• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Summit Highmark (Oldie but goodie)

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Here is the story of my 2002 Summit Highmark X800. I bought this sled for a awsome deal four years ago from the original owner who was a retired carpenter that took very good care of it. There wasnt a scratch on it and all he ever did to it was wash wax and pollish it.

094hf.jpg

By mcotto55 at 201
092gm.jpg

By mcotto55 at 2012-05-252-05-25
093rw.jpg

By mcotto55 at 2012-05-25

This is where the obsession started, of course I should have just saved all the money that I am going to show you I spent and just traded it off for a new one. However I have so much work and money into it now that I will probably just keep it for quite some time yet.

The first year I just did the basic stuff, put on a can and a little bit taller riser. The second year is when things got a little more involved. I started by putting air vents on the belly pan. I got these from 2 cool air vents.com. They are a great company to work with and there product is very good. I ordered them with the prefilter on both sides to keep the snow out. Secondly I changed out the track to a 16 in wide 151x2.25 challenger lite track off of a 2007 xrs. At the same time I changed out the drivers for the exos off of the 2007 and added a 8in big wheel kit.

img1103uz.jpg

At the time I didnt know how bad that track really was but now I know why I got such a good deal on it. So as you can amagine I will end up changing it out which I am doing right now, however I did fight trough it for a couple years.

My third summer is when things really got out of control. I decided it was probably time to put new pistons in the engine since it had 2400 miles on it and never had the engine apart. So I couldnt just get regular old pistons and put her back together instead I did a Rk Tek drop in kit with 13:1 compression for sea level in Iowa and 15:1 for out west where we go every year. While doing this I installed a KOSO egt, rpm, and water temp gauge. I also sent my clutches, primary and secondary out the Big John at SHR to have them rebuilt and different clutch kit put in.
I will say there are always debates on here who it better SHR or Rk Tek, I dont know which is better but they are both great. They are both great people to talk to, they give you a lot of time and answer all the stupid questions that you can come up with. There products are also top notch and work just as they are sopose to.
Had to buy a set of simmons skis becouse the deal was too good to pass up, and I was sick of hearing all the hype and needed a pair. I do love them a lot more then the stock skis let me tell you.
I also intalled a LED tail light, fuel jug and boss seat. I installed snow elininaters half way through that season, they are a must.
12182011021.jpg

By mcotto55 at 2011-12-18
12182011024.jpg

12182011025.jpg

12182011028.jpg

12182011020.jpg

That leads me to where I am right now, my computer is about to die so i have to continue this another time. I am in the middle of a track and tunnel change. More details and pictures to come

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Forgot to say that when I did all the other engine work that I installed vforce reeds, but anyways on to what I have going on now. I decided that I needed more track, plus I alway liked the way that tilted up tunnels looked especially ve enterprise tunnels. So I gave ve a call and talked to Chris that works there. Chris helped me with what I wanted to do and was very helpful. Most places when I call and tell them I am working on a 2002 summit they get snotty and tell me I should get a newer sled they dont build parts for mine anymore. Well that was not the case with Chris, he was more then helpfull and made me a one off tunnel extention that turned out perfect I could not have asked for anything better. I also picked up a 162x16x2.25 challenger track off of a 2005 summit 1000. I decided to port the track a little becouse I like the way it looks, the track bends a little easier plus I think it helps with cooling a little. I picked up some wahlt 7 tooth drivers, freeing up a lot of room up front. With the 7 tooth drivers I can easily fit my hand up infront of the track between the heat exchanger and reach all the way over the top. I changed my gearing to 19 on top and 46 on the bottom, hoping I didnt go too far down with the gearing and the drivers just have to see. I just know the track is going to take a lot of power to spin, plus I want to have lots of power out of the hole and be able to hold track speed.
img1107nt.jpg

By mcotto55 at 2012-05-26
img1106ry.jpg

79175712.jpg

img1141au.jpg

59279642.jpg

I also picked up some used carbon fiber Fabcraft control arms that I had painted to match my hood and belly pan. Very imressed with how strong, light and well built they are.
Right now I have rail extensions on to fit the 162 track however I would really like to find longer rails that would work instead. Just gotta do a little more looking into that.

Well I really really like the way the tunnel turned out, it is stronger then ----. If anything gives it will be infront of the extension on the actuall tunnel itself. Let me know what you all think

Last edited:
S

scrfce

Oct 10, 2009
bc
Wtf kbl6z why would u bad rep me for complimenting the guy on his build

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
Nice sled and build:hail: I have thought about a 159" x 16 track on my 02. Really like the tunnel ext. maybe I'll have to put one on mine.Question what did you do with the old ext? Also how did the heat exchanger work with the tunnel ext? Bet you can't wait to try it out .

Last edited:

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
I will have to take some pictures to help me explain what I did with the heat exchanger. I will try to get them taken and give you a write up on that in the next couple of days. Any yes I can't wait to ride it.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
looks really nice good job

have you thought of an aftermarket pipe, should be able to gain some HP.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
That is what I want to find (159 rails). If anyone out there has a set of 159 rails off of a 2007 xrs I need some measurments. Thanks again.
As far as the pipe, what is the best way to go? Anyone had any luck with a pipe with the engine setup I have? Always open to ideas

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
I will have to take some pictures to help me explain what I did with the heat exchanger. I will try to get them taken and give you a write up on that in the next couple of days. Any yes I can't wait to ride it.

I had some cooling issues when we had low snow fall one year. I would like to know what you did with your cooler on your extention project.:face-icon-small-coo

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Well I have been away from here for a while and finally getting around to working on the sled and updateing my build. recently I cut down the windshield and put new trim around the outside. Took me a long time to do the measuring and getting it all layed out right so that it would come out even. After that it was very easy to cut with my dremel and put the new trim on. I think it turned out good and really makes it look sleeker.
56113733.jpg

Also I was asked how I finished out the heat exchanger. Well this was my biggest hurdle of the whole extension and I ended up leaving it straight and riviting a filler slash suport peice of alluminum in to make it work. Now I was tempted to try to bend the exchanger up to the tunnel but I figured this would kink the inside and distroy the exchanger. So by leaving it straite like i did and making a suport to hold it up, as well as blocking off snow from building up on the top of the exchanger. Now I think with the way that I have it, it will trap a little bit of snow on top of it, there are 2 inches or so haning out, this will help with cooling alot more then you think. Also i think it hanging down a little will help with cooling a bunch as well. I know that the track will not hit it and I will have no problems with that at all. I am preaty sure this will work that way it is and I will have no cooling problems. If I do then I will change my cooler out to a fabcraft U-cooler or something like that if I have too.
73750844.jpg

60211438.jpg

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
Gonna keep the stock radius rods? I make my own using ball joints rather than the rubber jobbies. It freed up the front end an insane amount! Just my .02. sweet looking build! glad to see i'm not the only one playing with the ZX oldies!

josh

Premium Features