• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do I need a beacon?

G

Gottheurge

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 25, 2011
Boise, ID
So, I'm about to begin my first season snowmobiling. I'm 31 and pretty much a total newbie. I live in Idaho and know that there are a gazillion places where there's avalanche risk. I'm not sure if I'll be riding them though. At this point, I know I will be using my sled on trails to get out and enjoy the scenery. I'm not much of a risk taker and have no real desire to skirt death on a regular basis. Is avy risk unavoidable? Is avoiding it no fun?

So, how necessary is it to have a beacon? And if so, I hear you have to have two of the same since not all of them are compatible.

If I do decide to get 1 or 2, a buddy can get me a deal on some $350 units from mammut for half price. I like deals but would my $$$ be better spent on a good gps?

Fire away, I'm ready to be educated.

Thanks!

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
I would say yes.....especially if you got someone who can get you a deal. I would suggest the BCA tracker 2 i did a lot of reading over the summer and it seems to be a great choice there are other great choices as well but the tracker 2 is by far the simplest to use and that counts who know how you will react when someone you know or love is buried.

Being in ID i for sure say yes since your around a lot of areas that can have avys, you never know you might get bored and want to try a little hill climbing. Also if you have buddies that like to ride in those areas and you just like to watch them do the stupid stuff id hate to not have a beacon...

Just my thoughts

www.avalanche1tv.com
http://www.avalanche1.com/
couple links that Mike Duffy gave me he is a avy class instructor and was a lot of help to me his user name is snowww1 am sure he would give you any more help you need!

G

Gottheurge

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 25, 2011
Boise, ID
Good video and thread to go with it. I will definitely be getting my butt into a backcountry safety class this season...along with an arsenal of safety gear and knowledge to use it. I have a feeling it's going to be tough sticking to the trails out here in gods country!

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com

Thanks!

I'd get educated about backcountry sledding FIRST and then you'll be able to answer your own question in about 0.05 seconds. A beacon isn't gonna help you when/if you get buried and your buddy is left there holding a beacon in his hand that he has no idea how to use...or vice versa. You need to learn how to avoid avalanche situations by learning how to know the snow, where to get the avy danger info, how to respond in an avy situation, will your buddies know how to respond if YOU are buried, etc. A beacon in hand does not necessarily mean you are protected and ready for the dangers of the backcountry, especially as a greenhorn sledder. Take an avalanche class, study up about snow conditions and mitigating avalanche terrain on the internet, watch "A dozen more turns" in the avalanche section on this site, visit backcountryaccess.com and call the guys at snowbigdeal.com .

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Absolutely. Your life is worth $300. Also, if you are ever in a situation where you are the rescuer without a beacon you will have no chance at a save. I would have a hard time living with that. I think Avy airbags are a must too. I don't want to be buried. I might get run over a cliff in an avalanche or mangled through the trees but getting buried and suffocated freaks me out a little.

Y

yam_apex91469

Jan 24, 2007
Byron, IL
GET A BEACON OR STAY HOME and make sure to practice using it with your buddies - a few hundred bucks in nothing if your dead. I would also take Mike Duffy's avalanche classes. Don't say "that would never happen to me"

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
So, I'm about to begin my first season snowmobiling. I'm 31 and pretty much a total newbie. I live in Idaho and know that there are a gazillion places where there's avalanche risk. I'm not sure if I'll be riding them though. At this point, I know I will be using my sled on trails to get out and enjoy the scenery. I'm not much of a risk taker and have no real desire to skirt death on a regular basis. Is avy risk unavoidable? Is avoiding it no fun?

So, how necessary is it to have a beacon? And if so, I hear you have to have two of the same since not all of them are compatible.

If I do decide to get 1 or 2, a buddy can get me a Ydeal on some $350 units from mammut for half price. I like deals but would my $$$ be better spent on a good gps?

Thanks!
Get a beacon and learn how to use it. A dear friend of mine died in an avy. He left his beacon in his truck that day. Who would have thought he would have died that day.
He was riding in an area that we rode in hundreds of times never thinking it would ever slid.
Ride safe. Tar.l

Y

yam_apex91469

Jan 24, 2007
Byron, IL
Get a beacon and learn how to use it. A dear friend of mine died in an avy. He left his beacon in his truck that day. Who would have thought he would have died that day.
He was riding in an area that we rode in hundreds of times never thinking it would ever slid.
Ride safe. Tar.l

So sorry for your loss. Be safe guys!

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK

If I do decide to get 1 or 2, a buddy can get me a deal on some $350 units from mammut for half price. I like deals but would my $$$ be better spent on a good gps?

Thanks!

Thank you for this post. You captured a common mental starting point amongst new sledders that I want to elaborate on.

You're 31. Sleds are expensive and many would be sledders can't afford to play until they're well established financially and that usually means late 20's thru 30's (I was 36)

You're 31. You've grown up some. If you're married with children you're probably approaching sledding from the POV of placing them first, thus the statement about trails and avoiding avy terrain. BUT, (and this is a huge but) you live in Idaho and pretty much all trails lead to the mountains which means avy terrain.

You're 31. Unless you're a total meatball, you're at the prime of your life physically, which means, if you have any athletic ability at all, your learning curve will be fairly short. And before you realize it you'll WANT to be riding the mountains. Assuming you're a regular, hardwired American male with two functioning testicles you will want to wring out every nth of challenge and exhilaration that your body and ability will let you.

You're 31. By your 32nd birthday you'll have figured out that if you stay in shape you'll be able to ride pretty hard well into your 50's or even 60's. And you'll want to.

Considering the chunk o' change you're about to drop on a sled and basic gear allow this middle aged, very average rider to offer you some advice...

-Get a mountain sled now since you're going to end up on one anyway
-Get geared up correctly--lots of solid information here on SW
-Get the avy gear--beacon, shovel, probe, take a class from an accredited source and really learn how to use this stuff
-Don't end your avy education at some gear and a class--Put your local avy forecast center's website in your "favorites" menu and check it every time you plan a ride. Read the avy reports--pay attention to things like slope angle and aspect, time of day, and time of year, hours after last storm and you'll notice trends. Read the books out there on avalanche awareness.
At a minimum read "Snow Sense" http://www.avalanche-center.org/store/books-snowsense.php
-Ride with guys who are serious about avy safety and developing their skills as riders
-Be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to try new techniques but master the basics of maneuvering a sled FIRST! For instance practice carving powder turns in a meadow or on a lake before commiting to a steep descent on a big slope (any idiot can go up a mountain on a modern sled). Practice sidehilling on gentle slopes before committing to a long pull on a big hill
-Study up on getting unstuck because we ALL get stuck eventually and as your skills improve your stucks will get worse and worse and worse
-Don't be afraid to ask questions

Last edited:
G

Gottheurge

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 25, 2011
Boise, ID
Thank you for this post. You captured a common mental starting point amongst new sledders that I want to elaborate on.

---Yup, asking questions can be embarrassing at times. Damn egos! But hey, I would like to eventually be someone who gets lots of invites out to new terrain due to being a guy that people trust in the backcountry.

You're 31. Sleds are expensive and many would be sledders can't afford to play until they're well established financially and that usually means late 20's thru 30's (I was 36)

---Very true. The sled is the cheap part, right!

You're 31. You've grown up some. If you're married with children you're probably approaching sledding from the POV of placing them first, thus the statement about trails and avoiding avy terrain. BUT, (and this is a huge but) you live in Idaho and pretty much all trails lead to the mountains which means avy terrain.

---...all trails lead to the mountains or start in them. Oh so tempting to play!

You're 31. Unless you're a total meatball, you're at the prime of your life physically, which means, if you have any athletic ability at all, your learning curve will be fairly short. And before you realize it you'll WANT to be riding the mountains. Assuming you're a regular, hardwired American male with two functioning testicles you will want to wring out every nth of challenge and exhilaration that your body and ability will let you.

---I'm a total puss actually, but there's nothing like a little peer pressure to make it to the top;)

You're 31. By your 32nd birthday you'll have figured out that if you stay in shape you'll be able to ride pretty hard well into your 50's or even 60's. And you'll want to.

---What else ya gonna do in the winter?

Considering the chunk o' change you're about to drop on a sled and basic gear allow this middle aged, very average rider to offer you some advice...

-Get a mountain sled now since you're going to end up on one anyway
---Got a nice M8 last spring, super stoked!
-Get geared up correctly--lots of solid information here on SW
---Working on it. Also been tweeking out on my sled, getting to know how she ticks.
-Get the avy gear--beacon, shovel, probe, take a class from an accredited source and really learn how to use this stuff
---Looking forward to an avy calss and hopefully find some other safety minded riders to rally with.
-Don't end your avy education at some gear and a class--Put your local avy forecast center's website in your "favorites" menu and check it every time you plan a ride. Read the avy reports--pay attention to things like slope angle and aspect, time of day, and time of year, hours after last storm and you'll notice trends. Read the books out there on avalanche awareness.
At a minimum read "Snow Sense" http://www.avalanche-center.org/store/books-snowsense.php
---just oredered the book. $5
-Ride with guys who are serious about avy safety and developing their skills as riders
---Can't wait!
-Be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to try new techniques but master the basics of maneuvering a sled FIRST! For instance practice carving powder turns in a meadow or on a lake before commiting to a steep descent on a big slope (any idiot can go up a mountain on a modern sled). Practice sidehilling on gentle slopes before committing to a long pull on a big hill
---Can't wait!
-Study up on getting unstuck because we ALL get stuck eventually and as your skills improve your stucks will get worse and worse and worse
---So true.
-Don't be afraid to ask questions
---Thanks, the sledder community is an awesome group of people! Already learned that one last spring during my first day out. Had a couple of strangers go out of their way to bail me out after I got in way over my head.

Back to the garage....:plane:

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
get a beacon its not for you as much as it is for your riding partners or when you come across another group that may be in an avy.......your beacon is for your buds their beacon is for you!!!!!sure would be sad to come back from a day of riding only to say "well i did not have a beacon so i could not search".............

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
There's a free avalanche class in your area. It's a good first step that will answer your question. Most riders underestimate the steepness of the slope they are on and don't realize they are in avalanche terrain. A 30 degree slope does not feel very steep on a current mountain sled.

BRP offers free snowmobile avalanche awareness classes this fall.
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

Avalanche classes specifically for snowmobilers

Classes are effective, proven and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most deadly mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability, survive the night out and increase your skills in the mountains.

UNITED STATES

Be sure to contact the host dealer to reserve your spot.

October 27 Moto Tech Boise, ID

Take the class with those you ride with.

Avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding, AVPRO. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association. Trained by BCA, Snowpulse, and Ortovox.
Course content:
-Introduction to avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports.
-Signs of instability/stability analysis.
-Equipment.
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Deploying avalanche airbag packs
-Effective hasty search techniques.
-Mistakes in rescue.
-Group Dynamics/heuristics.
-Slide show: Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps.
-Preparing for your trip.
-What to do if lost or injured.
-Stability tests.
-Scenarios.
Thank you Ski-Doo!
Avalanche1.com

Our goal is to reduce avalanche accidents among snowmobilers and to save lives.​
These classes make it easy to get avalanche education.​

Sixteen years avalanche education teaching experience.​

F
Apr 28, 2009
Turner,MT
Beacon Purchase!

Get a beacon! The life you save may not be yours but somebody else. Tracker 2 are what we wear but anything is better than nothing. After you see your first avy your tough man lips will hit your seat hard!:plane:

waycooljr

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2010
Sidney, MT
My beacon is like my debit card, I don't ride without it!! I do agree that the Tracker 2 is a really good beacon. That is what I have!!

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
Welcome to the fun, adventurous sport of sledding. Sledding is like going to war in a way. Don't go out unprepared. Get to an avalanche safety course (should be able to find one through the State parks and rec) and make sure you are prepared. Beacons are a great safety tool to have (hopefully you will not have to use one to save a life, yours or someone elses.), but non the less you should have one (and know how to use it), and also make sure anyone you ride with has them and they know how to use them. They are a bit spendy to buy, but worth every penny. Snowmobiling is like any other sport the initial start up costs are high, but they are all worth it. Remember Safety, Safety, Safety. A beacon is a great investment and well worth the money. Have fun and be safe.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
There's a free avalanche class in your area. It's a good first step that will answer your question. Most riders underestimate the steepness of the slope they are on and don't realize they are in avalanche terrain. A 30 degree slope does not feel very steep on a current mountain sled.

BRP offers free snowmobile avalanche awareness classes this fall.
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

Avalanche classes specifically for snowmobilers

Classes are effective, proven and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most deadly mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability, survive the night out and increase your skills in the mountains.

UNITED STATES

Be sure to contact the host dealer to reserve your spot.

October 27 Moto Tech Boise, ID

Take the class with those you ride with.

Avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding, AVPRO. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association. Trained by BCA, Snowpulse, and Ortovox.
Course content:
-Introduction to avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports.
-Signs of instability/stability analysis.
-Equipment.
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Deploying avalanche airbag packs
-Effective hasty search techniques.
-Mistakes in rescue.
-Group Dynamics/heuristics.
-Slide show: Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps.
-Preparing for your trip.
-What to do if lost or injured.
-Stability tests.
-Scenarios.
Thank you Ski-Doo!
Avalanche1.com

Our goal is to reduce avalanche accidents among snowmobilers and to save lives.
These classes make it easy to get avalanche education.​

Sixteen years avalanche education teaching experience.

I went to this last year and it is worth every penny I had to spend on the class. You cannot bet free!!! Mike does a great job. Wish it was longer, there is a lot of info thrown at you in 4-hours.

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
Gottheurge,

Congratulations to you for asking the questions before venturing out into the winter! The advice given here is good. I have been riding since I was a kid; now over 30 years later I can add another piece of advice to the list for ya. NEVER allow yourself to go out sledding alone, ever. It is not fun and it surely is not safe. Welcome to the sport, and please help others out whenever you can on the trail. Best of fun to you!

Premium Features