• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Killer Kids Sled

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
A friend of mine has a 9 year old daughter who has grown up through the sledding life. She will ride 2-up with her mom on an M7 162 and when we pull over for lunch the little girl will go tour around in the parks on the M7 just fine, but lets all agree a 9year old 100lb child shouldn't have a snowmobile that big.

So in a drunken brain storm we came up with this idea: What if we put a 570 fan in a M 141" chassis? (I understand the 570 is a rear intake/front exhaust and will need its own motor mounts fabricated and the hood might be an issue with the pipe.)

But look at it this way, all the coolant lines and exchangers can be stripped (60-80lbs off) and the 570 motor is lighter than a 600L/C (15lbs) and assuming I build a mesh hood for her (minus 20lbs+, and will help aton with the cooling). Plus whatever else we can lighten in the process.

All in all the reliable M chassis is going to be down in the 330-350lb range with a solid 72hp 570cc and a 141"X15"X1.5" track

Thoughts???

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Pretty cool idea, but i think you are way over estimating how much weight you might save. From a time and money stand point I'd just buy an m5 and be done with it.

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
Find her an old Yamaha Phazer and put a 1" track under it. That is what I brought my son and daughter up on and they did great on them, and they are very light. My son is 14 now and has been riding an M7 for the past two years. he still has trouble if he sinks it in the deep but even most adults have trouble then. At 14 he can run circles around most of the people that we ride with.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Got a 2005 M5 chassis for her and most of a 570 already, I'll get pics and a build thread going once I start! Unfortunately we are probably going to miss this season but that just gives me more time to do it right. (plus I have a 1924 Model T tore down in the shop right now that needs to get done for a guy before I can do any fun projects)

turboshorty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
stevensville MT
Kid's sleds

You need to go to Fabcrafts web site and check out the 120 sleds that Mike did for a couple of his customers.He is talking of trying to do a mid-size sled like a 370 polaris for kids. I would talk with him if interested in some like the ones he has built.:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features