• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW STYLE AVID DRIVERS FOR ALL PITCHES!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It is rare these days when a mfg will work with you on developing a new product for a specific custom task that you are trying to pull off.

Last season, when I wanted to run the 153" Power Claw 90 duro HCR track on my Dragon... I found that I had issues that I could not reconcile with what was then availble for drivers (see this thread for more details CLICK HERE)

I contacted Robbie, owner of Avid products, and had a good long chat with him about what I needed. He was game to work with me on some prototype drivers and make a set for my application...

What I didn't know when working with Robbie on the design was how much better they work/fit with ALL the different tracks and not only the Power Claws.

Well, as it turned out, the end product is overall better in design and use... for all pitch tracks.... Plus the 7 tooth (unique size avail from Avid) gave me the clearance I was looking for without the need to do a D&R on my RAW RMK

They are available in 2.86" pitch 8-tooth, 3.0" pitch 7 & 8 tooth, and 2.52" pitch 8 & 9 tooth. Not listed on the website yet... you will have to call.

After we developed these... Brad Story has been using them in his turbo builds last season with great results.

Here are a Few pics of the new design avid drivers

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The best thing about these drivers is that they turn more smoothly on the track than the standard Avid Combo Drivers do... 99% of the time only the track-belting and involute rubber nubs touching the drivers. the teeth only touch the clips when the track starts to ratchet... This is a big improvement IMO over the stock Polaris 3 driver arrangement, with that, when you do start to ratchet with a Stock Polaris driveshaft... you only have about 4 teeth of the center driver transferring all the power of the motor in the high load situation that caused the track to start to ratchet in the first place.. which is why you have to run the track super tight in some instances with the stock 3 driver setup.

Also, with these new AVID drivers... the drivers are not rotating on the clips...plastic to metal... with these they are plastic to rubber... just like the Arctic Cat M's and the Factory installed combo drivers on all the 2008+ IQ Race sleds. Much easier on the drivers when you have rubber on plastic! (This is why the factory M drivers turn more smoothly in the track.)

When running the previous style Avid Combo (or the Wahl "no-slip") drivers on any track... more vibration is felt compared to this new style... in my experience... especially magnified when the track is clipped every other window.

There is one more benefit to these drivers that I did not consider when first thinking about them...since this new design combo driver is not riding on top of the clips....which are approx 1/8" higher than the belting of the track... the involute teeth can seat more deeply between the involute nubs and have even less of a chance to slip/ratchet in the first place (just like a stock driver)... the extro teeth will be in contact with the clips less frequently... further reducing any vibration from the driveline.

IMO, if you are going to install Combo drivers... get this new style..they will turn more smoothly and give better performance.

new style drivers.jpg

Last edited:

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Nice post. It's nice when you can find a guy that will listen to what you need and find a solution for you. Wish there was more poeple like that out there. Good luck on the build!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Great Info...yes, Robbie is a great guy...and very helpful with great prices for whats offered.

MH. are the new style drivers the same price the old style?

when will they be on the site do you know?

i will be getting some from him when i start this turbo build for sure..

S

sw

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Great info MH, another benefit of these 'Cat' style drivers is you will not have to pull entire chaincase when pulling the driveshaft out, as with standard anti-ratchets with outside involutes. Wish these were invented two years ago, nice work to everyone involved!

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
Nice work!! Too bad they werent out a year ago so I wouldnt have cut up a new set of Avid drivers. Any chance they will make them for the 1.0625, 1.125 hex drive shaft for us IQR guys?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I just got off the phone with Robbie... He'll make these for whatever drive-shaft you have... But don't wait till September to order...From there out, he's busiest and might not be able to get to special requests.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I just got off the phone with Robbie... He'll make these for whatever drive-shaft you have... But don't wait till September to order...From there out, he's busiest and might not be able to get to special requests.

i assume they are the same price as the "older style" drivers he makes currently?

great to know...will get a set for sure when i can.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Happen to know prices?? I am in the market for some new 3.0 drivers for my IQR..

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
There is a Reason ---

Why I didn't find a used set of the old Style to go on by 900.

Now Guido will want to sell me his old ones so he can get the new Combo's.

This is a Great Find MH thanks for coaxing Avid into building these.

I will order them for my 05 /900 166 Ratchet Master and the little womans 2006 IQ 685 /155 Doo shredder.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Why I didn't find a used set of the old Style to go on by 900.

Now Guido will want to sell me his old ones so he can get the new Combo's.

This is a Great Find MH thanks for coaxing Avid into building these.

I will order them for my 05 /900 166 Ratchet Master and the little womans 2006 IQ 685 /155 Doo shredder.

LOL...who me I never have anything nice ;)

NICE PRODUCT, BUT IF I WAS TO ORDER THESE TO PUT ON MY 2011 RMK WITH A POWERCLAW TRACK WOULD I STELL NEED A ANTI STAB KIT?

Yes..I am certain with any anti ratchet setup u must run anti stab..hopefully someone with that track will chime in for u.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
yah......anti stab kits should be factory. Know a guy that hit a little bump after a custom set up assembly and went through the bars and windshield and messed alot of the sled up....... Anti stab kit and it would have been fine.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I was up at robbies shop when he was building a few of the first ones.. these things are a WORK OF ART... I just glanced at them not really sure what they were for... His stuff is top notch and the little details of how the track clips ride make them leaps and bounds ahead of other drivers for overall performance.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NICE PRODUCT, BUT IF I WAS TO ORDER THESE TO PUT ON MY 2011 RMK WITH A POWERCLAW TRACK WOULD I STILL NEED A ANTI STAB KIT?

I would... Small cost... easier rolling at the nose with the tail compressed... minimal weight since the anti stab replaces the limit strap bar.... eliminates the chance for stab problems.

Premium Features