• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow Biking Boots

T

tfrick821

Nov 27, 2007
eastern ia
What boots are you guys wearing for snow biking? I have been wearing HMK boots for sleding, but I dont think there is any way I could shift with them considering how stiff and bulky they are.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Gortex, insulated, leather hiking boots

Most of us that ride in the Priest area have high end Danner gortex, insulated tall leather boots. So far (2 seasons) they have worked great. Shifting is no problem and good feel for the pegs.
The Klim Adrenaline boot works well but melts on the hot exhaust if it comes in contact.

Looking forward to reading what works for the other guys.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I've been using dirt bike boots, sizes about a full size too big, and just using an extra layer of heavy socks covered in a strong plastic bag.

I've found that you get so much snow into your boot, you really get soggy feet if your out all day, regardless of what boots I've tried.

On cold days I have a pair of snowboard boots that are warmer, and have a stiff enough sole to use, but they get torn up pretty bad on the sole if you use them too much, so I can't use them every time.

I'll be on the hunt for a leather gore-tex boot for this winter, something like a danner or a rocky.

Jon

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Take a look at the Motorfist Stopmper. It should work a lot better than snowmobile boots, snow board boots or motorcycle boots. Are your pants in the boot or over? Over def keeps the snow out with a tight gaiter sealing off the top of the boot.

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
I use the Klim Adrenalin boots. I have never had cold or whet feet and they have a long thin tow section for easy shifting and the bottom of the boot is plenty stiff to support your foot on the peg. The only problem I have ever had is I have ripped the side of the boot where it comes in contact with the end of the foot peg when kick starting the bike. Need to make sure you have your tow on the kick starter before starting. You can expect to pay $200 USD for them.

Allen

T
Nov 13, 2008
Foot pegs

The best thing you can do is put extra wide foot pegs on that arnt to sharp ...the fast way pegs work real well

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Some of the moto boot makers have winter riding boots don't they? I don't like a low top boot I'm always hitting my shins on something. When I worked in the woods I used red wing high top caulk boots and loved them every body gave me a hard time but at the end of the day the lower part of my legs weren't beat up.

How are the Mountain horse kits holding up?
What bike is working the best with the kit?

Last edited:

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
We've got a rental fleet of Timbersleds just north of you in Mission, at Nixon Prosports. I'd highly recommend a trip up here for a day to ride them, and figure out which bike you like best.. The current rental fleet includes:

2012 KTM 500 XCW
2009 KTM 530 EXCr
2 x 2010 Yamaha YZ450F
2009 Yamaha YZ450F
2006 Yamaha WR450F

They all work good, and in reality it comes down to what brand you might be partial to. I've got mine on a 2012 KTM 500XCW, my hip is worn out and the Electric start, rearward air box with fuel injection sold me on the bike. The 200W of electrical output will be a bonus for running lights and heated accessories.

I've found that controlling your inner child is the hardest part about riding these things, and learning more about backcountry exploration is the key to having a safe and long season.

Jon

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
A ride

We've got a rental fleet of Timbersleds just north of you in Mission, at Nixon Prosports. I'd highly recommend a trip up here for a day to ride them, and figure out which bike you like best.. The current rental fleet includes:

2012 KTM 500 XCW
2009 KTM 530 EXCr
2 x 2010 Yamaha YZ450F
2009 Yamaha YZ450F
2006 Yamaha WR450F

They all work good, and in reality it comes down to what brand you might be partial to. I've got mine on a 2012 KTM 500XCW, my hip is worn out and the Electric start, rearward air box with fuel injection sold me on the bike. The 200W of electrical output will be a bonus for running lights and heated accessories.

I've found that controlling your inner child is the hardest part about riding these things, and learning more about backcountry exploration is the key to having a safe and long season.

Jon

Thanks for the response,, We'll see how the rest of the year goes, I do have my passport and have been looking for a chance to come north.. Haven't ridden in a long time and I also have hip issue but as one guy said about me your as tough as shiz like your dad so ,, I'm up fer it!!

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I've got a hip issue too, I'm just trying to get through this winter before I go under the knife for a replacement.. I'm worried that once I have a resurface/replacement done I'll be risking dislocation.. So I'm delaying seeing if I can break my current one first.

Premium Features