• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom M8 Tial Turbo Kit (w/ Boondocker controller)

O
Dec 5, 2007
For the past few years turbo sleds have been out I always thought I would never turbo a sled of mine, 1. Didn't want it to be unreliable. 2. Thought it would take away the challenge of climbing big hills. However with the technology and the many many different turbo kits coming out I thought I could use this and put together my own (Custom) kit to fit my exact needs. I started ordering parts for the build through out the summer. (to make my self feel like I wasn't spending so much money) Now that I have all the parts I'm going to start putting it all together on my 2010 M8 SnoPro 162". Me and my buddy have just started the project and hope to be done by the end of the week. I will try and post pics asap. Heres some of the goodies.....

Parts List...... (Custom means I made it or modified it)
Garrett BB turbo with tial housing
Tial wastegate
Tial blowoff valve
Custom intercooler
Custom oil tank
M1000 throttle bodies
Boondocker box w/ wiring
Mountain Fit Hood vents
Big boost gauge
Turbosmart boost T
Koso egt gauge
Custom reeds
Custom support bar(cut-out factory brace)
Custom secondary inj.
Custom pistons
Custom porting
Custom exhaust

Kris's pics 046.jpg Kris's pics 045.jpg Kris's pics 050.jpg

O
Dec 5, 2007
early Christmas!!!!!

Well I got the last 2 major packages I've been waiting for late this afternoon, one of them my turbo!!! Got my whole top end back together after I finished customizing my pistons. In the process of putting the pistons in I split my finger open pretty good on the fresh tunnel porting :0 But its all part of the fun. Put my reeds together and swapped throttle bodies. In the process of lining up my turbo with my pipe and exhaust. Taking the day off tomorrow for the big turkey day. But will update again friday most likely.

kris's turbo setup 005.jpg kris's turbo setup 047.jpg kris's turbo setup 048.jpg kris's turbo setup 056.jpg kris's turbo setup 058.jpg kris's turbo setup 064.jpg kris's turbo setup 065.jpg

O
Dec 5, 2007
Didn't get near as much done today as I wanted too, ended up having to haul christmas trees!! The oil drains into the top of the turbo as you can see in these pics.

kris' sled 374.jpg kris' sled 375.jpg kris' sled 376.jpg

O
Dec 5, 2007
Haven't got as far as I was hoping, but making progress. Had to work on a couple of my buddies sleds over the week and ended up working more than I would like, haha. Got the exhaust done and started on the intercooler. Here's a few more pics.....

kris turbo 2 012.jpg kris turbo 2 015.jpg kris turbo 2 016.jpg

N

never enough snow

Dec 7, 2008
LOOKING GOOD THE INTER COOLER HAS ROOM FOR DAUL FANS ON THAT BAD BOY LOL!:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
O
Dec 5, 2007
As with any engine, the more air you can feed your turbo equipped engine the more fuel you can add and the more power you can make. 2 factors effect how much air your turbo system equipped engine gets:

-Boost pressure. The more boost pressure you run the more air you force into the engine and the more power you produce.
-Air density. The colder the air, the more dense it becomes. The denser the air, the more your engine can use on a given combustion cycle and the more power you produce.

As turbo systems increase boost, the temperature of the intake air increases (following the laws of physics). At certain boost levels this rise in temperature becomes dramatic. An intercooler mounts between your turbo and your engine and lowers intake temperatures, allowing the air to become more dense.

For example, lets take a test 800cc engine, running 8200 RPM, at 8000 ft elevation, and 32° ambient air temp.

If we take our test engine and boost it 8 psi, with a reasonable turbo compressor efficiency of 72%, our compressor temp rise would be 116 ° added that to our ambient air temp of 32°, we would have a charge air temp of 148° and make approximately 194.7 HP.

Now if we were to add an intercooler that is 60% efficient, our charge air temp would drop 70° leaving us with a charge air temp of 78° and make approximately 220.1 HP, a 13% HP gain.

Let’s take our test sled and bump it up to 15 psi. If we use the same compressor efficiency of 72% our compressor temp rise would be 185° added to our ambient air temp of 32°, we would have a charge air temp of 217° and make approximately 239.6 HP. (at this kind of charge air temp you would most like experience detonation)

Now if we were to add an intercooler that is 60% effective, our charge air temps would drop 111° leaving us with a charge air temp of 106° and make approximately 286.6 HP, a 20% HP gain, and no detonation

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
and the best part about that math is that your still assuming no heat soak or the likes.. and 72% compressor efficiency is a pretty high guess, so those are fair numbers, not really taking it to extremes.

A well done intercooler on a sled can be VERY effective, its freezing arse cold out, so you got lots of good cool air to keep it workin well, the key is the fan and good venting.. then you got a recepie for big power and longer motor life.

looks like a good build, keep the updates rollin.

K

Klimbing Kitty

As with any engine, the more air you can feed your turbo equipped engine the more fuel you can add and the more power you can make. 2 factors effect how much air your turbo system equipped engine gets:

-Boost pressure. The more boost pressure you run the more air you force into the engine and the more power you produce.
-Air density. The colder the air, the more dense it becomes. The denser the air, the more your engine can use on a given combustion cycle and the more power you produce.

As turbo systems increase boost, the temperature of the intake air increases (following the laws of physics). At certain boost levels this rise in temperature becomes dramatic. An intercooler mounts between your turbo and your engine and lowers intake temperatures, allowing the air to become more dense.

For example, lets take a test 800cc engine, running 8200 RPM, at 8000 ft elevation, and 32° ambient air temp.

If we take our test engine and boost it 8 psi, with a reasonable turbo compressor efficiency of 72%, our compressor temp rise would be 116 ° added that to our ambient air temp of 32°, we would have a charge air temp of 148° and make approximately 194.7 HP.

Now if we were to add an intercooler that is 60% efficient, our charge air temp would drop 70° leaving us with a charge air temp of 78° and make approximately 220.1 HP, a 13% HP gain.

Let’s take our test sled and bump it up to 15 psi. If we use the same compressor efficiency of 72% our compressor temp rise would be 185° added to our ambient air temp of 32°, we would have a charge air temp of 217° and make approximately 239.6 HP. (at this kind of charge air temp you would most like experience detonation)

Now if we were to add an intercooler that is 60% effective, our charge air temps would drop 111° leaving us with a charge air temp of 106° and make approximately 286.6 HP, a 20% HP gain, and no detonation

Where did you get that:)

http://www.coderedperformance.com/turbos.html

O
Dec 5, 2007
I never claimed I said anything, copied it off of another thread thought I got the address on there... Obviously didn't not a big deal. Me and Michael did the porting... Keith has taught us how bc he can't do it anymore. Got the intercooler done today and looks great. Will upload pics when im on the computer again. Have to put secondary injectors in, wire everything in, and we'll be laughing. Hope to test it out all weekend.

Premium Features