• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gearing sled down

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
I mostly ride the mountains and my sled is running 20/39 gears, wanted to gear down, not worried about top speed i just want more low end and faster track speeds. sled is a ZL500 with a 136"/1.75" challenger. would like to gear it down as low as possible so i can climb some decent hills on it, even though it's just a 500. what would be a good setup?

Last edited:
B
Sep 24, 2002
Utah
Factory setup for your sled over 5K elevation was 19/40. Years ago I had an EXT 530 with a 136 slick track under it. When I swapped to a much deeper lug, I geared it down from a 20/40 to a 18/43. I thought I would loose about 10% on the top end. It turned out that the clutches weren't shifting all the way out with the original gears. I lost no top speed and it was a much better machine off the trails. I would bet that the 18/42 or 18/43 (which ever works for chain length) in your sled would really wake it up without slowing you down too far.

Premium Features