• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow bikes and Lights

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Hi Guys.
I wanted to share some of the conversations I have every year with snowmobilers.. Being a snow biker for the last 4 seasons I can tell you this really affects us more than the sleds..
Often mod sled owners will pull their lights off to save a bunch of weight from the stock hood. Thats great.. but many forget about what can happen on the mountain..
Every year I talk to guys who get caught without sufficient light for whatever reason, a break down, a few stucks, or getting lost and ending up in the dark with no lights.. They are talking to me to late, and they wont let that happen again. They either got lucky and got off the hill safely or spent the night on the mountain..
Don't let yourself get caught like this. Our MX bikes are sometimes difficult to get decent lights on, I see guys riding all the time with no worries.. It a matter of time before they get caught by one of the above mentioned issues, It has happened to myself more than once, Thankfully I always carry a helmet light in my pack..Spending the night on a mountain can be a life and death situation.
There are great options from Cyclops with battery or bike powered helmet lights to bike and/or battery powered headlights. There are also good products from other American companies. Off course we hope you will give us a strong consideration, but please do look after yourselves and take the precautions you should.
Besides that, Night riding in the snow Is an absolute Blast!!
I would also like to encourage everyone to take an AVY course. A day spent in a good course can save your butt.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Hi Guys.
I wanted to share some of the conversations I have every year with snowmobilers.. Being a snow biker for the last 4 seasons I can tell you this really affects us more than the sleds..
Often mod sled owners will pull their lights off to save a bunch of weight from the stock hood. Thats great.. but many forget about what can happen on the mountain..
Every year I talk to guys who get caught without sufficient light for whatever reason, a break down, a few stucks, or getting lost and ending up in the dark with no lights.. They are talking to me to late, and they wont let that happen again. They either got lucky and got off the hill safely or spent the night on the mountain..
Don't let yourself get caught like this. Our MX bikes are sometimes difficult to get decent lights on, I see guys riding all the time with no worries.. It a matter of time before they get caught by one of the above mentioned issues, It has happened to myself more than once, Thankfully I always carry a helmet light in my pack..Spending the night on a mountain can be a life and death situation.
There are great options from Cyclops with battery or bike powered helmet lights to bike and/or battery powered headlights. There are also good products from other American companies. Off course we hope you will give us a strong consideration, but please do look after yourselves and take the precautions you should.
Besides that, Night riding in the snow Is an absolute Blast!!
I would also like to encourage everyone to take an AVY course. A day spent in a good course can save your butt.

can you post up some pics of you products that work best on snowbikes? ie the lights, mounting options, battery packs, power supplies, etc

Thanks

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Thanks for asking.
IMO a quality helmet light makes the most of any night time riding experience. They are available to run from the bike or sled as well as a stand alone battery powered system.
The biggest benefit from a helmet mounted light is that it allows you to
See Where You Look. Bike/sled mounted lights are only pointed where the front of the machine happens to be. They also bounce all around.
With a helmet mounted light you can ride very much like its daytime. Jump, climb hills, look for trail, boondock etc..,

Here is the brightest commercially available helmet light on the planet.

Bike/sled powered (requires 30 watts Dc)

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=121

Battery powered

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=1

An inexpensive option.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=96

Here are some great bike or sled mounted lights.. They can be run from the bike or they are available in a kit with a battery, charger and switch. These have won many 24hr races, only draw 10 watts and a single light puts out more usable light than any bike or sled factory light
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=82
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=84

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
NEW For 2012!!
I wanted to let you guys know that our ADVENTURE LED now has the Cree XML LED Emitter and a higher capacity battery.
This makes this inexpensive light the most versatile and brightest portable light on the market.
Not that the last version had any issues, but the Cree XML is the latest and greatest LED available..
Head straps also now available,,No helmet required also comes with a Handle Bar mount..
Be prepared, dont get stuck in the dark!!
For you guys who live in a state that requires headlights on a snowmobile/snowbike and use an MX bike for your kit. This is the easiest way to get a real light that actually works on your bike.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=96

Last edited:

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
something a bit different

Here is something that is a bit different.
We made a kit that has a switch mount and light. the light is available in a 3 up or 6 up led like shown here. The 3 LED version will run from a modern DB EFI system or from our stack pack batteries..
Let me know what you think...
DSC_0762.jpg

610personvsstock.jpg

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I like it alot! I'm currently using a Vision X block utility light and it's been great. This looks like a brighter version, and less likely to be hit on stuff.

Good work D!

Jon

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Thanks Jon.
The new LED emitters are incredible. Much easier to focus and get the distance that LEDs have lacked.. Its time for HIDs to take a back seat to the new tech..

Premium Features