• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vforce3 Reed Valves

R
Mar 10, 2010
Magic Valley, Idaho
Anyone putting the VForce3 Reed valves into the snow check? Just wondering if they are worth the 259.99 that Polaris is charging for them in their accessory catalog. I checked around on the internet and found they they only improve HP 3-5hp, which doesn't seem like a lot. But its kinda weird that they are in the official Polaris catalog like its something they would put in the sleds but didn't because of cost.

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
no difference noticed on the 09 800 i had, i'd buy something else.

R
Mar 10, 2010
Magic Valley, Idaho
I thought about adding the Power Commander V, but this is an area where I have very little experience. I don't want to add anything that will void the warranty and I don't see much info on the net on performance boosts from having one installed.
What kind of real world results could I expect from having the PCV installed? Are they worth the $369?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I don't know the testing but I would put money that you will get more power from the PCV than reeds. It provides a solid boost on the Dragon. Go to the IQ section and you will see the dyno proven results

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
V-FORCE and PC-3/5

I thought about adding the Power Commander V, but this is an area where I have very little experience. I don't want to add anything that will void the warranty and I don't see much info on the net on performance boosts from having one installed.
What kind of real world results could I expect from having the PCV installed? Are they worth the $369?

I have a 2007 DRAGON 700, 3800 miles, owned since new

The PC-3 is THE single best mod I did , PERIOD. My sled was annoyingly lean in the mid range, PIG rich on top when stock, all is good now with the PC. It's the jet tool box for CFI's

I also have the V-Force 3, installed after I had the sled 2 seasons, maybe the slightest bit more responsive on it's best day. I'm going to pull them out prior to the start of this season to check for wear, and I strongly suspect I'll be re-installing the stock reeds.

Check out my TECH TIPS for 600/700/800 CFI's thread under the "INCREASING YOU IQ" thread at the top of this IQ section

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
agreed the v force 3's were a waste on the iq's. a little more throttle repsonse is all. pcv is the best bang for the buck. it will make your sled run so much better.

with all that said maybe the v force 3's will be better on these new cfi 2 engines.

R
Mar 10, 2010
Magic Valley, Idaho
Well I was thinking of getting the Carl's Cycle clutch kit for $227 and now that PC5 and leaving the rest of the sled stock. I always thought that the PC's were for sled with pipes, heads, or bored out. So how does that work, you just buy the PC5 and it auto tunes to your sled or do you have to have a laptop to setup the PC5? Or do you install these fuel maps I see online and run with them? I would rather not blow up my new toy.

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
Before you guys all ax the v-force reeds try this.... Install pcIII or V first run it and see what it does then install v-force reeds... They work!!!! At the stock level not so much but once you get the fuel right there is a huge diff. and take it one step further, the right head will help even more.. then match it with a pipe or the only one really out there now a slp pipe, witch no one will see for awhile nor will we see pc V until they get it figured out... Sothe best mod for now is ride it like you stole it and see what you don't like about it, then change it... For me the pro rmk needs different gearing, clutching and valving or shocks in the front, the soft track for where i ride and alot more seat time from the six hours i had on it last year.... And you never know maybe it is even better then the 3 i rode last year and i will just ride it stock.... NOT there is always room for upgrades it all comes down to how deep your bank roll is and trust me there is always someone that has deeper pocks than you on the hill but do they have as much fun is the really question... So no matter what you do or don't do the new PRO is once Again the TRUE ROCKY MOUNTIAN KING....... Hope that helps and you have a blast kickin some Ski-don'ts butts this year... It's been along time coming but it's our YEAR NOW.......

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The stock reed cage on the polaris is a V-force knock off these days anyway. It isn't that the V-force is a bad product, but wasn't really designed for a CFI application. The problem is that the carbon reeds are more brittle by design. With older 2 strokes you actually had a cushion provided from the fuel flow, but that no longer exists with CFI. The reeds only control the air charge. The heat and constant slamming of the reeds is likely what causes them to crack and chip prematurely.
As for the power commander. If you asked me what the greatest advancement in aftermarket snowmobiling has been, I would answer, "the power commander". I hope Polaris has the FI figured out, but I suspect the biggest performance gain will still be with a power commander. Less money than a pipe, the ability to properly fuel your motor and more HP. It's the future my friends.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Sure like the Power Commander on my Harley(s), they will certainly be the first addition to the sled.
I have two coming, one for me, and one for me and Momma. :face-icon-small-hap
Think I'll make changes to one and have a baseline to comparo to.

And I second the sentiment that we are over due to have the sled for a change!!

Bag

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Before you guys all ax the v-force reeds try this.... Install pcIII or V first run it and see what it does then install v-force reeds... They work!!!! At the stock level not so much but once you get the fuel right there is a huge diff. and take it one step further, the right head will help even more.. then match it with a pipe or the only one really out there now a slp pipe, witch no one will see for awhile nor will we see pc V until they get it figured out... Sothe best mod for now is ride it like you stole it and see what you don't like about it, then change it... For me the pro rmk needs different gearing, clutching and valving or shocks in the front, the soft track for where i ride and alot more seat time from the six hours i had on it last year.... And you never know maybe it is even better then the 3 i rode last year and i will just ride it stock.... NOT there is always room for upgrades it all comes down to how deep your bank roll is and trust me there is always someone that has deeper pocks than you on the hill but do they have as much fun is the really question... So no matter what you do or don't do the new PRO is once Again the TRUE ROCKY MOUNTIAN KING....... Hope that helps and you have a blast kickin some Ski-don'ts butts this year... It's been along time coming but it's our YEAR NOW.......

I doubt that will happen, nothing climbs like they do...

On a side note, i highly doubt that the v-force do anything. I had them on my 900 rmk mod and swapped them from stock and didn't notice a thing...

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
PC-5/ AUTO-TUNE

Well I was thinking of getting the Carl's Cycle clutch kit for $227 and now that PC5 and leaving the rest of the sled stock. I always thought that the PC's were for sled with pipes, heads, or bored out. So how does that work, you just buy the PC5 and it auto tunes to your sled or do you have to have a laptop to setup the PC5? Or do you install these fuel maps I see online and run with them? I would rather not blow up my new toy.

With the PC-5 you'll want to get a map from someone (Dynotech Jim www.dynotechresearch.com) that's runnin' a combination like yours (meaning STOCK pipe, etc.) Pull the rope and go, 15 minute install, plug + play. Laptop not required.

If you get the AUTO-TUNE option ($250 EXTRA and you'll have to weld a fitting in your exhaust to accommodate the 0-2 sensor)) it will build a map as you drive your sled down the trail.

HARRYSMITH500 here on SnoWest has AUTOTUNE and a PC-5 on his 800, why not P.M. him and ask him how E-Z it is to tune and how it benefits his sled.

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
V-force USED to make a great reed. I installed a set in my 03 800 last winter and they did a great job of increaseing throttle response as they always had. Then as the season went on, my sled didnt want to idle for crap. Under 6000rpm it ran like crap. I thought it was other issues until I tore my motor down this summer. Most all of the pedals on the v-forces were chipped, broke missing with only a few hundred miles on them. Thought that was just happening with the cfi's as they run only fuel air and no fuel'oil through them to cool/lube them. Atleast that was the rumor running around as to the high failure of the v-forces on the cfi motors. They held up no better on my old 800. Seems V-force has changed the materials in their reeds. Next set will be Boysens. they work well like v-force used to.....

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
V-force USED to make a great reed. I installed a set in my 03 800 last winter and they did a great job of increaseing throttle response as they always had. Then as the season went on, my sled didnt want to idle for crap. Under 6000rpm it ran like crap. I thought it was other issues until I tore my motor down this summer. Most all of the pedals on the v-forces were chipped, broke missing with only a few hundred miles on them. Thought that was just happening with the cfi's as they run only fuel air and no fuel'oil through them to cool/lube them. Atleast that was the rumor running around as to the high failure of the v-forces on the cfi motors. They held up no better on my old 800. Seems V-force has changed the materials in their reeds. Next set will be Boysens. they work well like v-force used to.....

Out of curiousity... did your V-Force have the reed stops on them or no? The Gen II's did not but I noticed they put them back on last year! That could definitely affect reed life!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
So is the Power Commander available for the 2011 800's yet? I heard the plug is different than the one I have on my D8. Maybe they could just come up with an adapter so we don't have to shell out the money again for a new PC :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features