• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear suspension factory settings (sag)?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Noticed on the floor models at the dealer that the rear suspension on the PRO's seems to have a few inches of sag just sitting there. Is it set up really soft/with little preload from the factory, or is that how they want it? Anyone who has sat on their's more....have you stiffened it up any? With a 200lb+ dude on it, it *looks* like it would be way soft, what do you think?

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
i noticed about 2 inches of sag on mine then it hits a wall. i'm 230 and it doesn't squat out. the 2 inches of play you can move by pushing on the bumper seems to be it when i stand on it, my assault used to squat some when i got on it but this one don't.

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
on that note, i don't know much about suspension, where do you tighten up to get the suspension stiffer? does this change the ride hieghth of the sled? i'm fat and want my suspension ready for that.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Mine seems quite a bit stiffer than my D8. I weigh in at 210 and seems like it will be fine. I did have Carl's revalve for my weight and riding style, but that shouldn't affect rider sag or spring pressure. The owner's manual just shows spring length measurements for weight that I saw, but I think seat time will tell where it needs to be. I rode a demo which I would assume was stock and it was really good. I asked my dealer about heavier springs and they said none were available yet.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
Mine seems quite a bit stiffer than my D8. I weigh in at 210 and seems like it will be fine. I did have Carl's revalve for my weight and riding style, but that shouldn't affect rider sag or spring pressure. The owner's manual just shows spring length measurements for weight that I saw, but I think seat time will tell where it needs to be. I rode a demo which I would assume was stock and it was really good. I asked my dealer about heavier springs and they said none were available yet.

The typical factory setup seems to be better suited to lighter weight riders, around 180 lbs geared up. It does not work very well for the 230-260 lb guys, such as myself. The 08-10 Dragons/RMK's also suffered from a saggy a** problem. The best cure for the 2011's rear would be to put in Carl's Rear Fox shock package, also available from Holz Racing Products.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I agree that we will probably need more spring (we being the over 200lb crowd). I'm going to stick to coils this go around as I personally like the action better than an air spring. I've run the Zero Pro's and the Floats on my previous sleds and feel like the coils of the Zero's were more progressive. I'm sure some will disagree with me on this, but I've run them back to back and just didn't like the Floats as much. Btw, both were set up by Carl's, as are the Walkers on my new Pro. Maybe I'll change my mind as the season progresses. We'll see.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
I agree that we will probably need more spring (we being the over 200lb crowd). I'm going to stick to coils this go around as I personally like the action better than an air spring. I've run the Zero Pro's and the Floats on my previous sleds and feel like the coils of the Zero's were more progressive. I'm sure some will disagree with me on this, but I've run them back to back and just didn't like the Floats as much. Btw, both were set up by Carl's, as are the Walkers on my new Pro. Maybe I'll change my mind as the season progresses. We'll see.

I hear ya on the Float(air) feel. Went to coilover Exit X0's on my 09 Dragon from WE & Float2's on the front. That being said, for others, by the time a guy buys a couple of springs for the back skid shock you just may as well bite the bullet and get the up grade kit. It will be better than the stock stuff. Adjust ability of the back shock now becomes infinite. :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Is there enough adjustment to stiffen it up a bit with what's there rather than buying new parts? I haven't had a chance to look at it close enough myself, and that was more what I was thinking. I'm not as eager as some to throw out perfectly good brand new factory stuff....

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Is there enough adjustment to stiffen it up a bit with what's there rather than buying new parts? I haven't had a chance to look at it close enough myself, and that was more what I was thinking. I'm not as eager as some to throw out perfectly good brand new factory stuff....

I'm trying like hell to keep that mindset this go around. I look at my 08 D8 that i can't seem to give away, with just about every aftermarket "upgrade" you can buy and wonder if it's really worth it. It helps that the Pro comes stock with most of the refinements that I put on the D8. I'm going to set the suspension and bars up to my liking and ride the piss out of it and see where that gets me.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'm trying like hell to keep that mindset this go around. I look at my 08 D8 that i can't seem to give away, with just about every aftermarket "upgrade" you can buy and wonder if it's really worth it. It helps that the Pro comes stock with most of the refinements that I put on the D8. I'm going to set the suspension and bars up to my liking and ride the piss out of it and see where that gets me.

Exactly where I'm trying to go....I was pretty happy that I might even get away with the stock bars, might need an inch or 2 of riser, but not much!

Between work and sled problems last year, I didn't get much riding...and the riding I did get was expensive. I really want to put some miles on this year, so if I'm happy with what's there, I'm just gonna leave it alone.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
There should be some sag in your susp. It should be valved so it doesn't bottom out but if you think it's to saggy then twist up the preload on the spring.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Exactly where I'm trying to go....I was pretty happy that I might even get away with the stock bars, might need an inch or 2 of riser, but not much!

Between work and sled problems last year, I didn't get much riding...and the riding I did get was expensive. I really want to put some miles on this year, so if I'm happy with what's there, I'm just gonna leave it alone.

I have an AMP 2-1/2" riser I bought for my Pro but am not going to use. I'll sell it to you for what I paid and ship it for free if you want it. Saves you a couple bucks.

AMP-9915.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have an AMP 2-1/2" riser I bought for my Pro but am not going to use. I'll sell it to you for what I paid and ship it for free if you want it. Saves you a couple bucks.

Thanks a lot for the offer; I really want to get it home and sit on it a little more before I buy something, but I'll definetly keep that in mind!

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA

That's exactly what I'm gonna do, plus it keeps my factory warranty intact, too. Just a couple of little things here or there as I find a need. This sled is gonna be a major improvement over most 2 or 3 year old mod sleds, that it begs the question....WHY?

Premium Features