• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmet Camera Help!

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I have been watching some video and am starting to like watching others ride. I am interested in getting a helmet camera myself, I have read pretty much every post on here and some other reviews. There are two main ones, GoPro and Contour, and another one, Drift Innovation that I found but dont know much about. Sounds to me like those with the GoPro like the video quality and its durability (toughness). And from what I have read about the Contour its easier to use, customer service is great and it has a few more settings to mess with. People with either camera seem to be happy with the one that they got. What I am want to know more about is mounting and shooting and recording in different conditions. I would think for me the goggle mount or helmet mount would be best (top or side of helmet). When mounting I would like to be able to not be able to see my helmet, I think the video looks better when you can only see your sled and the snow :face-icon-small-hap. I am just looking for a camera that is pretty easy to use and I can get some good footage in dark and light conditions. Any comments or suggestions would help thanks!

W

wyodoo

Dec 1, 2007
gillette wyoming
Camera

I ordered the Drift 170. Not the HD but the 720. I thought I would try this as it was on sale cheap at Amazon. $139.00 With all the attachments, Extra Batteries and charger. It has a wider angle of view and a remote on off button. I have only tried it around the house so far though. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Last edited:

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I ordered the Drift 170. Not the HD but the 720I. I thought I would try this as it was on sale cheap at Amazon. $139.00 With all the attachments, Extra Batteries and charger. It has a wider angle of view and a remote on off button. I have only tried it around the house so far though. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

When you get up to use it let me know how the video turns out. How long do the batteries last? Video storage time? Do you ride up in the horns much?

M
Dec 12, 2010
Marysville, Wa
More than likely you'll wish you wouldn't have gone with the WIDE version, especially for sledding. The quality is good on all of these mentioned camera's however when you go with the WIDE it effects the distance. You can only view what is directly in front of you for about 20', after that it's poor due to the WIDE lense. It will still look fun, but for shots further than right in front of you it will be limited.

Just an opinion...

C

cowboymann02

Jan 3, 2008
south sioux city,ne
i use the contour camera and have it mounted on my helmet visor so that the front of the camera is flush with the edge of the visor. i also have different mounting base on the sled hood and rear tunnel, so i can remove the camera at any time and mount it somewhere else for a different view.
just what we use in our group.
if you pm me your cell number i can take pictures of themounting and send you a pic of it so you can see it.

thanks mike

W

wyodoo

Dec 1, 2007
gillette wyoming
When you get up to use it let me know how the video turns out. How long do the batteries last? Video storage time? Do you ride up in the horns much?

The batteries are suposed to last about 4 hours. Storage is up to 16GB SD card. That should be quite a bit per card. I ride the Horns all the time. Have been riding the North end lately but the lodges are opened in the South this year so will probablly split time. Going to Deere Haven next weekend 9th and 10th. Rented a cabin.

F

Flattracker

Nov 30, 2010
Michigan
www.medallionis.com
Camera alternative

Camera alternative

Check out V.I.O. camera's, they are more expensive but these guys invented POV (point of view) extreme video capture and build the most rugged camera on the market. I have several units of the pre - HD version but will have one within the next couple of weeks. We use these in ski & wake boarding world (factory install on Malibu, MasterCraft, Tige' etc...) as well as PowerSports (ATV, Snowmobiling & Motorcycling)

HTML:
http://www.vio-pov.com/

Premium Features