• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 Stroke Oil Test Report

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Any news about Torco oil? Seems like companies like Dennis Kirk and WPS sell it.

Back in 'the day' Torco was the shizzle. Too bad it was not on the list.

How about Phillips Injex? Man, the marketing when it came out was relentless.

Always like Klotz R50 but was expensive. Sooooo, I just ordered up some Legend.... give is a whirl....

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
its posted on the internetz therefore i believe it!

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
i've been running the mystik the last 2 seasons, on my bottles it says full synthetic on the chart it says 70/30? btw if your tired of spending $40 plus a gallon this stuff works great!!!

MURFDOG

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2008
Ran the Legend sr oil last year, great stuff. Got a couple more cases for this season.

C
Nov 26, 2007
I see the shell is listed as a low ash oil. I'm sure it is. I believe all fc and fd rated oils are low ash. Most tc oil is as well. the tcw3 (a marine rating) oil is ashless. It used to be all 2 cycle oils were ashless. With the advent of more powerfull engines per cc. they found the use of of the expensive metallic additives were needed to keep the motors together. That is the reason the oils are so danged expensive. The metalic additives produce ash when burned in the combustion process and the cheaper ones used in automotive oils would make deposits on the top of pistons, ports and spark plugs. That is why you can run oil through a 2 stroke motor and not foul plugs. I realize this is elementary stuff for the guys who have a few years in the sport. It looks like if you buy any manufactors recommended oil you get a quality oil.

Good post.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've run the Legent 2Sr for the last 1.5 seasons, the last season was under boost.

Tore the motor down this year and redid the top end, and the original pistons still looked pretty good for 2200 miles, 1200 of which was boosted. EV's hardley had so much as a booger on them too.

I just ordered another case of Legend yesterday, seems to me like it works as advertised.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
i've been running the mystik the last 2 seasons, on my bottles it says full synthetic on the chart it says 70/30? btw if your tired of spending $40 plus a gallon this stuff works great!!!

I'm going to start running mystic this year. It does say 100% syn. on the container but so does the cat syn. and I see they have the same amount listed. Difference is the mystic is rated for colder flow point and higher rpms. I just bought a bunch of it yesterday, on sale for $18 a gallon at farm fleet!

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I, and my buddy's, have been running the Sea and Snow semi synthetic for about 8 years now. I have over 12,000 miles on my last two sleds, 07 RMK 600, 05 Doo Renegade 600 SDI, and no issues at all due to oil. I see that it "failed" the test, LMAO. Whatever. I bought 4 gallons 3 months ago for $48 on sale.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Okay, I went through the whole post.... all 51 pages of it. Learned a few things and found it entertaining just like any oil thread can be.

Page 36 is kind of "summation" of sorts... for those that cannot sit still long enough to read through 51 pages on a oil thread.

The R.P.M. Unit (machine) was built with a stainless steel piston that run's up to 16,000 r.p.m's, I add E-10 gas into the port hole and add the oil to a 50-1 mix and run it untill the database software on the computer tell's me at what r.p.m. the oil break's down, It also tell's me the viscosity under load presure, was there any foam under heat and how much carbon build up under heat. The unit gets to a 116 fahrenheit. I have noticed that with ethanol the carbon build up is very low with all oils, because ethanol is a strong solvent, cleanser, and drying agent. A good synthetic when using E-10 gas is a must, now with Non-ethanol gas the oils will read about 100 to 150 RPM's higher.

Update: received some royal purple snow 2-c today, went to the lab, First i looked at the oil in my microscope and noticed some thing differnt from the other oil's, The base oil is all synthetic, But some th ing did not look right so i checked out the royal purple web site to look at the msds and there it was, Iso paraffinic diluent's what is it, Isoparaffinic are branched aliphatic hydrocarbon's and depending on the carbon length range it could be used as a solvent, When diluted it act's like a detergant but is better idea then a strong detergant's, I think this oil would keep valve cleaning down, Any way r.p.m. before break down 12,075, This is a very good oil, As the oil's come in i will post them. -42F pour point.

Tested, injex pro 2- cycle, The base stock is mineral oil the other is synthetic oil, this oil contains a large amount of detergent's and ash, To me this oil would be good for air cooled engine's that get hotter then liquid cooled engine's, Air cooled engine's need detergent's to keep carbon build up down. Maximum R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strength 8,875, With a large amount of foam and heat under high r.p.m, This oil failed my test.

Tested, Mystic jt-4 synthetic, R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strength 13,600, This oil was the best in cold pour point so far with a - 56 f, This oil is excellent and passed my test.

TESTED, Red Line two-stroke snowmobile oil, This oil has 80% base stock's of very small molecules, It has very low ash, Very good film strength, And a pour point of -42f, Maximum r.p.m. before break down was 11,443, This oil passed my test.

TESTED, Polaris racing synthetic oil, this oil had 85% base stock's of very small molecules and a very high film strengh, first let's compare this to ves gold plus, the racing oil has .9% higher visosity then the ves gold plus, But the ves has more corrosion inhibitors then the racing oil, polaris racing synthetic maximum r.p.m. before break down was 12,920, This oil passed my test. with a pour point of -40f. So far the best bang for the buck is the mystic jt-4 synthetic, A friend of mine gave me some Legend zx-2r to test next. Any members use this oil.

TESTED: Amsoil Dominator, pour point -50, This oil has excellent synthetic base stock at 75%, and 25% high processed oil's, but it has alot of detergent's in the formula, R.P.M. before break down of the viscosity and film strength was 12,002, This oil passed my test.

TESTED: Legend ZX-2SR: First off under the microscope this oil is not a synthetic oil, but an ultra pure highly refined mineral oil, the molecules are very small, the pour point was -54f. R.P.M. before brake down of the oil viscosity and film strength is unknown. My test unit only goes to 16,000 R.P.M. and the oil never broke down. This oil is going to be my new oil in my new rush switchback 800, and yes i checked the oil three times in my machines this oil is the best i have tested. I have to thank my friend jeff for giving me this oil to test.

TESTED: Polaris synthetic blend (blue) oil, This oil is70% mineral oil with 30% synthetic in the mix, The molecules are not very uniform, Maximum R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strengh was 8,988, This oil failed my test, And i have been using this oil to break in my new polaris snowmobile's over the year's, But what i dont understand is on the label it say's for non-ves?, pour point was-38f.

TESTED: Spectro syn-snow, this oil is 100% synthetic with very small and uniform moecules, there is a detergent in this oil, maximum R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strength was 13,778, this oil passed my test. pour point was -55f.

TESTED: Legend ZX-2R, This oil is almost the the same as zx-2sr, this is not a synthetic but a highly refined mineral, the molecules are small, But not as small as the zx-2sr, Maximum R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strength was 13,675, pour point was -48f. This oil passed my test.

TESTED: Yamalube 2s two stroke oil , This oil has a mineral base with synthetic added to the mix 60% mineral, 40% synthetic, Maximum R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strength was 9,998, Even though the r.p.m. were not that impressive, I am going to pass this oil, Becuse of it's rust protection, and it is a very clean burning oil, pour point was tested at -33f

tested: klotz r-50 Techniplate, This oil is all synthetic, and has very small molecules, And it is a thick oil, Maximum R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strength was 15,579, even though the oil broke down, my test unit stayed at 116f, wierd, this is the first time my unit did this, pour point tested at -14f, this oil passed my test.

TESTED: Shell ADVANCE SNOW ALTRA ,This oil is all synthetic, The molecules are very small and uniform with low ash, This oil is a API-TC, JASO-FC, Maximum R.P.M. before break down of the oil viscosity and film strength was 11,902, this oil passed my test, A note about ash, what is it? it is calcium phenate or magnesium phenate, these compounds are detergent's. Some oil's contain more and some less, We want less ash to pass my test's.

TESTED: CASTOR OIL, Yes people out there are using it, Castor is a bean oil, it is a excellent lubricant, With a high R.P.M. of 13,992 before break down, But this oil is very dirty, with carbon build up, this oil failed my test.

Last edited:
M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Lynn, thanks for the post and the follow up synopsis!!

I've been using Legend Oil for years. It conforms to more standards than pretty much any other oil. Good to see a non-biased test confirm the quality!!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
So, is the RPM breakdown point the main indicator for quality of oil?

My sled runs at 8300rpm and I suppose it occaisionally gets to 8500, so does that mean that any oil with a breakdown point above 8500 will do just as well as the other oils?

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
anyone in washington a mystik dealer??

best bang for buck ???

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Last edited:
Premium Features