• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Phazer MTX missing at WOT

T

tactrat

Mar 3, 2010
MT
A buddy was riding the wife's Phazer on Friday and laid it over on the left side (oil went erywhere). Had enough oil left to limp it back to the trailer. Sat I cleaned the oil from everything and refilled with oil. All fluids are full again. Was test riding it today after adjusting the front shocks. At WOT is now has a miss, cuts out some. Lower rpm's all seems fine. Under warranty so taking it to the dealer tommorrow, time for first service anyway. Hoping the plugs just got fowled from oil in the air box, anybody have any thoughts?

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I would agree, most likely has a fouled plug.
I would also check the clutches/belt, to make sure that there is no oil on them.
Oil on the clutches/belt could cause it to over-rev and bounce off of the rev-limiter.

snocattin

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
NW Montana
I agree with MTN_VIPER's theory of oil on the drive belt.

This year I got in the habit of pulling off the drive belt every 2 rides and scrubbing it in hot soapy water. (I had a little oil issue last year) Also clean the clutch faces with carb cleaner.

Hope that's what it is, easy fix.

LG

T

tactrat

Mar 3, 2010
MT
I cleaned and degreased all surfaces where the belt makes contact so I don't think it is the belt slipping. I inspected the belt and did not see any oil residue left on it. I'm hoping it is just fouled plugs.

snocattin

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
NW Montana
I had a slight problem with mine when the oil tank vent tube spewed oil on the GEMS interface connector. It would miss and sputter down low, on and off. I purchased a can of electrical connector cleaner (not brake cleaner, it leaves a residue) pulled the plug apart and flushed the heck out of it. Problem is gone.

Good luck.

LG

T

tactrat

Mar 3, 2010
MT
Had the service done and the dealer changed the plugs out. Today was my first oppurtunity to test it out. I also widened the ski setting and set the front and rear shock springs to a stiffer setting to see how much less tippy it would make it, per info given on my other post.

The new plugs fixed the miss at WOT. Guess everytime you lay it over and blow oil into the airbox , you'll need to replace the plugs at $15 each. Has anyone made a resivoir bottle to catch the oil if you lay it over? At least then you could pour the oil back into the engine and not spew it all over the clutches and belt. I also remember reading about a shut off valve but can't remember what it is called.

The ski and spring adjustments were like night and day. Alot more stable and still stupid easy to lay it over and carve. It's still tippier than my poo but the wife is alot more comfortable with it now.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
[QUOTE

The new plugs fixed the miss at WOT. Guess everytime you lay it over and blow oil into the airbox , you'll need to replace the plugs at $15 each. Has anyone made a resivoir bottle to catch the oil if you lay it over? At least then you could pour the oil back into the engine and not spew it all over the clutches and belt. I also remember reading about a shut off valve but can't remember what it is called.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.[/QUOTE]

The shut off valve that you probably read about, is the roll-over oil valve kit that I build.
Here are some pics of it installed on a Phazer! http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7420707

Good to hear it was just the plugs.

Premium Features