• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnowKiting the Wild Windy West!

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
Just marked up on my 1st year of Kiteboarding. Haven't got in as much as I'd like too but well on the way. Started off a little last fall on water then snow and really learned much more last spring at Hood River. Now I'm just waiting to hit the snow for real this year. Mostly Eastern Washington with trips to Idaho, Montana & Utah. Any other riders on here please chime in. Here is a couple vids I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D59CgDnOA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGrNSfwPBKY

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
That's what I think too. It's pretty much the next step. The problem is its way to addicting and spendy but then when you can trek in, put up a kite and ride for continuous hours on end its plain to see it quickly offsets the cost of fuel and need for a 2nd party to trade runs with.

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
Thanks for sharing. Kiting is so versatile. I've been wanting a Mtn board to ride sand and grass for those days on land and then it hit me the sand dunes would be a trip and a perfect board for sand hasn't even been developed yet. Its a sport that is just going to go in the next few years and I know I'm gonna be a part of it.

heynagel

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
I've been kiting for a 6-7 years now here in MT. I usually hit the Bighorn mtns for snowkiting. TONS of room, windy, and a lot of natural kickers to hit. If your ever around Billings give me a shout!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Thanks for sharing. Kiting is so versatile. I've been wanting a Mtn board to ride sand and grass for those days on land and then it hit me the sand dunes would be a trip and a perfect board for sand hasn't even been developed yet. Its a sport that is just going to go in the next few years and I know I'm gonna be a part of it.

I've tried Kiting with the mtn board a few times... GREAT way to F yourself up!!!

I would not recommend trying it, with the kites we need that ability to slide & the mtn board pretty much sucks at that! I've used me snowboard on sand before, that's not too bad, way better than the mtn board on grass! Your feet SWEAT like hell though, can't figure out how to do it without the boots!

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
The snow hasn't been so good here in WA lately so I had to take it to the water on Christmas Eve.

bayview.jpg

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
Its the Waterville Plateau region in WA. Pretty stoked about how vast it is and how close this part of it is. Not much wind this day but it gets it. This pick is right before I launched off the front bumper of my truck. I hear there is an exhibition in the works near the town of Waterville but the region is much bigger. Can hardly wait for the next NE push. I posted some more pics on PSKite but still was solo with a still camera. I need some GoPros. Thinking about a foil for lightwind instead of pumping up a 15 again. Still a good kite but any good foil equivilents?

Last edited:

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Seen lots of Kites up for sale for 50-70% off on the SAC & Tramdock lately. Not exactly how'd I wanna blow $500 but iffin' your looking for one you might check it out.

S

sailUT

Nov 23, 2008
Fruit Heights, Utah
This is one of my favorite places in Utah to sled/snowkite, Upper Lake Creek in the Uinta's.
Later Feb and March are the best. Longer days for the thermal winds to develop, and more storms.

Looking south, Mt Timpanogos in the background.

securedownload-1_zpsc58cfdcd.jpeg

Looking east at Kite area.

IMG_0078-1.jpg

Looking west down the valley.

LakeCreek.jpg

Premium Features