• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding ski pressure

N
Jan 2, 2008
Walla Walla, WA
I did the Burandt shock kit in the back of my '08 M8 153. I really like the way the sled rides now, so don't really want to mess with the air shock. But, the skis feel overly light now. Will reducing the preload of the front skid shock increase or decrease ski pressure? I only ave 6-7 threads showing currently. Thanks

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
in my opinion dont touch the strap. The best way to explain ski pressure for me is. the center zero pro shock is the pivot point. Like the middle of a teeter totter. so if you have that at lets say 5 threads showing straps all the way out. If you lower the pressure in the rear float, it will tip back making less ski pressure. IF you add pressure to the rear float it will tip forward making more pressure.

I have the burandt revalve also, so if your at 125psi for example, go to 135 psi and put a little more in the front shocks too.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
The rear suspension can control weight transfer, and also effect ski pressure. However, if you just want ski pressure why not adjust the shock or spring that is on the ski? If you just want more ski pressure, and your rear and weight transfer is ok then tighten the ski shock spring or add some air to the float.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Go ahead and adjust the front skid shock

I did the Burandt shock kit in the back of my '08 M8 153. I really like the way the sled rides now, so don't really want to mess with the air shock. But, the skis feel overly light now. Will reducing the preload of the front skid shock increase or decrease ski pressure? I only ave 6-7 threads showing currently. Thanks

With 6 or 7 threads left on the front skid shock you can back the adjuster down say two complete threads at a time until you get the ski pressure that you want. That is if you are happy with the pressures in the air floats. When you get low on the thread adjustment make sure that you lift the rear suspension off of the ground and make sure the spring tension is not so loose that the shock spring retainer ring does not come off. Good luck.

S
Mar 17, 2009
ski pressure

i dont get the theory of adding air in a rear shock to gain ski pressure...
this sounds to me like all your going to do is lose dampening

your limiters have holes for a reason.asjustability..to set the angle of your suspension to your liking without losing dampening on your front or rear shocks to maintain ski pressure.sure the weight on each shock will change after you adjust the suspension but then you can fine tune the shocks..plus, with large cap head bolts and wing nuts, you can adjust the ski pressure in seconds without any tools. most of the guys i ride with on t apexs,hcrs,xps all run more ski pressure than i do so whatever you do to your suspension..make it as adjustable as you can...

Last edited:
J

jdm1985

May 13, 2009
Ambrose ND
i dont get the theory of adding air in a rear shock to gain ski pressure...
this sounds to me like all your going to do is lose dampening

your limiters have holes for a reason.asjustability..to set the angle of your suspension to your liking without losing dampening on your front or rear shocks to maintain ski pressure.sure the weight on each shock will change after you adjust the suspension but then you can fine tune the shocks..plus, with large cap head bolts and wing nuts, you can adjust the ski pressure in seconds without any tools. most of the guys i ride with on t apexs,hcrs,xps all run more ski pressure than i do so whatever you do to your suspension..make it as adjustable as you can...

Its as simple as when you add pressure to the rear float it doesnt allow weight to transfer back, therefore keeping more pressure on the skis. that is how i understand it anyway. i do agree with the limiters also but that is a little more work than just adding or taking pressure out of the float. jmo

S
Mar 17, 2009
lol

lol that summed it up...jdms right too

i love those plastic headed bolts for the limiters and a wing nut...the bolts look like something you would see on the bottom of an office chair..easy to take off even with gloves on..but you need to leave them a little long so they go in easier....need to add a few more holes to the limiters for more adjustment as well but its really quick this way...

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
More air in the rear gives you more ski pressure under power and off the power a little.

Less preload on front skid shock give more ski pressure off throttle and going downhill (walking a sidehill is harder with more ski pressure)

Tighter limiter is more ski pressure under power and a little off throttle depending how tight you go. If there is slack in the limiter on flat ground it doesn't affect off throttle. If it tight on flat ground it will give more ski pressure off throttle.

Premium Features