• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spokane sneak peek snow show

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
Well I just got back from the sneak peek show and I have to say that I was not to impressed with the new AC. The front bumper is weak. It won't take much of an impact to be headed towards the local parts store. The rear tail light looked like an after thought to me. Not refined, and cheap. Colors were OK IMO. I hate to say it but i am really thinking about checking a new Polaris. I don't like the fact that AC is not demmoing these sleds. It only means 1 thing in my mind. They are rushing these things into production. I just don't want to be a guinea pig again. The upper back A-arm mount looked weak to me as well. These are just my observations and I hope I am wrong about them. I have had 5 M series sleds and loved them all. I just think I am going to give it at least 1 more year before I jump back on the AC.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
We will wait for you at the top:face-icon-small-hap. Just kidding. Does it look like 2 guys could even get thier hands on that bumper? Looks tight.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Geeze some people never learn do they, all the sleds you see now are pre-production sleds they are hand made and are not a true replica of what a production sled will be! There will be things that are changed!

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
was in spokane too tonight with my AC buddy who was wanting to snowcheck a pretty new cat. After hearing the weights are CLIMBING, he's not very impressed. It's really hard to swallow no test ride program on these sleds. We are wondering if cat has built a specific chassis for the 4 stroke and will be phazing out the 2 stroke soon? Ski Doo wasn't at this show at all, but I think spokane has lost all but one doo dealer.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Geeze some people never learn do they, all the sleds you see now are pre-production sleds they are hand made and are not a true replica of what a production sled will be! There will be things that are changed!

Well that front bumper flexed like plastic. Doubt production will change it that much!

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I had heard about this "bumper issue"....

I went to the show in Lake Geneva and will be at the show in Minneapolis this wknd....I tested the bumper on all the m sleds and xf sleds....none moved one mm.....They were all rock solid...I picked up several sleds by the front bumper.

So.....I am not worried. You really think they are going to send a bumper that moves like plastic to production. EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET OVER NO DEMOS!!!! They most likely didn't have the production models ready. They should of but they didn't! If they were "rushing to production", they would have rushed it and had demos out....the only logical explanation is that they are waiting to get the final product fine tuned!

People read what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

Answer honestly, If you guys went to the show and it was the most refinded, quality sled ever, would you waltz into your dealer tomorrow and put your $500 down?

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
If I got to demo a 2012 before I put my money down, that would be the very first time I got to ride a sled I didn't already pay for. It is not a Chrysler.

Stocker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2004
Ankritz, AK
I went to the show in Lake Geneva and will be at the show in Minneapolis this wknd....I tested the bumper on all the m sleds and xf sleds....none moved one mm.....They were all rock solid...I picked up several sleds by the front bumper.

Glad to hear not all the show sleds had the weak bumper mounts. Ones I saw here in AK looked like they screwed the bumper on at the last minute in order to show the sled with a bumper (which I suspect is the case). It was mounted with little sheet metal screws attached through the sheet aluminum 'box' at the front of the chassis, and this was on the beefier sport bumper. You could freely move the bumper up and down a half inch or so. It was so weak looking there is no way I would ever expect that mounting configuration to make it to production. For what its worth the rep said it will be a beefy mounting set-up for production, but I can understand why it would cause concern.

I trust Cat would never put such a weak set-up into a production model and it certainly didn't stop me from snowchecking.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
In some pics. you might see some down tubes from the bumper.

I was told the turbo will have those.

Owen

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I went there last night to specifically see if a 3" paddle would fit on these sleds. It looks like it will with a simple driver change.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I was there yesterday and was thinking of ordering a Proclimb 1100 but am having reservations now. Looked at the 800 and more impressed with that and the fact that I may be able to fit a 1000 crate motor in there quite easily. Looks like lots of room and I still like my TM1000 better than a TM8. Just me though. Somebody needs to come up with a lightweight hood and air intake though. Lifted up the one sitting in front of the M8 and it weighs near as much as the hood off an M complete with air intake. First signifigant weight reduction for the 2 stroke ProClimb. After comparing with Polaris it really is going to be a tough choice what I buy for next year. JMO and btw if fit and finish isn't drastically improved from show models there will be lots of problems next year. Just an observation.

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
I get what you all are saying about "prototypes" " hand made" etc. But if a company is willing to put this kind/quality of "prototype" out in the public eye to be scrutinized and stood on, pulled on, bounced on, etc., what does that say about the direction of the company and what they are willing to let slide and be deemed acceptable upon final production? My experience in that department says to me it's not the direction I want to go at this point. And I have owned 8 M series sleds and built some for others. So I am disappointed about the general attitude and direction of what is happening at Cat :brick:
BB

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
I say you guys should wait, and see how they do next year and make sure its quality product. besides, that will make mine worth more at the end of next year when I go to upgrade. :)

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Would you rather them not have showed us anything? Now it all makes sence why cat and other companies are so reluctant to show us any pre productions sleds. Cause people will bitch bitch bitch. They could have waited. Im glad they didnt and am confident that it will be tough come production. If not, like any other sled out there we will seek aftermarket mods to make the sled just how we like it! Quit bitching!
Aksnopro

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
A 1000 will fit, they where testing them and about two months before the unveiling it was dropped. As for demo rides, I will throw a fit until I ride one, and get me some ice cream to dammit, now. :hurt: The ones put on show room floors should have been done right, would you go to look at a disassemble car that you wanted to buy, all the while they where telling you, don't worry you will like it but we are still not sure what we will be giving you. But its going to be good. Damn salesman anyway.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Last night in Spokane the proclimb chassis (that was chassis only) had a bumper on it that was broken you could move it with one hand. It looks to me like a guy needs to order the "sport bumper" it is mounted in 4 locations and looks a lot stronger than the "standard" loop with only 2 mounts. The AC people said they were all pre-production hand made prototypes. The only good news is we got to see the light bumper and become informed before everyone gets them and is dissapointed. Also, the factory AC rep I talked to said they will be within 1-2 pounds of a 2011.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
Last night in Spokane the proclimb chassis (that was chassis only) had a bumper on it that was broken you could move it with one hand. It looks to me like a guy needs to order the "sport bumper" it is mounted in 4 locations and looks a lot stronger than the "standard" loop with only 2 mounts. The AC people said they were all pre-production hand made prototypes. The only good news is we got to see the light bumper and become informed before everyone gets them and is dissapointed. Also, the factory AC rep I talked to said they will be within 1-2 pounds of a 2011.

So that must of been the 800...what did he say about the 1100t?

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Sorry, I didn't ask about the weight of the 1100T. He did say what they were projecting, but I wasn't paying enough attention to remember..... I was too interested in a new 800.

Premium Features