• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Protective Gear MTX Rear Bumper

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This afternoon my Skinz Protective Gear Nytro MTX Rear Bumper arrived from Sled Solutions (http://www.sledsolutions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=902)
I requested this be powdercoated in Yamaha Blue as I thought it would add a nice touch to my Blue 2010 SE. Skinz was more than happy to accommodate this request and did a fabulous job on the powder-coating!

While I have not yet done the install, I wanted to let everyone know what was built and shipped to me.

Some may ask why I bother with the photos of the shipping material. Having been in custom manufacturing, HOW a specialty product is packed and shipped to the customer says ALOT about the overall quality of the product itself.

Skinz packaging and shipping was FIRST RATE!
Everything arrived INTACT without any scratches or abrasions, extremely well wrapped and boxed.

The overall quality of the finished product "Appears" to be excellent!
The beauty of their aluminum welds speaks volumes all by itself.

As summer rolls along and I get this installed, I will add more to this post.

The Box
picture.php

The contents
(note my under the tunnel exhaust came packed with my new rear bumper, and the muffler was TOTALLY Isolated from the bumper)
picture.php

Rear Bumper showing the edge curve for tunnel
picture.php

picture.php

Sidewall showing curve
picture.php

Sidewall showing curvature
picture.php

Vented Pattern Closeup
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thoughts.

I ordered this just because it LOOKED beautiful on their website.
The appearance caught my eye first and foremost.

One of the things I wanted though was a Tunnel Stiffner, and from their photos I couldn't be 100% sure that the sides of this had dimensionality to it. That it wasn't just flat, but actuall curved and followed along the sides of the tunnel. I tried to get some photos showing this feature. From what I can see, it should do the trick nicely, as I want to install a rear Tunnel Bag and wanted the extra support.

But you can't escape the beauty of it.
Its just a good looking accessory to the sled.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Been a long summer.
Still working on this.

Got the rear Bumper off the sled and removed both of the side reflectors.
First time I ever drilled out a rivet in my life.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With NOTHING holding it in place, this is the rear bumper just sitting on the rear end. When mounted I think it will sit just a bit higher on the tunnel.

picture.php

I am thinking that the rear reflector will probably have to come off as it is all but worthless now the rear bumper blocking it from view.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With my tunnel now polished and the Air-Frame boards installed, I am finally ready to rivet this beast into place.!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Positioned the bumper into place. There is "SOME" room to slide it forward or backward, but give or take about 3/8ths of a inch, it HAS to be where it ends up or the pre-existing whole that were left from the OEM bumper bolts will not line up with the metal of the new bumper. So positioning it was really a matter of trying to center all of the holes.

picture.php

Here you can see THREE of the pre-existing OEM bumper mounting holes that have to be re-used to mount the new bumper.
picture.php

Unfortunately you have to drill from the inside of the tunnel out, which means your pushing the bumper off the tunnel, so I had my son grab it and hold it in place in addition to the spring clamps.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This kinda surprised me. Considering how sweet this bumper is, it didn't come with a short bolt and a nice caped nut. I think tomorrow I am going to go hunting for some shorter bolts with a decorative caped nut to replace the ones that came from Skinz.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is the finished product MINUS the rivets.
I had ordered another bag of Rivets from OFT Racing as I do NOT like the rivets that Skinz supplies. The OEM Yamaha Rivets from OFT Racing are VASTLY superior in quality!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
All the ones I have found go into the tunnel itself, leaving it to either be blocked by the bumper or be faced up at about 45 degrees. From the look of that one it must mount flush at a 90 degree angle instead.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Gotta go buy a little multi-meter today.
The colors of the wires don't match up and I don't have a clue which is hot, Ground and Neutral.

Y

yamacat800

Dec 10, 2007
I put the same bumper on my 09 nytro and cut the tunnel to match the bumper, turned out pretty good I think

Attachments

• tunnel cut 7.jpg
    tunnel cut 7.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 69
  • tunnel cut 6.jpg
    tunnel cut 6.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 86
  • tunnel cut 5.jpg
    tunnel cut 5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 83

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Had a couple rivets that had to be installed on the bumper before I was finished with it.
picture.php

Got the new Tail Light installed.

picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features