• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No tether cords on Mountain sleds? - What's up with that?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Ok, it has been 12 years since I bought a new sled, and my old 99'X scummie had a tether switch. Never wore it, but it had one. Frankly, for the last several years I was hoping that the sled throttle would get pinned down and take off into a tree so I could justify a new sled, but that did not happen cause I am too good of a rider for something so amateurish......LOL

Fast forward to the 2012 Cats. It appears to me that both the four stroke and two stroke mountain sleds do not come with a tether switch (Maybe every model for that matter, I was just too lazy to check). It is listed under the Optional equipment section of the specs.

Do we care?
Maybe Cat has not had this for a long time now and I never noticed (Not being a Cat guy)?
Is there some sort of new technology on these things that has this feature obsolete or something?

Last edited:
S
Cat only started putting tethers recently starting with the HCR in 2010. The 2011 HCR's have only the tether, no key.

I agree, should be standard on these things across the board. At the same time, they're really easy to add as well... it's just "one of those things..."

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
$36.00 for a tether. Hopefully free to install. I would think Cat would want these on there machines to protect the engines (four stroke) from running upside down.

P

papdog7

Dec 13, 2009
Watrous, SK
Cat only started putting tethers recently starting with the HCR in 2010. The 2011 HCR's have only the tether, no key...."

2010 didnt come with them the 2011 hcr is the first teather sled i think but yea i think all M's or shall i say Proclimb M's should come with them from factory. because the people i ordered mine from ordered me the wrong one twice

Premium Features