• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pre Season Check up

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Hey everyone,

My brother and I got to ride our bikes this weekend, had a blast. Anyone else out yet on bikes?

Just a reminder to save yourself some trouble. Check all your bolts, bearings, chains etc if you have a 2011 T-Sled kit you rode last season. My brothers kit had an issue with a bearing this weekend, preventing us from some epic riding...lame. Pre Season maintenance will go a long ways on these things, they are so simple and work so well its worth the extra effort.

Have a good one!
Andrew

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Which bearing failed?

Guys with Timbersleds, are you having to re-adjust chain tension every ride? Do you figure the internal chain case adjuster is moving under pressure?? Or maybe I just had my initial chain stretch happen.. it just seemed WAY too loose for the amount I rode it.

Jon

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
it was the bearing on the shaft coming out of the top of the "chaincase"

number 16(on the left) in the link pic
http://www.timbersled.com/partsMH2.htm

this is obviously going to be a wear and tear item that should probably be replaced every season, or at the very least checked up on. This bearing is holding a ton of force in check, so its cheap insurance imo.

The chaincase tension is easy to check so i do it before every ride, but after it stretches it should not need to be adjusted very often. Im not sure if those adjusters are moving or not, i will keep an eye on mine and report back.

Another tip to adding some chain life is using a good low temp grease and greasing the chain after a ride or two. That really seemed to slow down the chain wear on my bro's 2011 kit, it may not make a difference on my new 2012 kit since it has the steel sprockets. time will tell

A
Dec 5, 2008
Bearing

The bearing broke when I was pulling pretty hard in Second or third and I hit something under the snow. I was able to ride the kit for miles on the road back to the truck. The outer casing is now lodged inside the Bearing Housing and Im not sure how to go about getting it out. Maybe I will have to drill a section out.

20111128_203621.jpg

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Change your bearings

Last season in our group we went through 6 upper chain case bearings.

TimberSled has upgraded double seal bearings in this seasons kit.
The new bearings will fit last seasons kit and would be a good upgrade.

If you have a '11 MH with the stock chain, REPLACE it ASAP or it will ruin your sprockets.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I'm still waiting for the snow to stack up around here for a ride. Just put most of the kit on last night and will finish the rest today or tomorrow. The snow report coming up doesn't look great.

A
Dec 5, 2008
I broke about 3 lower strut rod bolts as well. You end up losing the spacers from your "fit kit", and that sucks. Ordered a bunch of back ups so I don't have to McGyver my bike back together with a socket extension, duct tape, and zip ties just to ride out. I weight in at an Ill 145lbs. haha. Whats gonna happen to you bigger guys?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I broke about 3 lower strut rod bolts as well. You end up losing the spacers from your "fit kit", and that sucks. Ordered a bunch of back ups so I don't have to McGyver my bike back together with a socket extension, duct tape, and zip ties just to ride out. I weight in at an Ill 145lbs. haha. Whats gonna happen to you bigger guys?

That's a failure I haven't heard of yet. What type of bike was that on?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Were you doing a lot of jumping or just standard boondocking to break those lower strut bolts? We actually commented on the build that the quality of the bolt was high... so I would hate to hear about it breaking. Sounds like something good to carry around for a "just-in-case" bag along with the fit kit spacers.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
He is just hard on everything he owns....

In all honesty, the bolt is pretty safe, it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a spare in your pack. I think he is just doomed to break something all the time.

EDIT:

Rush, he rides the bike pretty hard, jumping, boondocking, getting stuck, going places he shouldnt, you get the idea. I dont personally think its a widespread issue, but only time will tell. Everyone in the know that we talked to was pretty amazed to hear about that bolt breaking, and we didnt hear of anyone else breaking it. Bottom line is...he could break a crowbar in a sandbox. My .02

Ausm, its a 2010 Honda Cr450f with the 2011 kit.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Has anybody cross referenced the upgraded bearings to something we can pickup locally? If I had to have Timbersled ship them to me I am pretty sure they would charge more to ship the three bearings then what the cost of the bearings would be.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Has anybody cross referenced the upgraded bearings to something we can pickup locally? If I had to have Timbersled ship them to me I am pretty sure they would charge more to ship the three bearings then what the cost of the bearings would be.

we picked up bearings from the local Polaris shop.

A
Dec 5, 2008
Were you doing a lot of jumping or just standard boondocking to break those lower strut bolts? We actually commented on the build that the quality of the bolt was high... so I would hate to hear about it breaking. Sounds like something good to carry around for a "just-in-case" bag along with the fit kit spacers.

I like to jump for sure. I doubt I am any harder on it than most other experienced snow or dirt riders. Bottom line: I like to have fun. Im not trying to abuse my bike or my kit. I like to see what is possible on these kits. It impresses me every time I ride it. I grew up competing and pushing the limits, its only natural. Thats why I ride one. After the short time on the consumer market the kit has shown very few weaknesses. Its going to continue to dominate and the popularity will grow.

Premium Features