• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The yamadoo is going yama-chromoly.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Well, after 3 seasons with my RT chassis and 2 with the yami motor and lots of hard riding the thing is WORN out. the chassis is on its last legs and the sled is a boat anchor. SO, inspired by my good friend josh and his massive success on the chromoly tube chassis sled he built last season, we are building a pair of new chassis' and combining all of the things we like about each brand of sled and trying to combine it into one "perfect" sled. I love my yami motor and how much power it makes and what kind of abuse it takes, so its staying. Im sure he will start a thread soon with his as well.

plans for my build are as follows.

full custom tube chassis.
-custom a-arm'd front with lightweight arms.
- 162 tunnel with custom u cooler.
- intergral chassis motor mounts.
rx1 motor on propane
new header allowing propane tank to be slid forward and thicker wall material less prone to cracking
redone turbo system w/ condensed intake tract
run my current clutches/ chaincase, etc.
aluminum forklift propane tank, this drops me 20# from my current one.

Got a good start on the tunnel so far. needs running boards and rear suspension bracket. then on to the front. I will try to get some pics up asap, just getting excited as this thing is gonna be WILD!:face-icon-small-con

Last edited:
T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
You always have something interesting going on. Can't wait to see pics.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the chassis is sitting for right now as im not done riding yet. had to redo a turbo kit on my dads sled and we converted the poo-doo to propane this last week... and to much vacation before that. once the weekend is over and the sleds are DONE for the year, then everything is getting stripped off to start working on chassis.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
soon duck, soon.

worked on it a little more a few days ago. finally made a bunch of desicions regarding the whole front of the sled so we can start building it. takes a LOT more time to design your own stuff then to just copy a stocker.

I will get pics once a little more of the nose is done and attached to the tunnel, right now it doest look like much unless its all held together in the right places and you know what goes where.

and i forgot i had put my rx1 motor up for sale a while ago and had some interest in it.... so who knows what could be powering it next season!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
got a bit of work done on the pair today. the front end on this thing is going to be ROCK solid. the nose is getting ready to join with the tunnel soon, so it will be worth taking pictures of as it still looks like a wild heap of metal.

very excited about the chassis design, it is going to be a wild creature.. its going to be 10x strong then the gen 1 tube chassis and should handle hits 100x better. much better a-arm design then revs.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Alright my man! You are on it again. Just gotta say I love your builds, some genuine innovation in those for sure.

Really cool to watch as the builds on here take form and being a bit of a backyard builder myself I especially like your projects.

Seems like you've learned a lot and still keep moving forward.

Have fun weldn' !

Rune

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
What are you doing now for the a-arms?

just have to wait and find out.

Have fun weldn' !
:face-icon-small-con Yeah, mine is all just tacked for now and im really not looking forward to the hours of finish welding all the joints.

Thanks for the kind words, I have to admit, the whole chassis is inspired and being pushed forward by my friend josh who really stepped it up last year and did his own tube chassis. Without his help I wouldn't even be attempting such a daunting task. Also, working as a team really helps keep the motivation up for working on it as its very easy to get bogged down trying to figure out what on earth your doing.

As for the learning, I have definately come a LONG way since the begining of this sled and my knowledge of sleds has grown immensely, although every day of working on it i feel like i learn something new.

Right now the motor is just resting in my old chassis waiting to for the new one to be ready to start working on motor mounts. I try to keep looking at the old one as much as possible to make sure everything comes together smoothly and all parts of the chassis are setup for ease of install/usage.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
oh man... its getting pretty exciting. the front end is coming together really nicely. the thing sorta is starting to look like something.. and that something is wild.

its sorta like a pro rmk crossed with a longhorn steer.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
nope... kinda holding out on them, sorry for you guys but there is SO much work i hate to put them up as then i always feel like im behind.

soon enough, trying to figure out some main chit to make it all come together nicely. there has been a LOT of time spent out in the shop and through the days trying to figure out the best way to deal with every single part of the sled. when you build chit from total scratch, it takes a lot of time to figure out how you want all the parts to come together, and right now were trying to design every single part so its structural, even panels, etc. hate to get almost done then have it look like a pile of crap because theres no way to cover it nicely.

and to follow up on the last part, i honestly cant think of a single rider forward chassis that we havent pulled ideas from for this thing.

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
nope... kinda holding out on them, sorry for you guys but there is SO much work i hate to put them up as then i always feel like im behind.

soon enough, trying to figure out some main chit to make it all come together nicely. there has been a LOT of time spent out in the shop and through the days trying to figure out the best way to deal with every single part of the sled. when you build chit from total scratch, it takes a lot of time to figure out how you want all the parts to come together, and right now were trying to design every single part so its structural, even panels, etc. hate to get almost done then have it look like a pile of crap because theres no way to cover it nicely.

and to follow up on the last part, i honestly cant think of a single rider forward chassis that we havent pulled ideas from for this thing.

I hate to say it but aren't you going to school for engineering? I would think you would have drawn it on in proE or solidworks by now. It would be a great thing for your portfolio when school is over. . . .

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I hate to say it but aren't you going to school for engineering? I would think you would have drawn it on in proE or solidworks by now. It would be a great thing for your portfolio when school is over. . . .
im pretty sure it would take longer to make one on here to make it in soidworks then build it in real life.. i have tried to work on parts of it, but i havent taken enough classes for it, so it takes forever to even make anything out of tubes.. trust me. me and my roomate last year spent a LOT of hours just working on the tunnel (simple) and had a horrible time working on it.

also, biggest issue we are finding is we arent exactly sure what we want, so being able to see it in person is 10x easier then trying to figure out what you want.

Premium Features