PDA

View Full Version : Best base layers?

rmscustom
11-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Whats everybodys favorite base layers for wicking sweat and staying warm?

Norona
11-27-2011, 01:03 PM
I have used everything from patagonia, lifa, ice breaker, smart wool , ski doo, columbia, mountain hardwear and tons of others and the best for the money is Helly Hansen Lifa, the reason is that the material will not axcept water so it wicks it away from your skin, keeping you dry. Layer is the best. I live in bc and use a short sleeve lifa with a long sleeve over top then my shell, perfect in every condition except when it gets really cold minus 20 then use a warm layer under shell. Lifa is also the cheapest with ice breaker being the most and I find with wool it gets heavier and does hold moisture...it feels nice though.

tudizzle
11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Under Armour

with outlets all over you can score it for cheap now too.

Basically all poly is the same except for the cut and amount of stretch.

Under Armour's cut..fit..and finish is superior to most I have seen on the market.

plus that have all kinds of different thicknesses to choose from depending on your individual needs

tmk50
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Under Armour

x2

I bought mine years ago when it cost more. I try not to look at prices now :)

capnkirk
11-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I have used Klim for three years now and like it very much. It seems to work great with my Klim mid layer and outer shell.

Burtonbreck
11-27-2011, 05:00 PM
I agree with under armour, coldgear is great for cold days and their heatgear works well on warmer days. I also use nike procombat which has become better the last few years and Burton AK is always nice especially buying on proform:face-icon-small-ton!

richracer1
11-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I got some stuff from Sportsman's Warehouse that seems to work great, but I can't remember the brand name. I comes in several varieties based on expected temps and activity levels. The stuff I bought is for high activity levels and cold to very cold temps. Used it last season and so far I'm very happy with it and went and got another couple of sets.

P.S. the brand is "ColdPruf"

Scoutin Wyo
11-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I use the same base layers that I use in my backcountry elk/deer hunts. I prefer Ice Breaker and Ibex merino wool. You can get them on closeout at Sierra Trading Post either online or in Cheyenne store off I-80. What I like about wool is the ability to wear them for more than one day without washing them and I won't gag myself with BO. The poly stuff works, but you stink to high h*ll after a day sweating.

Dogmeat
11-27-2011, 05:24 PM
I wear a pink Victoria's Secret thong and bra.

If you feel hot .... you stay warm .... right? :face-icon-small-sho

richracer1
11-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Thanks, I could've gone without that mental picture.
:jaw:

Clarke_67
11-27-2011, 06:39 PM
im a t-shirt and blue jeans kinda guy.... But i wear a tekvest and knee pads so i usualy stay WAY to hot.

4Z
11-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Under Armor and Nike here..

rmscustom
11-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Question for you Under Armour guys, what weight are you wearing next to skin and for what temps?

WYsteph
11-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Another under armour fan here, really like the compression fit. Over my ua, if it's cold, I wear a light fleece jacket and my exercise pants then my snow gear.

I also like the fact that they at least encourage if not support the hunting side of things unlike smartwool, etc.

I have just the basic compression cold gear, after I bought mine they came out with all the different weight so not sure what I would pick now.

Dam Dave
11-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Cotton Kills.....................

skibreeze
11-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Question for you Under Armour guys, what weight are you wearing next to skin and for what temps?

9 times out of 10, I wear the thinnest under armour in temps of 20 deg plus. The mid layer fleece is worn for colder temps and usually for the ride back to the truck.

Dogmeat
11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Actually, I just wear a pair of thermal bottoms, nike sweat pants, a sweatshirt and my snow gear.

I generally don't ride if its <0 degrees out.

FatDogX
11-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Under Armor here as well or Nike dri fit, both work well for a base layer. I wear Under Armor everyday for work and it works!

For the guys who have never tried Under Armor before or guys who don't care for the "compression" fit, try going up one size. It's still compression fit but it's not vacuum seal tight!!

tudizzle
11-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Cotton Kills.....................

x2.

Engine Pro 5x
11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Merino Wool Base Layer. Wife schooled me on the moisture wicking stuff. Get it at Backwoods >>>>.

milehighassassin
11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
I have some under Armour that I like but I think the best is some sort of moreno wool. I love smart wool. I have pro pricing on them through work, so it makes them affordable. There are tons of other manufactures now.

shelbwyo
11-28-2011, 01:06 PM
i really like my underarmor... I wear the warmest longjohns unless it is really warm out and a coldgear long sleeve shirt. I have never gotten wet or been cold... They have different warmths of gear now that would be good depending on conditions

indy28
11-28-2011, 02:09 PM
UA is my choice too. I make sure to get the mock-t coldgear version, seems to help keep my neckline a little warmer too. X2 on sizing one size bigger then you normally wear seems to me a bit more comfortable.

HOOCH256
11-29-2011, 07:13 AM
I used Klim for the last few years and this year I decided to try motorfist next2skin, they make some pretty good claims so I will see how it works!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

Jaynelson
11-29-2011, 05:00 PM
I have few merino wool items of different brands.....mostly backcountry skiing brands because it's readily available in town here.

In my experience, anything merino wool is awesome. It's spendy but after having it I wouldn't monkey with anything else.

11-29-2011, 07:33 PM

God damn thats funny! I just been wearing helly hansen, works great. Make nice sweaters for under your jacket aswell.

CATSLEDMAN1
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I've got some of everything in the long under wear drawer, wear it every day to work. Best price and best fitting in my opinion is Champion premium line available at target, nicer fit and feel than UA or NIKE. REEBOK for turtle necks, got them several years ago, have two or three brands of the compression mock turtle necks, ok on nice days, just don't cut it in real winter weather, NO Zips on the turtle necks.....wow thats a bad invention, I'll likely get a couple more for christmas. LIFA for wicking briefs, I wear them in my wet suit and dry suits for winter water sports/dirt biking........eliminates ichy monkey butt on long rides in all seasons.

Used to buy no seam silk or nylon socks to wear under my helmet...........can
't find any good thin no seam one's any more........got UA and HH, still looking for something good.

Ske-Bum
11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I very picky about my base layers and have a lot of the stuff. After using almost everything on the market, I use Ice Breaker. I buy the different weights of the Ice Breaker and wear lighter weights when it is warm and heavier weights when it is colder. Keeps me from having too many layers on. I also really like the wool as it doesn't smell nasty after wearing it.

A close second for me is Helly Hansen's Lifa, that is nice stuff also. None of the quality base layers are cheap though.

Mentzel
11-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Burton "Dry Ride" tops and bottoms work great also. Second best for me is under armor.

miralas
11-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Warm days: tall tee, basketball shorts, and the knee socks that come with my knee braces. Cold days: union suit, mom found a cabela's one at the thrift shop that's kept me super warm for years.

Matte Murder
11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
X2 what Norona said. Until you try Lifa you don't know what dry is. Under Armor and the like holds water way too much. Like the fit, don't like the wet. I wear the Lifa boxer briefs for support, and the long top and bottom. Troy Lee Armor soft vest over that and shell. I add a mid layer only when under 15 or when the trail is long to the mountains. I use smart wool or micro fleece for a mid if needed. I have a closet full of un-used Under Armor and the like now...
Also, Lifa is basically poly pro but it has a nice silky feel to it that lasts a long time and through a lot of washing. Cheap poly pro is kind stiff and scratchy and get worse when it goes through the wash a few times.

sledboy82
11-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I bought one from gander mountain to try. Im not impressed. It was 20degress out and i was cold. Ill see if i can find some of the above names and try those.

grizbacker
11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Under Armour cold gear with a looser nike dri fit long sleeve over that. It's been the best combo for me in all types of weather, keeps you warm and dry!

sledheadd
12-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Helly Hanson is my favorite.

Scott
12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I just picked up a Klim Summit LS shirt.

HOLEY SMOKES I like that shirt. It's way better that my Under Armor cold gear or my Hot Chillis (which I like BETTER than my Under Armor.

sled-fiend
12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Icebreaker Merino wool, Ive tried pretty much everything and nothing seems to beat it.

bannockrider
12-01-2011, 07:46 PM
nothing works better than the self-grown/free base layer...

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/bannockrider/hairy-back.jpg

skibreeze
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
You deserve red for that post.

yamahaboy701
12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Happy with my klim Base layer and new arctiva base layer.

What about mid layers, something you wear when its is below 0 for that trail ride in? Also something easy to pack away during the day...

doo181
12-01-2011, 11:59 PM
A thin poly pro layer anyone will do then ice breaker in the thickness appropriate for the temp. The ice breaker is great. It's very warm and does not pick up that permanent sweat smell.

duffman
12-05-2011, 08:42 AM
I love the merino wool base layer. I started with icebreakers, but the stuff I have bought from them the last couple years has not held up. Smart wool has both an advocacy and sustainability page, so they are automatically off the list.....

I ordered some stuff from this place, anyone using it?

http://www.justincharles.com/thermalwear.aspx

Jammmin
12-05-2011, 05:32 PM
nothing works better than the self-grown/free base layer...

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/bannockrider/hairy-back.jpg

How do you keep your shoulder blades warm?
-
Do you shave that on purpose?

WTF

sdsnocop
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
I ride 5 days a week for a living and found UA cold gear compression fit to be warm, dry and very durable. I have had the same set for 4 years and are still holding up well. I Wear the top every day and the bottoms on days under 20 degrees.

cat rider
12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I use ua compression cold gear as well. My favorite is using the compression stuff with ua sweats under my Klim Valdez jacket and Tog bibs. Works awesome!