• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help...I can't get my gps to load maps

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
We just bought three garmins, a dakota 20 and two oregon 450's I know that my computer skills are very poor but the other guys are pretty good and none of use can get maps to load. We have loaded maps on chips and put them in, tried to load them directly in and nothing. I had garmins U.S. top on the computer and it would only let me try to load a small quardrant. I loaded a 40' top for the norther Horns and that took off the garmin topo in the listings and it does not appear on the screen. In other words I have made no headway and have no clue of what we are doing wrong. I was on gpsfiledepot.com and read alot of directions but nothing seems to work. I did read something about maps being locked but no explanation of how to unlock them. Help!

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
GARMIN MAPS

Are you using Garmin Maps.
THey use proprietary maps. You can only loads maps from Garmin's Mapsource(not sure if thats their name at the moment) maps.

Anything else will not load into the background on Garmin GPSs

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I see guys talking about make up maps with trails overlaid on a topo and using them in their garmins. The topo I got with the packages sucks and is basicly worthless. 100' contours and no roads or trails, it is the poorest topo I've ever seen.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
  • Create a folder called GARMIN on the SD Card

• Then load your main map into that folder, gmapsupp.img (it has to have this name for Garmins to recognize the map)

• If you want to add add'l maps, create a another folder called CUSTOMMAPS and place it in the GARMIN folder with gmapsupp.img

• In the folder called CUSTOMMAPS, create as many new folders as you have add'l maps. For example, if I wanted to load 2 custom maps in addition to my main USATOPO Map. I would create 2 folders inside the CUSTOMMAPS folder called:

1. BC-TOPO
  2. WA-TOPO

• Inside each of these folders will be the map for the named folder, but they will both have the same name, gmapsupp.img, the folder name it's in is what distinguishes them apart.

• For example, if I wanted to load the map for BC-TOPO, I would go to GARMIN > CUSTOMMAPS > BC-TOPO, then put my map in there. I would do the exact same thing for WA-TOPO.
To recap:
My main folder is GARMIN, inside the that folder I have my main map (gmapsupp.img) and a folder called CUSTOMMAPS.
Inside of CUSTOMMAPS I have 2 folders call BC-TOPO and WA-TOPO, inside each of those folders I have the gmapsupp.img that is associated with that name.
Get it?

Also, as far as only 1 quadrant loading....you have to choose which quadrants you want to import. Open the map you want to load in MapSource (you must install the map on your PC first) and the use the select tool icon, (Looks like a retarded square with the right side notched in, just to the left of the magnifying glass) then choose all the areas you want to import. Then import to your device or to the SD cards and follow the custom map instructions above.

Are you using Garmin Maps.
THey use proprietary maps. You can only loads maps from Garmin's Mapsource(not sure if thats their name at the moment) maps.

Anything else will not load into the background on Garmin GPSs

As Yes. turbolover is correct, you have to "import to device" from Garmin MapSource. They don't have to be Garmin maps, only Garmin compatible maps the will import in the gmapsupp.img format

I see guys talking about make up maps with trails overlaid on a topo and using them in their garmins. The topo I got with the packages sucks and is basicly worthless. 100' contours and no roads or trails, it is the poorest topo I've ever seen.
You can also create custom maps with google earth from a trail map. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take long. Last night I put 5 of the Colorado trail maps on to my Colorado 400T in about an hour. Below is the link for the instructions.............

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupd...ng-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html

FYI: The custom overlays in the above link only work on Colorado's, Oregon's, or Dakota's. I tried it on my Rino 530HCX with no luck, the Rino doesn't recognize the custom overlay.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
P
Jun 23, 2010
I just ordered a Garmin Rino 530HCX and will be doing the exact same thing soon. My question is, are the National Geographic topo maps compatible with Garmin? Is one more preferable than the other? Does anyone have experience with both?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I just ordered a Garmin Rino 530HCX and will be doing the exact same thing soon. My question is, are the National Geographic topo maps compatible with Garmin? Is one more preferable than the other? Does anyone have experience with both?

They all have different format's, I dont believe they are cross compatible. Garmin primarily uses the TOPO maps, there are, however, a lot of aftermarket map not made by Garmin, but are in the correct format to use on Rino's

24K maps are far more detailed than the 100K but a lot more expensive too.

Google is your friend :D http://www.google.com/search?q=garm...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
Premium Features