• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are my options?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Want to get a set of radios for me to talk to my son while riding.

Want to have speakers inside the helmet, and be able to communicate quickly with my first year mountain, 12 year old sled riding son. I want to be able to correct actions on the fly and not have to go inside my jacket and get a radio out and then hail him in order to communicate.

In looking at the chatter box, you have the big transmitter on the side of your helmet.

Is there any other alternatives to this?

Are there other options I can look at??

T

threeamigoes

Jan 5, 2011
radios

i have been using the communicators , but the background noise of a loud sled keeps activating the radio as well as the range is ONLY 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile do not believe anyone else , if you can not see him chances are you wont be able to talk to him . I sold my communicators and now am using gmrs /frss radios for $30 each with a helmet speaker set and a push to talk button it is better than the chatterbox or collett communicators in my mind . Bob

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
We used the collet communicators with our kids, they worked great ..(nothing will work with loud sleds..)and it made the rides much, much better being able to talk while riding...

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
unfortunatley collett is out of business. we use them still, and love them, couldnt ride without them. and while you cant have full blow converstation on world politics... you can here, sharp right, sharp left, i gotta pee. sleds commin at ya, i am stuck, ect....

we are getting ready to try the cardo, scala riders for the sport bikes. if they work at sport bike speeds, they should work with the sleds.

but, as said above, dont beleive the hype on the distances. max distance is usually alittle more than line of sight, no matter what they say. usually alot less than a mile. and in rugged terrain, less.

they are worth their weight in gold. to know when your partners are out of sight, they are ok. helps to find people stuck in the trees, " look up to your right dummy"

i really think this would help in an avalanche situation. no more waving your arms, and the person thinking you are saying, how awesome they are... then they get hit with the wave of the avy. you could direct them go to your left, go to your right, you triggered a slide.

ski

G
Dec 16, 2007
Washington
I have used the communicators for many yrs, to talk to my son
It is a great way to talk to him a tell where to go and not And yes 1mile or so, maybe less, but what is nice is, telling him your following him up the hill.
They are old and the antena broke so I'm looking at the chatterbox now
What are the grm, for 30 bucks you are talking about

Anyone with experience with chatterbox

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Fire Fox had a set up at a snow show one year used with a standard walki talki ,had a throat mic and bud style ear piese

B
Nov 11, 2011
unfortunatley collett is out of business. we use them still, and love them, couldnt ride without them. and while you cant have full blow converstation on world politics... you can here, sharp right, sharp left, i gotta pee. sleds commin at ya, i am stuck, ect....

we are getting ready to try the cardo, scala riders for the sport bikes. if they work at sport bike speeds, they should work with the sleds.

but, as said above, dont beleive the hype on the distances. max distance is usually alittle more than line of sight, no matter what they say. usually alot less than a mile. and in rugged terrain, less.

they are worth their weight in gold. to know when your partners are out of sight, they are ok. helps to find people stuck in the trees, " look up to your right dummy"

i really think this would help in an avalanche situation. no more waving your arms, and the person thinking you are saying, how awesome they are... then they get hit with the wave of the avy. you could direct them go to your left, go to your right, you triggered a slide.

ski
HAPPY to inform you that Collette is back ---just ordered some head set parts yeserday and talked to them at 1 855222 3231 :face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features