I would think the money spent on two 2-place place trailers would be better spent on a good 4-place. Last thing you want is a tangled mess of 4 sleds and 2 trailers along an icy mountain road

Perhaps a sled deck and a 2-place would be better for you??

M
Well, here's the thing, I have many trailers taking up space in my shed. I have a 4-place enclosed, a 2-place enclosed, 2-place open and 4-place open (all tag trailers) I am out of room. I take my turbo and my stocker (back-up) sleds on several trips west each winter, pulled by my suv. I always have buddies along (limited to 2) to fill up my 4-place enclosed. Now if I could hook my 2-place enclosed behind (and still be legal length) I could take 4 extra guys. I have plenty of power to pull it. Another senario, I sell all my trailers and just keep the 2-place enclosed (for my 2 sleds) then anybody else that wants to come along hooks their own 2-place behind mine. Still I want to know if anyboby has tried this.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I could see it workiing on dry summer roads.

I would rather screw a bee hive than pull that on winter roads.
I could see it whipping like a plantation slave master.

I would think 1st trailer should be tandem.
Getting tongue weight correct would be challenging also.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
In MOST states where they do allow you to pull tripple rigs, the 1st trailer MUST be either a 5th wheel, or gooseneck/kingpin hitch. VERY very few states allow them both to be bumper pulls. My parents travel all over the country and Canada pulling a triple. 5th wheel travel trailer with a 20' boat behind it. The overall lentgh limits vary alot from state to state. Got to keep that in mind as well.

X2 I know for a fact that MN and SD require the first trailer to be a gooseneck or similar. So don't drive through those two states if you do try it.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
road-train-australia-truck.jpg

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
2 trailer remnants

I saw this yesterday getting off I-15 at the Fort Hall Exit 80.
It's what is left of what I am assuming is a truck and camp trailer, The other boat trailer and frame were still in the middle of the pile of rubble about a mile back. I saw the original mess and didn't get a chance to take any picture but as I passed this guy I pulled over and grabbed the camera.

2012-06-22_17-18-46_152.jpg

2012-06-22_17-18-10_594.jpg

2012-06-22_17-18-52_145.jpg

I used to pull the 4 wheelers behind the camp trailer until I saw taillights in both mirrors at the same time coming back from Bone once. Scared the heck out of me so bad I had to pull over for 20 minutes to walk off the adrenaline shakes afterward. Never did that again after that incident.
That second trailer can sure play hell with you rig if it gets to whipping.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I pull 2 bumper hitch trailers (single and double axle) all over the country and have not been hassled at any scale. Some customers are surprised when I pull into their yard with 2 trailers in tow and ask how I made it by the DOT. One time I pulled a one of these trailers and a 2 place open sled trailer out to Bozeman MT, 80 on the interstate with no problems whatsoever. I did have a trooper in IA swing around on the I-80 once and pull me over for not having my E-brake cable hooked up to the pickup, how he saw that in the opposite lane going 80 is beyond me, but he didn't say anything about 2 trailers.

dodge2trailers.jpg

J

JDen

Feb 9, 2009
Neilburg, Sk.
I haul a 2 place open trailer behind my 5th wheel camper all the time, the boat quite often too, depends what weekend it is! Have done the same with bumper hitch camper. Once hauled a tent trailer behind the boat...that was a bit sketchy but only because of the tiny little tires on the tent trailer. I see no problem doing it, I wouldn't plan on breaking any speed records though.

J

JDen

Feb 9, 2009
Neilburg, Sk.
Not the same as what you're getting at, I realize that, but I hauled this down to St Anthony sand dunes and home from central Saskatchewan(about 900 miles each direction) through Saskatchewan, Alberta, Montana, and Idaho, and never had any issues with DOT's or Police or anyone at all.

Attachments

• Full rig.jpg
    Full rig.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 85
Premium Features