• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Would you be interested in a Sled access skiing & Boarding Forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
50 votes needed!!!!!
10/12/10 we have 30 and counting

i personally know alot of people that frequent snowest ride snowmobiles and also ride snomobiles to access back country skiing and boarding..

how about making a new forum for back country sled accessed skiing and boarding?

lots of good info could come out of this for sure. sharing locations, rack setups and more..

SnomoBoard
SnomoSki

i love riding both sled and boards just the same.. and i know alot of others do as well.

Last edited:
D
Oct 18, 2009
Reno NV
My sentiments exactly. This reason I bought a nytro. Sofoar, I've found very little information in setting up a sled, towing techniques or way of ascending hills for back country skiing/boarding.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I would consider it.

You round up 50 active participating members of SnoWest who would commit to using it on a regular basis, and at least 1 premium member who would be willing to act as the moderator, and I will create a test forum for you.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I'm in!

Yeah I'll use it.

BUT I'm not giving away any spots!!:face-icon-small-ton haha
For that I just recommend getting on your sled, no intentions of boarding or skiing that day, and explore. Bring lots of fuel...

As for setting up a sled, clutch and gear for a big fat guy, and from what I've heard, riding doubles is much easier on the sled than towing. I ride doubles Canadian style, one guy on each side of the sled, and if the passenger doesn't lean when they should, push them off! haha

Seriously though, this would be useful.

I could maybe be a moderator, how much of a time commitment would this be?

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
Christopher.
i can moderate.. i am waaaay to familiar with forums.. i own and operate multiple sites as well
www.omlb.com

if we made this thread more vissible it would get alot more viewers.. people don't come to this section.. so getting the 50 committments is going to be tough from here..

oh yeah.. sharing the secret spots.. hahaha.. no ;)

but posting up pictures, video, stories i'll share!
http://oneshotadventures.blogspot.com/

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
SnoMoBoarding is the reason I got my sled, although I spend more days just riding my sled in recent years. Either way, I'M IN!

20090321_225651_P3200570.jpg

H
Nov 27, 2007
I'd be in, main reason i started getting sleds was for access riding.

some of you might have seen me out and about with my work horse, can't miss this sucka haha. also run a 2001 summit but this is the work hog.

alpinem.jpg

Last edited:
H
Nov 27, 2007
hahaha. rad old work horse!!! room for racks on that beast?

oh you know it! got the stand up on edge style Thule racks on the back. actually on my second set I've used em so much. can put 2 boards in the racks then bungee on another board or ski's.

loaded down I'll put 3-4 sets of boards/ski's, 2 5 gallon things of gas, 2 people, spare parts plugs etc under the front seat, and a 18 pack or so of beer under the back seat. she's no speed demon but with all that can hold 30 mph on the flats. it WILL NOT GET STUCK, but can be held back from the super steep hills. she's a 1976 alpine with a 640 Fan in her.

I mostly use it to haul out all the gear and help get 3-4 of us out then just run everyone from the 01 summit.

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
hellasnow
thats rad! we r looking into getting a sled trailer to haul out gear and a BBQ for those spring sessions..
i'm a big fan of getting friends out whom dont have sleds.. we've rolled 4 sleds and 8 people at times.. its just pure FUN!!

H
Nov 27, 2007
haha nice! hopefully over time they will start to pick up sleds themselves :)

i bought the tow behind sled last year that a guy can ride on the back of like a sled dog cart. didn't even use it last year but anxious to see how it will do behind the alpine with more $hit!

you can find em on craigslist fairly cheap and in good condition. paid 140 i think for mine but new are close to 380 or so.

good luck!

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
Yeah my sister has one of those stand on tabogan types u tow behind sled.. works killer, she has a cabin in a gated all winter long community in Roslyn Wa. so you gotta haul all your groceries, bags, garbage in and out and people in on the thing.. its awesome! we race around the hood on it sometimes :)

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I would view it

Although one of the reasons I bought a sled was for snowboarding I have since decided that just snowmo is way more fun.

This might be a good sub-forum in Mountain/Deep powder forum

Last edited:
T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I got a sled a few years ago for skiing, but haven't used to ski yet, I've bought a few sleds since then even. I honestly like sledding more, it's so dang fun and challenging incomparison but I will openly admit that I'm burnt out on skiing. I grew up racing, spent summers training in New Zealand and lots of 100+ day seasons is why I'm burnt, just seems like a burdon to me to use the sled for it now.

but...

I think the section is a good idea, not sure how popular it will be though. I am curious to see everyone's rack set ups, as someday I may get some motivation to use my sled to ski.

L

Lushbomb

Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
thanks Chistopher!!

i too have to admit.. i bought a sled for boarding access, tired of tracked out ski hills and lift lines. i now sled some days way more than i board but i always bring my board in case i feel like riding.. which is and always will be in my blood..
some days are just to deep and way to killer for sledding..
some days most or the area is sled beat downed a few days after a storm. so we then go hit the lines the sleds can't and don't ride.. the gnar :)

when i 1st got my sled i road it exclusively to learn to ride, now that i can ride (and its fun as hell!) i can access some really killer places to board. where as when i was learning to ride my sled i could only dream of dropping some peaks i go to now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features