• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MOUNTAIN HORSE ALUMINUM SPROKETS

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
2012 Timbersled kits will have Steel sprockets. and you will be able to upgrade the older kits as well. Probably not till october tho

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
new sprocket / chain kit

We have a new sprocket and chain kit available at a discounted price. It will include 2 17-tooth steel sprockets, 1 20-tooth steel sprocket, 2 idler sprockets, 1 case chain, 1 engine chain, and 3 keyways. Priced separately the parts would be $455. The kit price is $365. They will be avialable in late October to early November.

Other part kits available as well here

posted by Dave @ Timbersled

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Dave,
The 2012 kits will have these sprockets and chains on them already correct?

Thanks,
Andrew

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Will the sprocket and chain package include higher quality chains aswell? The biggest problem with the kit was the cheap wps chain. I have never seen a chain stretch as much as the wps chains that came on the kits. I had to adjust the slack out of both chains after every ride and sometimes in the middle of a ride. The aluminum sprockets would have held up a lot better if the chain wasn't so cheap. The steel sprockets will be a nice upgrade but will still wear out fast with a cheap chain.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
new chains

We did not buy "cheap" chains for the kits. We bought what we felt was most appropriate for the kit based on testing and advice from suppliers. However, we decided this year to go with a higher durability EK chain to handle the load and stress of the snow bike.

poasted by Dave @ Timbersled

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
We did not buy "cheap" chains for the kits. We bought what we felt was most appropriate for the kit based on testing and advice from suppliers. However, we decided this year to go with a higher durability EK chain to handle the load and stress of the snow bike.

poasted by Dave @ Timbersled

Using cheap in my previous post was not an intended bash on Timbersled but as you have admitted the WPS chains were not high enough quality chains to hold up to the needs of the Mountain Horse kit which resulted in premature failure of the chains and sprockets. As an owner of a MH kit I am happy to see that Timbersled is addressing some of the issues with the kits. It also kind of sucks that this research and development wasn't done on Timbersleds dime instead of at the expense of everyone that bought a kit last year. Every kit that I know of from last year needs new chains and sprockets and to me 20% off retail isn't much of a help considering this is a
problem that Timbersled has recognized.

What would be nice is if Timbersled also recognized that current owners of these kits have all ready paid for inferior chains and sprockets, and that offering a greater discount than 20% for the properly designed components would be the right thing to do. I understand that as a company you can't be giving out free parts but I also know that you guys have more than 20% markup on your parts and that 50% off retail would be a little more inline with your actual cost.

Premium Features