• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado Sled Access Stoke/Conditions Thread 2011-2012

M
Apr 3, 2011
This thread is a place to post up Colorado observations, questions, trips reports, stoke etc. Post up some stoke!

This season has seen A LOT of sled access for me and a bit of sled lapping. Here are some of the highlights so far. Click the links for the full TR of each adventure.

Slate River - 11.19.2011:
DSC06414.jpg

DSC06410.jpg

Slate River - 12.16.2011:
DSC06951.jpg

Wolf Creek Early January 2012:
DSC072652.jpg

pillow.jpg

DSC07330.jpg

Wolf Creek Late January 2012:
IMG_5968-Copy.jpg

IMG_5972-Copy.jpg

Early Season Edit:

R
Mar 16, 2010
No pictures, too busy skiing foot-deep powder on a moderate pitch slope under blue skies both days last weekend.

Vail Pass transformed in the past two weeks - a week ago Monday, Wilder Gulch opened, and by Saturday, all of the cat-roads were in & the skiing was spectacular. We stayed on low angle stuff, stayed off Ptarm/Cupcakes, heard that MGR was faceted and icky in the trees, so stuck with Boss Basin & the B.

Actually, one picture - skiing cohort took a phone call ("the internet is broken, wahhhhhh...." ok, fine, he runs an e-commerce website, I GUESS we'll let it slide), took a crap cellphone pic looking down what he was making us wait to ski. 500ish vertical, nothing gnar, just Colorado postcard-skiing.

Pretty awesome weekend, all told. Back again this wknd.

queenbee.jpg

M
Apr 3, 2011
Went up Washington Gulch outside of Crested Butte for the first time today. Pretty surprised by the terrain, looks like there is some sled lapable terrain as well. The number of slides up there right now is crazy. Built a fun little jump in the afternoon after a fair amount of searching for a good spot.

DSC07761.jpg

DSC07712.jpg

DSC07732.jpg

Couple more pics on the blog.

Last edited:
M
Apr 3, 2011
Went up Washington Gulch for the second day in a row today. Skied Coney's, which was a first to me. Some fun terrain up there, nothing steep or gnar, but 1000' vert of boot deep pow. Evidence of avalanches everywhere, most of which I assume slid immediately after our last storm a week and a half or two weeks ago. Observed no signs of instability while we were up there though, looks like the snowpack is beginning to equilibrate.

DSC07789.jpg

DSC07795.jpg

M
Apr 3, 2011
Went up to Kebler Pass on Friday. I've been pretty freaked out by the snowpack, so we skied one lap in the Anthracites, then spent the rest of the day sledding around.

IMG_6343-1.jpg

Big slides everywhere, took this picture of Owen from the debris from the slide:
DSC07920-1.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg

More on the blog.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
Love what you're doing here. I'd love to tag along some time

I don't have a lot to ad, I always seem to miss the snow or get it while it's dumping and get no footage

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Mike I've seen you out a couple times judging by your sled. Did you buy that sled from a guy in CB? I don't remember his name, Jason maybe? I gave him a set of plugs one time up Slate like 3 years ago if its who I'm thinking of. Ended up being an air bubble in the fuel line or something after he rolled it.

I've been going up Slate quite a bit lately. Riding parts of Schuylkill and terrain in Baxter Basin. Gets the adrenaline going riding that area. Its big, but sleds can get around really well right now and there is still some decent snow if you look for it. And its been stable, just don't hang out late in the day. I'd post pics if I had a new computer, its great seeing all the other photos.

I think I saw you out the day you stacked that jump up Washington Gulch. I was with that larger group that uh...went over the boundary (not a common practice!)...and sled lapped those small cliffs/short chutes off Baldy. It was February 8th if I remember right.

Good to see another CB rider/skier on Snowest.
Cheers!

Premium Features