• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Questions and thoughts on a "Budget" m7 build(just basic little things)

C
Mar 20, 2011
Edit: Im younger and on have been modding my truck so im planning on a bit this summer/spring just not alot.

Ok what the sled has Black 2006 m7 efi 153'',snow eliminators,venting,ice scratchers,mbrp can,slp inner wheel kit,aftermarket grips,slp big air intake,boss seat,Custom decal kit from Htr,tether,slp green & pink primary,white Ac secondary, 65g weights,6'' bar riser. The only things i did to the sled was regular maintence dd oil and went over everything then put the decal kit on (in the pics you will see it says "Humper" just so everyone knows thats my "nick" name) and the tether and did the slp recomended clutching and the bar riser and throttle and brake line extensions and added some more venting. Ok so first off i made a mistake and the 6'' riser is to big im putting on a 2'' (im 5'11'') also i have to finish up my venting.

Now onto recent things, this weekend i went out to the metior mine hillclimbs and the sled started flashing code 6 (servo motor) so this week/weekend im going to take the servo motor off check the wires make sure there not loose clean the power valves and then measure and properly adjust the cables. That should clear up the problems.

Now onto summer plans, i dont have a huge budget plus i dont want to spend a bunch on this and loose a bunch. So im going to just try good most "benificial" upgrades and stuff i can sell and get most my money back out of and im going to try get as much as i can use. So everyone says these m7's are best left alone or dont touch the engine other then basic stuff can intake etc. So now the list:

Powerclaw track or ce 2.5

Finish putting on tunnel and bumper decals

More venting

Bumper update

Different or homemade intake ( I hate the slp rubber boot i have to take it off the hood horn and intake box horn when i want to take the hood on or off and its came undone twice) Thinking m8/m1000 intake with venting in the belly to the airbox or make my own intake. Comments or ideas ?

Questions:

Should i do twins ? (most think there not worth it and a hassle)

Should i run a head ?

Also i want to delete the headlights and vent them out and put a light or two on the bars how much watts should i draw so i dont burn the m7 down i know most resistors people run on them are 60 watt but i want to make sure i dont burn up the ecu as we all know it likes power taken from it if im drawing 80+ watts from it will i be totally safe ? How much do the stock lights draw ?

Pics (got no pics of when i had it first but only thing was it didnt have the decals and few other little things i mentioned)

Decal kit on
STP81492.jpg

Decal kit and everything else up to date

STP81523.jpg
STP81522.jpg

Last edited:
C
Mar 20, 2011
40 views and no one has any help or comments ? Anyone got anything to say about the "mods" im thinking of doing ? Any thoughts on a head or twins ? How hard the twins would be to tune for a rookie to fuel controllers?

C
Mar 20, 2011
So im starting to design my own cold air intake. I also got some mesh for some venting today and just gonna start drawing up a template to use to make the venting even on both sides. Also looking at prices and where im going to get the CE 2.5. Also i ordered a 2'' bar riser going to take out the 6''.

C
Mar 20, 2011
So other then the venting and track im thinking im probably going to go with a head. Also looking for other suggestions on what to do on the sled just cheaper things or free stuff, thanks guys !! Also i got some work to do tomorrow i have to clean the powervalves adjust the wires and check the servo motor. Also going to check my local hardware stores for abs plastic or plastic of some sorts for my vents.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
So im starting to design my own cold air intake. I also got some mesh for some venting today and just gonna start drawing up a template to use to make the venting even on both sides. Also looking at prices and where im going to get the CE 2.5. Also i ordered a 2'' bar riser going to take out the 6''.

haha was just gonna say for 5' 11'' thats a fffin huge riser. I dont really know much about cats or what works well on them,

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
and personally id leave those headlights, when your in the mtns shiiit happens and itd suck having to ride in the dark with no light. as for you ya id recommend a powder claw track for now lol big bore the sucker when you blow it up so save your money, A can and get the clutches working good and get the stock engine to produce power efficiently and reliably.

I know on the M series part on the cat section on here had some good pointers.

edit: Nvm i didnt read you wanted too throw light bars on, I dont think they would work too well since the power is AC not DC, so i think it be too unstable for an led light bar.

Last edited:
C
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks for giving a comment. Also i talked to a local guy who mods cats all the times and takes headlights out and he puts aftermarket lights on, i wouldn't use leds but i don't see why it wouldn't work, just cut the wires to the stock lights and maybe extend the wires if needed and then sauter them to the new lights and mount. Unless I'm not thinking about something don't see why it wouldn't work. Also i went today and order a torsional spring kit thing/tool that i replace with a piece on my clutch so it easy to take off belts on the trail if i have to i just use the tool it spread the clutch take the belt of put the new one on. It also makes adjusting belt deflection very simple. Also i got them to put away a bdx bumper kit with tunnel supports, ill just pick it all up when the other parts in. Other then that still searching for abs plastic for vents and the vinyl wrap for the tunnel. Also i talked to him about ordering a CE 2.5 and i will be ordering one closer to summer. Also my 2'' riser should be in tomorrow or wensday and i will be swapping out the 6'' for the 2''. Also did some looking around today at every local store i could think of for vinyl wrap and abs plastic couldnt find anything so i will probably order of the internet.

>>>Also cbc24 you might have missed it in the "mess" of my first post but i got a can and "basic" upgrades etc. (" Ok what the sled has Black 2006 m7 efi 153'',snow eliminators,venting,ice scratchers,mbrp can,slp inner wheel kit,aftermarket grips,slp big air intake,boss seat,Custom decal kit from Htr,tether,slp green & pink primary,white Ac secondary, 65g weights,6'' bar riser.") Also for the record i did test the clutching a bit down low last ride before the "code 6" came on and it was night and day difference and had way more bottom end now that its fixed i should be able to take it out this weekend and test it for sure but i can tell its way better its slp recommended and seeing the changes down low i expect it will be perfect and be grabbing all the rpms it should, ill have to wait and see but like i said im sure it will be great!!

Last edited:
C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
ya your set !! i was just unsure of LED headlights because i didnt know if the bulbs could handle the constant fluctuations of the ac power going to it, its not a constant power supply hence why your lights dim at idle.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
ya your set !! i was just unsure of LED headlights because i didnt know if the bulbs could handle the constant fluctuations of the ac power going to it, its not a constant power supply hence why your lights dim at idle.

get some pics of that hog in daylight lol and riding.

C
Mar 20, 2011

get some pics of that hog in daylight lol and riding.

Ok i get what your saying now. I will get some next time out (might not go this weekend) and i will get some pics of me sidehilling or climbing or a video or something.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
If you don't know how to tune the sled, leave it stock. You dont need mods. Twins are a hassle for someone who does not know how to tune. Ive read your other posts about just getting the sled to perform in the STOCK form, with mods it becomes much more complicated.

Just ride it and enjoy the time riding, you dont need the biggest baddest sled around. The m7 is a great mountain sled. And you hardly ever get the money back out of mods you put into a sled. its a losing investment.

Fill it with gas & oil, ride it, have fun.

C
Mar 20, 2011
If you don't know how to tune the sled, leave it stock. You dont need mods. Twins are a hassle for someone who does not know how to tune. Ive read your other posts about just getting the sled to perform in the STOCK form, with mods it becomes much more complicated.

Just ride it and enjoy the time riding, you dont need the biggest baddest sled around. The m7 is a great mountain sled. And you hardly ever get the money back out of mods you put into a sled. its a losing investment.

Fill it with gas & oil, ride it, have fun.

Ya thats what im going to do for now. Im just putting a Ce 2.5 on it and bought a bumper update and such,and im doing venting and little **** like that. Most guys say also the m7 isn't worth doing engine mods to unless you go all out. Also about mods ive thought about it and im doing stuff that is cheap or that i can take off. Also i did get it tunned in and clutched. It's not that i can't do it,its just i didn't grow up around a mechanic type atmosphere and all but i got a liking for it a couple years ago and started modding cummins and thats all i did with my buddy this summer is mod my truck and **** (hes a heavy duty mechanic for finning) anyways long story short it just sometimes takes me longer and i have to figure everything out and its harder when you don't grow up around it if you know what i mean. Sorry for the rant. Thanks for commenting. Also i got new servo motor cables ordered as one was broke and the other one was in bad ship, kind of a piss off they were $80 each. But other then then im going to mesh some of the hood this weekend from the other side with a type of silicone, if that doesn't work and hold up after a while later on i will buy some abs plastic and make vents with that and mesh like how all the "big" company's do.

Premium Features