• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Handling Pro RMK?

I
Mar 19, 2010
mass
This would be my 1st mountain sled,most of my buddy's ride 120',it's about 12miles to get out of town how does the pro handle on the trails?push?can i keep up with my buddy's?or will it beat the piss out of me till i get off trail?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
This would be my 1st mountain sled,most of my buddy's ride 120',it's about 12miles to get out of town how does the pro handle on the trails?push?can i keep up with my buddy's?or will it beat the piss out of me till i get off trail?

No offense, but the RMK is a purpose built deep snow machine that is not built for trail riding at high speeds. Not to say that you cant ride on trails at high speeds but it wont handle like a Rush or other similar trail sled. The RMK is hands down the best deep snow machine I have ever ridden, I could care less how it handles on the trail.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yea, we could all care less how it handles on the trail until it handles like crap. :)

The ProRMK can be ridden at a pretty stout pace on the trail and is very comfortable. It has quite a bit of inside ski lift in the corners, not unlike the Rush does. It handles bumps and rough trail very well and is at least as comfortable other than the ski lift as the 2011 M8 we were riding at the same time.

It won't keep up with short tracks though, don't expect it to.

sled_guy

I
Mar 19, 2010
mass
Yea, we could all care less how it handles on the trail until it handles like crap. :)

The ProRMK can be ridden at a pretty stout pace on the trail and is very comfortable. It has quite a bit of inside ski lift in the corners, not unlike the Rush does. It handles bumps and rough trail very well and is at least as comfortable other than the ski lift as the 2011 M8 we were riding at the same time.

It won't keep up with short tracks though, don't expect it to.

sled_guy
Thanks for your feedback,i'm converting some of my buds to off trail so i'll be riding it on trail more than i would like.Time to make new friends

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I'd go with the Switchback Assault if you think the majority of your time will be on the trail....that is what it's made for.

The series 5.1 track that comes on the RMK absolutely sucks unless your in deep snow.
The assault track would work much better for ya.

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
After putting on quite a few trail miles on the new rmk i can tell you that you'll be able to keep up with them. Even with the straight rails and having the ski stance at 39" the thing flies. If you're a truely fast trail rider you'll be able to make the thing haul the mail. If you really aren't then you probably won't be so fast on it due to the inside ski lift and its tendency to push a little more with the straight rails.

The new rmk can be pushed much harder than the iq can on the trail. If you know what you're doing its as fast as a short track and it rides better too.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Facts are that for the majority of the sledding public you ride trail right at 30% of your total daily miles of use. So while we had the IQ RAW for excellent off trail performance they really did suck at getting to and from the goods. The PRO-RMK is vastly improved. Flat and consistant. Also no mechanical bind from let off to brake to back on the throttle so the transition is very smooth and much faster. If you could get any traction it would have been all the better. Trim (2.1" net) and screw (3 per lug 1" #6 set screws) the the 5.1 and feel the benefit! We all say "I didn't buy this sled for the trail so I don't care if it sucks!"...don't think you'll hear that from the masses when these get in the hands of the general public.

(I wonder if the Polaris Reps following me on the demo ride thought the PRO-RMK was fun at the trail? Well sort of the trail...I was "straightening out" the trail any opportunity I could and it was a HOOT!)

Keep in mind gang you don't get the coil over suspension with anything under 155! It sucks but that is the facts for now. That suspension is a long ways better then the coil spring on the 144 and worth the longer track handicap for sportier types. I'm thinking that 150" is the minimum for nec geometry..watch and see down the road.

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
Stock for stock, no rmk can hang with a shorty on the trail by virtue of gearing.

It depends on the trail and who's driving. On a twisty trail where you don't exceed 75 due to lack of space, a fast rider on the rmk can make the average rider on the short track look slow.

I'm saying that I can hang with 95% of short track sleds on the trail with this new rmk.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
Like most of us I have too ride approx 10 miles each way on the trails to get into the high country.I like to ride fast and find my 09 dragon a little tippy at speed thru the corners.I don't care what anyone thinks but how can you argue with improved trail riding on the new Pro,the benefits of improved engineering.I hope Ican catch up too the speed of my old 99RMK which was a rocket on the trail

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada

i was in your shoes last year, ordered a 10 summitx to do some 8 hour drive powder trips a few times a winter, doo advertised like poo is this year ''more trail friendly'' mountain sled, my shorty xrs and dragon are for sale. this summit is as good if not better a trail sled as the shorties and no problem to keep up.
this new pro rear suspension should be the gear!

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
First thing I'm doing is install my old freinds the Simmons Gen II's . One thing I don't care for on the F-Bomb track mod is going in and coming out of the trailer or getting moving on a hard surface, it just spins; but in the snow is great.

J

jstahmann

Oct 6, 2009
Orem, UT
If you're riding a lot of trails be sure and use the ice scratchers or add some bogey wheels or you'll be replacing hyfaxes like crazy.

D

dannemartin

Nov 17, 2009
I've driven about 100 miles with my rmk pro and I think we will have problems with overheating in the spring and on hard packed... smaller cooler on the pro :face-icon-small-fro......

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
i agree, there will be heating issues on trails like always with the deep lug long tracks, but at least they come standard with scratchers now.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Last year when I went on the demo ride the Polaris rep had a pretty long winded safety talk about being responsible and not hurting ourselves on the ride. He was pretty adamant about safety. He took the lead and I was next in line. About half way up the trail I looked down at my speedo and it said 70! The point is the Pro may not be a "trail sled", but it was so much better than my 09 that I didn't really even notice how fast I was going. Afterwords my buddies and I were laughing at the fact that the rep was driving like Dale Earnhardt on a trail that had a posted speed limit on it.

Premium Features