• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old School IRON!!!

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Well, as the title says, its an old school build. Im starting with a 93 Polaris Storm 750 shorty... I have owned numerous Polaris sleds from wedge chassis to edge chassis to the IQ RMK chassis. I recently sold my 08 RMK 700 and went back to the ole backup, my 97 sks 151". I have a certain soft spot for the wedge chassis and like the looks of them so that is what I am building. Now I know that it is gonna be heavy and old but that what I like. Anyway, lets get to what I am doing. Starting with a 1993 Polaris Storm 750. Have started on the build and doing it on a budget..

What I have done so far... I have pretty much completely stripped the sled down. I have taken all the front suspension out, and replacing it with fox 16" ctc shocks and a custom radius rod and tie rod lightweight front end built by one of my buddies. Also he is going to make me some lightweight trailing arms to shed some more weight. Putting newer style spindles in, and Polaris composit skis.
As for the rear, changing the drivers to 8 tooth and dropping in a 151" 2" paddle track. I made my own custom tunnel ext. and the rear suspension is an xtra 10 136" with 151" rail extensions(for now). I am going to put an led tail light on it, and for extra fuel going with the Mountain Addiction Track Rack system with the two 1.3 gallon tanks.
As for the motor, it has the stock triple pipes which I will keep for now in search for a set of aftermarket trips... Clutching will be completely changed, as for the gearing as well, switching from the stock 23/37 to now a 20/39 gearing.
The handlebar have been raised up, throttle and brake extension... mountain bar, hand guards etc... Have put on a digital water temp gauge to better watch engine temps. and there will be more things I plan on doing to it, some of the work is done, and some isnt. but it will be for sure done by winter. ill post some pics of what it looked like when I first got it and some work in progress pics. let me know what ya guys think!
CK

IMG00072-20100403-1752.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I like your project. I too recently sold my newer sled ('09 RMK 800 and '10 Skidoo XP) and picked up my friends '98 XC 600 with 144". I am working on getting a Boss high rise seat to fit and taller bars.

Are you doing any chassis mod's to make it carve or tip over easier? I picked up a set of Polaris Gripper skis for my sled and I want to narrow the stance a little bit, any suggestions? I was thinking about just cutting off the outside part of the spindle and using a spacer to soak up the difference. I figured that would narrow the stance about 1.5-2".

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
i wouldnt cut the spindle just get shorter rods and pull the sway bar out we are actuly going wider on these with longer shocks to make for a better handling sled

Thanks, I will look into the short rods. The sway bar has been removed for a long time :face-icon-small-hap

It's been 10+ yrs since I ridden a Wedge chassis as my primary sled so it will be interesting to say the least.

Sorry for the hijack.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I had a 93' 750 storm that I put an SLP 900 triple in. I threw a 03' ski-doo skid underneath it with a 159X16X2 track under it and a few other goodies from a dead sled and the thing ripped...I'm sure yours will look a lot cleaner once it's done than mine did! My tunnel extension was a piece of bailin twine that I tied from the snow flap to the rear bumper :)

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
i wouldnt cut the spindle just get shorter rods and pull the sway bar out we are actuly going wider on these with longer shocks to make for a better handling sled

What manowar said, shorten your radius rods. and getting rid of your sway bar will help a lot. I also got rid of the sway bar... Manowar is actually the one who is building my radius rods, tie rods and trailing arms... should have most of it all in my possession by haydays weekend... shocks are going to be sent out for a rebuild next week.

In the lookout for a good 151 2" paddle track now... once i have that, i can put the whole rear together, drivers in, chaincase back together and get it almost back in rolling form within the next month...

Thanks for all the comments guys, glad some of you guys like the old sleds yet.

CK

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Update... got her pulled out of the dungeon and washed it up a bit, starting to resemble a snowmobile again... also, got a Camo 2" 151" track on its way, should be here thursday... then a bunch more work...

IMG00068-20100828-1448.jpg

IMG00067-20100828-1447.jpg

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
UPDATE!

Well, it was a nice surprise to see this at my doorstep when I got home from work today, 151" 2" Camo track! gonna spend some time and port it this weekend and with any luck drop it in as well... gonna stagger my ports, but just gonna port the center of the track... gonna go 3-1 1/4" holes spaced evenly and then 2-1 1/4" holes spaced accordingly. Hope it turns out being as I this will be the first track I have ever ported. I have had some helpful hints from a good friend thou(thanks manowar). ill post pics up when I start the porting progress and installation of the track and skid after this weekend.

CK

IMG00076-20100902-1539.jpg

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
I love the '93 Storms.....nothin' like the sound of that engine screamin' up the mountain.

Thanks ford... I love the wedge chassis and i like building sleds and seeing what I can do with little resources. Like take for instance my tunnel ext. I actually saw yours on your xlt and used that as a basis for my design, so thank you... haha

glad you all like the build, i am pretty excited to fire it up soon and ride it to see how it performs. Ive got some updated pics ill post a little later, but just to let you all know, should be 90 percent complete by the end of this week...

CK

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I like the wedge too....I hated the GenII when it came out because they used that wedge for so long and it was so awesome in it's day. I swore I wouldn't like the GenII on principal when it came out...I just liked the wedge too much.
That blue 98 700rmk was my favorite sled of all time...up until about 2003. LOL

Now....I can't deny the newest iron is pretty awesome...but I still like the old stuff.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Well, made a lot of progress this week already. Basically to make a long story short, Im about 90 percent complete with the build, ill let the pictures tell the story...

drivers, track and skid in...
IMG00099-20100912-1725.jpg

Ive got a little room... hahaha
IMG00102-20100913-1935.jpg

starting to look like something, tunnel ext. and seat on.
IMG00103-20100913-1952.jpg

chaincase getting wrapped up.
IMG00108-20100915-1614.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features