• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled or Nytro sled?

L
Feb 15, 2011
I want to get into mountain riding in my area, Squamish BC. Big mountains and deep powder. My options are a Mountain Horse conversion for my Husaberg 390 ($5000) or a new Nytro MTX ($10,000). I know lots of people say they have more fun on the snobikes and other say the snowbike are not really good in the deep powder that we get in the Coast mountains.
The snow bike is cheaper and takes less room in the gargage and is easier to justify to my wife. The Nytro may be more versatile in that i could ride with existing friends, snowmobile ski (towing each other uphill so we can powder ski), and take the kids into the backcountry.
Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
you would be much better off buying a 07 600 or 700 polaris rmk. You can pick them up for arond $3000-$6000 and they will work way better in the snow and be alot mroe fun. Onlything the yamaha has going for it is reliability.... And by that i mean you can rely on it geting your *** stuck all the time.

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
I'd go with the Mountain Horse. It will easily satisfy your downhill ski urges, as it gives literally the same feeling on a steep downhill powder run as you get from skis, but then you can turn back around and go figure 8 your track.
And you can write your name on the sidehill- as my buddy Gerald did when we were up in Pemberton...

The Nytro's a great sled but it won't go where your Berg will take you. I've ridden a lot in BC- awesome riding. I'd go with the bike-
Snowbikes are harder on marriages though, so don't kid yourself-

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
you would be much better off buying a 07 600 or 700 polaris rmk. You can pick them up for arond $3000-$6000 and they will work way better in the snow and be alot mroe fun. Onlything the yamaha has going for it is reliability.... And by that i mean you can rely on it geting your *** stuck all the time.

From Wyoming T/A's Evolution of Sled Weights Post-
07 700 155 dragon-584# wet with a skid plate (From my research-140hp)

From American Snowmobiler Magazine-
2010 nytro 153- 601# wet (From my research-139hp)

I'll take 15lbs and the unmatched reliability of the yamaha. Plus not having to put oil in it after every ride.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
From Wyoming T/A's Evolution of Sled Weights Post-
07 700 155 dragon-584# wet with a skid plate (From my research-140hp)

From American Snowmobiler Magazine-
2010 nytro 153- 601# wet (From my research-139hp)

I'll take 15lbs and the unmatched reliability of the yamaha. Plus not having to put oil in it after every ride.

i am 230 pounds. kinda a fat ***. you probubly are less. I WILL ride circles around you all day if you wanna come riding. My friend has 3 07 600's, a 07 700, and a 05 900. I have a 11 asault. Pick a sled and i WILL kick your *** in every aspect. Not braging but i spend almost 3 days a week in hte mountains riding and yamaha sleds don't work in hte mountains unless they have a hair dryer straped on. Snow bikes are cool but you won't be boondocking wiht your buds.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
i am 230 pounds. kinda a fat ***. you probubly are less. I WILL ride circles around you all day if you wanna come riding. My friend has 3 07 600's, a 07 700, and a 05 900. I have a 11 asault. Pick a sled and i WILL kick your *** in every aspect. Not braging but i spend almost 3 days a week in hte mountains riding and yamaha sleds don't work in hte mountains unless they have a hair dryer straped on. Snow bikes are cool but you won't be boondocking wiht your buds.

Are you calling me out over posting FACTUAL information?!? Then trying to attack my riding skill because of it? But wait...youve never ridden with me!
I weigh more then you, but I swim 2 miles every day and do heavy lifting for an hour EVERY week day. I can lift my nytro out of a hole by myself and ride EVERY day if my school schedule permits. I ride 3 days a week MINIMUM. If your "kinda a fat ***" then I respectfully 100% disagree that you will ride circles around me. I would bet in the opposite direction...

If you think your a better rider then me because I ride a yamaha, then you need to open your eyes and realize there are a LOT better riders out there then you regardless of what brand they ride. Rides don't make riders, riders make the rides.
You can keep trying to measure your d*** on here, Ill just keep trying to help people.

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
lol my point was that yamahas don't work in the mountains. I don't care how good of a rider you are. Part of riding in the mountains is being able to ride, and just trying to keep up on a yamaha you will be working much harder than a normal person. Just because the weights are somewhat close and the hp is almost the same does'nt meen it will keep up. The new pro's supposedly make 145 ish hp and they seem tobe capturing the market against sleds weighin only a few pounds more but with 20 more hp. You can throw chris berandt on a v max 4 and all of the sudden he won't be such an impresive rider. Yamahas are great sleds. But they don't make a good mountain sled.

Just becasue it looks good on paper doesn't mean it works in the mountains.

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
I WILL ride circles around you all day if you wanna come riding. Pick a sled and i WILL kick your *** in every aspect.lol...ok

Not braging but i spend almost 3 days a week in hte mountains riding and yamaha sleds don't work in hte mountains unless they have a hair dryer straped on.
judging by your spelling you should spend 3 days hittin the books

Snow bikes are cool but you won't be boondocking wiht your buds. have you even ridden a snow bike? have you ridden a yamaha?

lol my point was that yamahas don't work in the mountains. ya, heard ya the first time...

You can throw chris berandt on a v max 4 and all of the sudden he won't be such an impresive rider. Yamahas are great sleds. But they don't make a good mountain sled.
and last but not least Chris Burandt would own just about anyone on any sled he was riding

Just becasue it looks good on paper doesn't mean it works in the mountains.

why do you care what other people ride since your such a bada$$?

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
why do you care what other people ride since your such a bada$$?

Ok grammar/spelling police, I will take the time to make sure I spell things correctly…

I don't care what other people ride and I don’t give a **** if you want to be buds or not, i have put more miles on my sled in the last 2 months than you have posts.Would you trade the pro in your aviator for a yamaha? The OP wanted to know what other people thought. Meaning... he wanted opinions. I am not saying i am some bad *** rider and no one can keep up with me as i get my *** handed to me from time to time (which i enjoy). I love riding with people who are better than me. My point was that if I and the yamaha lover were both about equally skilled riders, there is no way he could keep up in the steep'n deep thickly wooded areas that i like to ride in. Just today i was having a hard time getting in and out of some densely forested ravines on my pro. There is simply no way he could out ride someone on a well maintained 07-12 600 or 700 polairs on his Yamaha if both riders are of the same skill. They just don't make good out of the box mountain sleds which is what the OP wants.

Chris burandt is just like any other professional motorsports racer or team. Without good equipment, he doesn't do good. Would Jimmey Johnson have won 5 championships in a row without hendrick? NO! He wins the championship because he is consistent, and his car is consistently good. If he was on another team he would still be winning races, but no 5 seasons in a row. Do you think there is a reason you don't see any of the pros riding yamahas in the mountains? The only time they do is when turbos have been installed. That is because they have to have the best possible equipment to take advantage of the time they have to ride.

Riding is more than hp, weight, and what “could” on paper keep up. It doesn’t matter if it weighs 200 pounds and has 600 hp with quad turbos and a 123124” track. If you can’t ride it in the mountains, it isn’t a good sled. I am talking powder turns, in and out of trees, small hill climbs, downhill turns, side hills, maybe a few cliff drops… what sled would you pick? 09 700 rmk or 09 yamaha.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
the OP was asking if a snow bike or a nytro would be better for getting him to/from the mountains for skiing and hanging with his friends and kids. unfortunately you have turned this into a "yamaha sucks" thread. obviously you have no clue either way, you just want to talk about yourself(over and over and over). i feel i have done a pretty good job censoring myself as far as commenting on your "opinions". you may be the best rider or just the biggest mouth on the hill, i don't care, but so far you have contributed nothing to this thread since your first post in it. :face-icon-small-dis

i didn't intend to ruffle your feathers but you haven't left much room for anything else.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
lol ... if we didn't have the internet what would we do?

sit here in silence thinkin of creative ways to finish myself off while you tell everyone how you will destroy them any time on any sled.

once again, have you ridden a timbersled bike kit or a late model yamaha?:wave:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
you totaly missed the point. maybe i didn't make it clear enough. who knows.

your point was yamaha sucks and you are amazing, ya we got it.

sorry to the OP for ruining your thread, you really should try a timbersled snowbike, they are so much fun i cant even start to explain why

havent gotten enough seat time on a nytro to say anything about them either way, even tho i think they are good machines

Premium Features