• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon Recommendation

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
BCA is now ensuring that all their retailers are selling the Tracker 2 at their MAP price of $335.

Since you can't get a good deal on these any longer, I would recommend that people look at the new Ortovox 3+ for less than $15 more. This beacon was the unanimous choice of professionals I have talked to that were able to work with all the gear at the recent International Symposium of Snow Science and Avalanche Practice in Squaw Valley. Their opinion was that the range was better than the BCA, it had superior multiple burial properties, was easy to use, had a great price point and just operated more "smoothly". It also has some cool new antenna technology that is not available in other beacons.

It is crucial that you are prepared by carrying some type of beacon. If you are looking for a new one, you should do your research and compare the various offerings from the different vendors and pick the one that you think fits you best. I would definitely include the Ortovox 3+ in the mix.

You MUST practice with whatever beacon you choose. Statistics show that those that carry beacons (but have limited practice, knowledge and and experience) only fare slightly better than those that don't carry one at all. However, those that do (professionals) have recovery rates as high as 75%.

http://www.ortovox.com/avalanche-transceivers/three-plus

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Not trying to get any dealer in trouble, but I just bought the Tracker 2 for $268.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I'd be careful with the new Ortovox 3+ until they get all the bugs worked out. Here is an independent review of the beacon:http://avalanche1tv.com/?p=26

Which bugs are you referring to? The premier review site for avy beacons, beaconreviews.com has this initial thought to share:

"The 3+ underwent four hours of testing on October 15. The results were very solid. A preliminary review should appear within a month and a full review shortly there after."

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Be careful....

BCA told me that a vendor from the forum has been complaining about prices lower than the $335 MSRP price, which is obviously being followed up by action on their part. I know they contacted me and demanded that I not sell them for less than that, and I am just a private party that was buying some and trying to help people get equipped.

I am not positive which vendor it is, but I have my suspicions. I am disturbed by this behavior, as I think anything we can do to get people geared up is a good thing.

Because of this, I personally have chosen to associate with companies other than BCA.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Which bugs are you referring to? The premier review site for avy beacons, beaconreviews.com has this initial thought to share:

"The 3+ underwent four hours of testing on October 15. The results were very solid. A preliminary review should appear within a month and a full review shortly there after."

I haven't used the beacon yet because Ortovox hasn't sent any to us even though we have tried to order them several times. Beaconreviews hasn't posted an official review yet, so I was only posting the review I had seen out there. As with anything in the 'net, you have to take a little information from multiple sources to get an accurate representation.

S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
Be careful....

BCA told me that a vendor from the forum has been complaining about prices lower than the $335 MSRP price, which is obviously being followed up by action on their part. I know they contacted me and demanded that I not sell them for less than that, and I am just a private party that was buying some and trying to help people get equipped.

I am not positive which vendor it is, but I have my suspicions. I am disturbed by this behavior, as I think anything we can do to get people geared up is a good thing.

Because of this, I personally have chosen to associate with companies other than BCA.

I am thinking of upgrading my old BCA's. If they have this policy I will go any where but to BCA for my needs. I don't care for price fixing especially on life saving equipment.

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
i agree

I am thinking of upgrading my old BCA's. If they have this policy I will go any where but to BCA for my needs. I don't care for price fixing especially on life saving equipment.

there is no reason to dictate to the dealers what they have to charge for their product as long as the manufacturer is getting their cut who gives a sh&t about the end costs, do they call that capitolism, sell more for less and make more than selling less for more. Hey what a thought mor efolks can afford your product and your name will be out there as the product to have???? jmo

Just throwing my 2 cents out there. I sell beacons as part of my job, and am not commission based so I'm not bias on the beacon because of the price. I'm also an active member of the local Search and Rescue. Between SAR and selling them I get to play with beacons a lot. I would recommend the Mammut Pulse Barryvox to anyone looking to buy a beacon, with my second choice being the Ortovox S1. The Barryvox is my favorite because of its ease of use and how simple the multiple burial feature is to use. Have got to play with the new 3+ from Ortovox and it is a great price point beacon, would definitely recommend that if your looking at beacons in the 300-350 range. If your willing to spend more get the Barryvox. Hope this is helpful.

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
My .02
I agree. If you are going to set the price that a dealer can sell something at, well why do you have dealers? That is not a very good practice to get into.

Maybe when BCA sales start plumetting they will change their minds and give the dealers a little more slack on the pricing. Personally if I was a dealer and was told to not sell something for any less than a set amount, I would seriously think about finding a different product line/brand name to carry.

All this said, I feel that if you don't have safety equipment such as a beacon, I would seriously put that at the top of the list for equipment to purchase. Many different brands of beacons for sale, just do your home work and purchase the one that you feel you can operate the easiest and you can afford. You can always up grade later on down the road. SAFETY is the or should be the highest priority on your list. We do not need to lose anyone this season or any other season. Safety first and safe sledding to all.

Last edited:
Premium Features