• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

94 XLT questions

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
i just picked up a 94 xlt 600 triple, and lookinf for some easy performence help, anything from engine to track to suspension, it has a 136" with 2 " paddles already and fox all around, thanks

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
What do you plan on doing with the sled? like what kind of riding and all that? one of the easier things to do to help it perform is gearing... and clutching... Pipes are a risk if your not sure of the motor internals and not ready to rebuild a motor. some are good, some are not. bar risers are nice and help with comfort, but a extended brake cable and throttle cable will be needed with a riser over 2" I think. skis are another easy change, I know simmons gen 1 work great with the old trailing arms sleds. any plastic ski will be better than your steel skis thou. rear suspension is another option. xtra 10 or even an xtra light or edge rmk skids will be a lot better in that sled than the stock x-100 skid.

a lot of options, just depends on how far you want to go with it and what you want to do with it, if ya got any questions feel free to PM me, I have done pretty much anything and everything to an wedge chassis... good luck!

CK

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
well its my little brothers newest sled, he just switched from a phazer lol. so its gonna be a huge upgrade regardless, but its got a 133 or 136 already and plastic skiis. so i guess i done know what we really need to do, we gutted the air box already and want triple pipes but dont wanna spin a crankshaft. we trail ride as well as boondock a little were both begginers to this sport, but want the upgrades to keep us going, thanks

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
also have you ever or ever seen someone convert a wedge seat and gas tank to a gen 2? basically i am wanting to put a gen2 seat on the wedge chassis. i can fabricate if need be thanks

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
as for the seat on that sled, the nice thing is you dont have any coolers or coolant lines under the seat, so upgrading the seat is very easy. Ive personally done a edge tank and a boss high rise seat on mine, and my buddy has done a 06 IQ tank and seat combo on his... options are endless for seats really.

Mine, with edge seat and boss highrise...
IMG_0150.jpg

My buddies with 06 IQ tank and seat
IMAG0026.jpg

hope this helps ya out some.

CK

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
chadkrump!!! 94 XLT

chad please help. what are the better set of pipes to run on my xlt? we took the machine out this weekend and it ran like **** till i figured out that the fuel pump was not keeping up with the fuel demand. so i took it off and cleaned is out and it ran alot better. then after i dropped the needle one spot it ran even better then a small adjustment to the air flow it ran great. still seems like it should be snappier, was thinking a set of pipes or even a 800 motor swap idk what do you think?

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Pipes.. well, I have personally had PSI modblasters on my 95 XLT way back in the day and it ripped! very responsive and ran well, a lot of RPMS tho. I think I was running upper 9s. SLP makes a good set for the xlt too, but I have never personally used them. Now keep in mind your motor can become a ticking time bomb with pipes on it... just all depends on how many miles are on it and how hard you beat it up with the pipes on it. 600 triple motors are a dime a dozen now days so I would say go for it. be prepared for it to be loud tho, I have PSI pipes on my 800 storm and its loud as sh!t... hope that helps ya out for the pipe issue.

as for the cooler issue... whats your main reason to move the coolers? I have heard of a lot of guys taking the running board coolers off and using a skidoo u cooler under the tunnel instead.... if you are reading this X2freeride feel free to chime in... lol

as for a motor swap, the ultra 680 motors are good, make decent power with triple pipes and its an easy conversion. have personally put a 97 680 triple into a 93 xlt a couple years ago with SLP pipes, its got one HELL of a power band... very fun sled. honestly if you want a great triple motor, try to find a 99 or newer XCR 800 motor (VES) great reliable motors that make awesome power. keep in mind when looking for motors to find a set of pipes that fit in that wedge chassis. pipes are getting hard to come by for that chassis.

good luck

CK

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
We ran SLP triples on a 95 XLT. They really woke up that engine. It ran about 9100 rpm. They sounded nice but were not too loud. Your 94 XLT was prior to the bad crank era so you should be okay to run triples. Turn up the oiler a bit. You will probably have to go to Ebay to find some pipes as I don't think anybody is making them new anymore.

S

stevepolaris

Mar 4, 2012
if you can weld pretty good make your self some u coolers. its a harder thing to do but they work great.. and put them up by the drivers thts were they work the best..

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
I was in the process of building a Wedge then ended up selling the motor out of it and dropped it into a 01 Mountain Cat. I have some light weight trailing arms and a nice low non flare windsheild both black and new few nicks and stuff from being around the shop. I know the trailing arms are really light compaired to stock, they were going to be going on my 93 XLT 580 bored to a 600. I thought the 94 was also a 580?? But pipes and clutching is what wakes these motors up and you can buy them dirt cheap now a days.

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
well i have A SET of triple pipes that i put on my 83 600, but they were bought for a 95 xlt fuel injected, the guy said he could never get them to work right. so i was thinking about putting the stock pipe back on the 83 and putting them PSI pipes on the 94 XLT. so should i go back to stock jets? or what would you recommen? and thanks alot guys your really helping

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Can you get a jetting chart from PSI for those pipes? That would be the best bet. We jetted one size leaner from SLP specs on their pipes and reduced the pilot jet from 35 to 25 for better throttle response. Safest way for you is to go up about 2 jet sizes from stock recommendations and then tune from there.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Can you get a jetting chart from PSI for those pipes? That would be the best bet. We jetted one size leaner from SLP specs on their pipes and reduced the pilot jet from 35 to 25 for better throttle response. Safest way for you is to go up about 2 jet sizes from stock recommendations and then tune from there.

:wacko: Im sure Bruce will send that information right along with my reimbursement check for the cylinders for my 890 cylinders. Its only been 7 years now. Even back in the day when he knew what the information was he wouldn't give it to you for free.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Pipes.. well, I have personally had PSI modblasters on my 95 XLT way back in the day and it ripped! very responsive and ran well, a lot of RPMS tho. I think I was running upper 9s. SLP makes a good set for the xlt too, but I have never personally used them. Now keep in mind your motor can become a ticking time bomb with pipes on it... just all depends on how many miles are on it and how hard you beat it up with the pipes on it. 600 triple motors are a dime a dozen now days so I would say go for it. be prepared for it to be loud tho, I have PSI pipes on my 800 storm and its loud as sh!t... hope that helps ya out for the pipe issue.

as for the cooler issue... whats your main reason to move the coolers? I have heard of a lot of guys taking the running board coolers off and using a skidoo u cooler under the tunnel instead.... if you are reading this X2freeride feel free to chime in... lol

as for a motor swap, the ultra 680 motors are good, make decent power with triple pipes and its an easy conversion. have personally put a 97 680 triple into a 93 xlt a couple years ago with SLP pipes, its got one HELL of a power band... very fun sled. honestly if you want a great triple motor, try to find a 99 or newer XCR 800 motor (VES) great reliable motors that make awesome power. keep in mind when looking for motors to find a set of pipes that fit in that wedge chassis. pipes are getting hard to come by for that chassis.

good luck

CK

Ah yes the Skidoo U cooler. Dime a dozen on ebay and at haydays 100 bucks a pop is typical going rate at haydays. I have got a few cheaper at haydays. They work EXCELLENT and you will never have to worry about cooling again.

The 580 XLT engine is a decent engine. Pipes on your 580 will be no problem they didnt have 1/8 the crank issues that their later 600 counterparts did.

I wouldnt worry about turning up the oil pump on a 580 XLT. They were oiled pretty much spot on from the factory.

Factory cooling on this sled is really good. The foot-well coolers really work well. I really would not worry about the added weight that they provide. If you run a longer track just run a set of scratcher's and you will be fine.

Im kinda partial to the XCR engine :rockon: Im in the process of building a XCR 800 powered Van Amburg/ holz chassis gen 2 sled.

The Ultra engine is another great engine. Just can only go so far with compression, and you cant advance the timing much without it detonating. 145-147 HP is about all that is safe with pipes. When you get close to that 150 mark you detonate pretty bad, pretty fast.
Which is why its just easier to start with the XCR engine in the first place.

Last edited:
T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
The sled that I started out with was a '94 XLT. I picked it up with a set of early triple SLP pipes (three individual mufflers), some clutching, and a Holz rear suspension setup with rails and 136" track. It's the wifes sled now and she gets around very well on it. That engine just sounds sick when screaming up a hill, but I used to wear earplugs when I rode it.

The PTO end of the crank is known for being a weak point and you can have dual bearings installed to rectify the problem (requires case machining).

Premium Features