• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Horse Replacement Chains

A
Dec 5, 2008
Who has already gone through a set of chains? I need to order a new set ASAP. I have yet to count the links on either the drive or the chain case, or research chain manufacturers. Hit me up, Im trying to RIDE!!!
Thanks
Erik

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
You'll want to get BETTER chains that what came with the kit. The ones supplied are TYC branded, that stands for Terribly Yucky Chain.

You'll want to get 110 link DID VM chain, and probably a new set of sprockets. The stock sprockets are aluminum, and after taking on the wear of the old chain, they are honestly scrap.

You have to be prepared to cut your chain, and likely you will have to buy a new clip style master link as most new chains come with a rivet style now making them less failure prone.

Jon

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
4th chain for me 3rd set of sprockets

My fourth chain is a RK 520Xring 140 link. The 140 links gives you enough chain to replace both drive and chain case chains. Most of the sprocket problems are because of bad stock chains. WPS (vendor) supplied Timber Sled with an inferior product and it has caused many sprocket problems.
I now am packing my chain case with grease instead of chain lube. Messy but effective.

Premium Features