• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Questions about the new ProClimb?

Question #1: Wasn't AC supposed to improve their 800 2-Stroke motor for the 2012 model year?

It looks to me like the 800 motor has had no changes or updates. Now, I'm assuming that they have managed to 'skate' around the new EPA requirements with the release of their new 4-Strokes. The way I understand it, ALL of the motors produced by a manufacturer are considered or tested as a whole group and the emissions from that group must be below a certain level for each polutant. I for one, thought that AC would redesign or at least improve the power of their 800. From what I can tell, it's the same as last year. Still a good motor, just not improved.

The new chasis looks (at least on the internet) like it has had a lot of engineering and testing behind it. And my guess (I haven't ridden one, no demo rides) is that it works, and works WELL. It doesn't make any sense for AC to put out a new product that doesn't work well considering the new PolarisPro and Etec already on the market. But all this brings up a second question.

Question #2: For those of us brave enough to spend $12,000 on a first year model of a newly designed sled (with no demo ride), are we going to get screwed in model year 2013 or 2014 when AC finally comes out with a new high-tech 2-Stroke? In other words, are we getting the whole package in 2012? Or is AC stringing us a long with the new chasis in 2012 and THEN they relase the new and improved motor a year or two later to get us to buy another new (and probably even more expensive) sled?

AC is dumping Suzuki, so I anticipate them coming out with a new (and improved) motor soon. If I'm gonna buy a new sled, I want it to be the best sled on the snow for more than one model year. I, for one, am concerned that AC is holding back a new 2-Stroke motor in order to get us to buy ANOTHER new sled in a year or two. I understand that's how the game is played by manufacturers to get us consumers to buy new sleds. But I think I might wait it out and see if AC offers the COMPLETE package (new chasis AND new motor) in another year or two.

Not to mention, from what I hear, AC is not even offering Demo Rides to regualr folk like us. I'd have a hard time forking over $12,000 for something I'm not allowed to test ride first. Heck, even Polaris gave Demo Rides on the Pro last spring!

Just my $.02...:face-icon-small-hap

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
1) whether the motor meets the current emission requirements means almost nothing to most snowmobilers. I'll pour in extra oil with the added benefit of performance and reliability. The 800 cat motor performs and is reliable.

2) Would you really want a new motor AND a new chassis all in one shot?. The new motor will come but they need to let the chassis prove itself first. Also, why dump a motor that is only on it's 3rd year since a fairly significant redesign? I'd try and spread out my design & re-tooling costs over a few more years

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Realistically, there will ALWAYS be incremental changes & improvements from year to year. The "new" motor may be similar to what we got with cummins a couple years back... just more headaches.

There's no guarantee that newer will be better, I'd rather have the new chassis with what we KNOW is the most reliable 800 on the market. At least then, if it needs something I know it'll just be the chassis, not the whole thing.

Premium Features